The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

25 cent pseudo-bribe

So I am at a funeral dinner today
, and one of my wife's relatives proceeds to tell a story from his high school days. This young man graduated from high school a couple years ago. He was explaining that he and several of his male classmates would attend the HS girls basketball games. During pre-game warm ups, when the officials were standing along the sideline, holding their arms behind their backs, these hucksters would slip a quarter into an officials hand, and say "There's more where that come from".

So, what would be the correct way to deal with that behavior?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

T whatever team they're supporters of and toss them from the gym

No really, I'd toss them the quarter back, and go about my business. What else is there to do?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Times have changed. Now they hold up one dollar bills. But nobody ever actually handed me one.

Not gonna say I can't be bought, but I definitely can't be bought for a dollar.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Times have changed. Now they hold up one dollar bills. But nobody ever actually handed me one.

Not gonna say I can't be bought, but I definitely can't be bought for a dollar.

I am the best basketball official money can buy () and $1 isn't going to buy me!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

One night I was working and a kid threw his wallet at the feet of my partner during warmups. He completely over-reacted and threatened to have the kid removed. Just over the top.

I would've walked over and pocketed it for a few seconds to see the kid's reaction, but that's just me. I would've definitely had a laugh about it.

(Side note for those in the know: It's the same official in an infamous video that's been posted recently and hinted at even more recently.)
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Put it in my pocket, never know when you might need a coin flip to decide something
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:04am
Archaic Power Monger

I'd buy him a beer ala Joey C.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

"You can't afford me" - then give the quarter back
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Looked Bad, Really Bad!

I had a situation this year that comes to mind when one considers someone trying to pay off an official. The cheerleaders in our town were raising money for something and they were selling Krispy Kreme donuts. (We have to have them flown into our town from Seattle) Well I bought a dozen and about 10 days later they arrived. As I was leaving the gym at night after working a kiddie game (6th grade). The mother of this cheerleader tells me that she has my donuts in her truck. (her son had just played in the game, and they won by two) I follow the mother and her son up to the parking lot and all the fans (about 50) are moving amongst the cars. She hands me this box of donuts and says fairly loud "thanks, we appreciate it." I told her this looks bad, really bad. Nothing like those small towns!
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
I had a situation this year that comes to mind when one considers someone trying to pay off an official. The cheerleaders in our town were raising money for something and they were selling Krispy Kreme donuts. (We have to have them flown into our town from Seattle) Well I bought a dozen and about 10 days later they arrived. As I was leaving the gym at night after working a kiddie game (6th grade). The mother of this cheerleader tells me that she has my donuts in her truck. (her son had just played in the game, and they won by two) I follow the mother and her son up to the parking lot and all the fans (about 50) are moving amongst the cars. She hands me this box of donuts and says fairly loud "thanks, we appreciate it." I told her this looks bad, really bad. Nothing like those small towns!
I dunno, a box of Krispy Kremes might just do it. Especially if the mom is hot
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Take the wallet, $1bill, $20 bill over to the scores table and say "someone must have lost this"
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If it's a quarter, I'd probably pocket it and toss it back to them as soon as I had a call that went against their team.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

My understanding is that the refs basically tossed the quarter back to the kids, chuckled a bit, and then told them basically "enough horsing around".

This kid also played basketball himself. He related the one time when they pulled the prank at a Thursday night girls game, and then Friday, the boys had the same crew working their game. Karma?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

All boys school

[QUOTE=Loudwhistle2;874038]I had a situation this year that comes to mind when one considers someone trying to pay off an official. The cheerleaders in our town were raising money for something and they were selling Krispy Kreme donuts. (We have to have them flown into our town from Seattle)

What's the budget these days for flying in the cheerleaders?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=letemplay;874096]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
I had a situation this year that comes to mind when one considers someone trying to pay off an official. The cheerleaders in our town were raising money for something and they were selling Krispy Kreme donuts. (We have to have them flown into our town from Seattle)

What's the budget these days for flying in the cheerleaders?
About $500 per person round trip. (50 dozen donuts ships for about $80)