The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shots on Intentional foul/Technical foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93739-shots-intentional-foul-technical-foul.html)

refd Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:14pm

Shots on Intentional foul/Technical foul

Having a brain fart again and have seen it done several ways and don't have direct access to a rule book.

A1 driving to basket on a layup while in flight B1 pushes from behind. Basket doesn't go in. How many shots are awarded for A1 and the ball goes out at POI?

Also, simliar type play. A1 drives to basket, B1 pushes from behind then A1 gets up and pushes B back. Intentional foul on B1, Technical foul on A1. Basket was no good...having a huge brain fart rite now. Any help appreciated...

JRutledge Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:19pm

One the first play not sure what you are considering this foul to actually be. By all accounts it can only be at most an intentional foul. If that is the case you give 2 FTs and the ball.

One the second play you shoot everything in the order it took place. And you give the ball to the offended team on the T because it happened last.

Shots being made have little to do with these plays if you are using NF Rules and have nothing to do with POI. All that would matter is how many shots.

Peace

Raymond Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:20pm

You haven't said what type of foul occurred in scenario #1.

In scenario #2 each foul carries it's own penalty and free throws are shot in order of occurrence. Throw-in goes to last team that was fouled.

refd Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:34pm

Scenario 1 is an intentional foul. Thanks for your help. I just wasn't sure if the shot went in or not if it mattered. But it doesn't matter because its an Intentional foul and not control.

JRutledge Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refd (Post 875071)
Scenario 1 is an intentional foul. Thanks for your help. I just wasn't sure if the shot went in or not if it mattered. But it doesn't matter because its an Intentional foul and not control.

The basket is going to count if the ball is in the air no matter what if the ball goes through the basket. There is no POI for intentional fouls. There are only POI if it is a double foul, double technical or simultaneous fouls.

Peace

sj Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:46pm

In his second play here who shoots for the intentional technical? Does it have to be B1 or anybody on B? I've hear it argued both ways.

Scrapper1 Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:49pm

Any team member can shoot any technical foul free throws. Even if the player is subbed in just for the free throws. Even if a non-starter is subbed in before the start of the game to shoot the free throws.

Who would ever say a particular player has to shoot technical free throws??? :confused:

Raymond Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj (Post 875073)
In his second play here who shoots for the intentional technical? Does it have to be B1 or anybody on B? I've hear it argued both ways.

By whom? Based on what rule?

sj Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:53pm

The reasoning was that it was the player who was contacted that would shoot. In this case B1. No real support for it but it's what he thought.

Scrapper1 Mon Jan 28, 2013 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refd (Post 875064)
A1 driving to basket on a layup while in flight B1 pushes from behind. Basket doesn't go in. How many shots are awarded for A1 and the ball goes out at POI?

All the answers you've gotten are correct. I'm just going to add some detail that may help you understand going forward. If it doesn't help, I won't be offended.

First thing to remember is that intentional fouls are always 2 shots and possession of the ball at the spot closest to the foul, whether it's during a try or not, whether the try goes in or not. There's no "and-1" with an intentional foul; it's just 2 shots and the ball. The only exception is if a player is intentionally fouled during an unsuccessful 3-point try. In that case, the offended player shoots 3 free throws. But other than that one case, you're going to give two free throws to the fouled player, regardless of what else happens.

Second thing, as JRutledge has pointed out, is that POI plays no part in an intentional foul administration. Possession of the ball is always part of the penalty. In your case, if you use the POI, you get a very unfair result. You have an interruption during a try (no more team control) that is unsuccessful. If you go to the point of interruption, you have to use the possession arrow, which could easily give the ball to the team that committed the intentional foul! Not a good outcome.

So don't think in terms of POI when dealing with intentional fouls. Just think 2 free throws to player who was fouled, and possession of the ball to that player's team at the spot closest to where the foul occurred.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 875072)
The basket is going to count if the ball is in the air no matter what if the ball goes through the basket.

... or if the try has started (it's treated just like any other personal foul for the purpose of counting the basket).

JRutledge Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 875081)
... or if the try has started (it's treated just like any other personal foul for the purpose of counting the basket).

Absolutely.

Peace

APG Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj (Post 875073)

There isn't one rule set that would mandate that B1 would have to shoot the technical foul shots.

Sharpshooternes Tue Jan 29, 2013 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 875102)
There isn't one rule set that would mandate that B1 would have to shoot the technical foul shots.

He asked about intentional fouls not technical fouls.

JeroenB Tue Jan 29, 2013 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 875271)
He asked about intentional fouls not technical fouls.

I believe the last situation in the OP involves a technical foul.