The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shooting at wrong basket. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93519-shooting-wrong-basket.html)

jeremy341a Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20pm

Shooting at wrong basket.

Following a timeout in a 5th grade girls game. Girls were quite skilled by the way. Yellow has possession of the ball under the basekt at the far end line. Black coachs yell for them to be in 3-2 defense. Black sets up their defense in the back court but I believe they thought they were in the front court. I at first thought they were pressing as they had been the whole game. As I hand the ball to yellow for the throw in, black's coach yells for them to get back into 3-2. They turn and head the other way. Yellow then passes the ball in and shoots at the wrong basket. While the flight is in the air everyone is yelling "wrong basket." The only two who don't relize this are the shooter and the teammate who passed the ball in. The first shot is missed and the teammate who passed the ball in gets the "rebound" and sticks it back in. These two head down the floor now. As they ran away I whistled the play dead and instucted them it was still yellow's ball and instucted the table to give 2 pts to black.

Question: Should have I blown the play dead or should I have began a 5 second count on the yellow team since it was still their ball? What if the play had been higher level? I know that doesn't really matter according to the rules but in the spirt of the game perhaps it does?

Raymond Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 872063)
Question: Should have I blown the play dead...

Why should you have blown it dead? You said the players were highly skilled.

Quote:

should I have began a 5 second count on the yellow team since it was still their ball?

I don't understand this question.

MD Longhorn Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30pm

Quote:

Question: Should have I blown the play dead or should I have began a 5 second count on the yellow team since it was still their ball? What if the play had been higher level? I know that doesn't really matter according to the rules but in the spirt of the game perhaps it does?

No reason to blow it dead until and unless they commit a backcourt violation. And yes, you should be counting... although I'm not sure why FIVE is the number you chose. 8 or 10 depending on which ruleset your 5th graders are using. Most likely 10.

Indianaref Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 872070)
No reason to blow it dead until and unless they commit a backcourt violation. And yes, you should be counting... although I'm not sure why FIVE is the number you chose. 8 or 10 depending on which ruleset your 5th graders are using. Most likely 10.

I believe he means "5" second throw in count after the made points at wrong basket. Is that right?

jeremy341a Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 872073)
I believe he means "5" second throw in count after the made points at wrong basket. Is that right?

Correct, once yellow made the basket they ran down the floor to join the other 8 players thinking they were going to be playing defense.

The reason I blown it dead was that there was no one there to inbounds the ball and with it being a younger level I wanted to help them out. I later questioned that since there is no rule backing this up.

jeremy341a Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 872068)
Why should you have blown it dead? You said the players were highly skilled.

Highly skilled is relative to their age level.

I don't know that I should have. I felt it was best to get everyone back on the same page as it was younger kids. Perhaps I should have just counted the five second violation.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:13pm

I would do it as you did.

MD Longhorn Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:14pm

Ah. Now I see what you are saying. I'm not sure I'd be real quick on beginning the 2nd throw in count here. My first priority would be glancing over at the table to make sure they scored the basket for the correct team. (If not, you could stop things right there and fix it). If so - with 5th graders, at this point I'd be rather vocal. You said that SOME people were saying wrong way - hopefully a coach was one of them. Something like "Yellow throw in, right here" trying to get the coach's attention might be enough.

If not, yeah, I guess you have to start a new 5-second count.

The very first "wrong basket" play I ever had was a long time ago with a pretty good partner - the "wrong team" was even defending the play - and my on-the-ball partner had a 10-second count going that he may have rushed a bit - which expired before a shot was made. So luckily, all we had was a 10-second backcourt violation and not a basket.

Indianaref Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:15pm

At this age level I would have done the same.

maven Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872080)
I would do it as you did.

Me too. They paid the price for dumb play, now fix it and go on with the game.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:37pm

Anytime players successfully shoot it in the wrong basket, the play should be blown dead and the scorer instructed to count the points for the "team" who's basket the shot was scored in. They play will resume with an throwin anywhere along the endline for the team who didn't score.

Raymond Mon Jan 14, 2013 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 872077)
Correct, once yellow made the basket they ran down the floor to join the other 8 players thinking they were going to be playing defense.

The reason I blown it dead was that there was no one there to inbounds the ball and with it being a younger level I wanted to help them out. I later questioned that since there is no rule backing this up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 872104)
Anytime players successfully shoot it in the wrong basket, the play should be blown dead and the scorer instructed to count the points for the "team" who's basket the shot was scored in. They play will resume with an throwin anywhere along the endline for the team who didn't score.

I was just about to type something similar.

letemplay Mon Jan 14, 2013 02:47pm

50 shades...

Also, do not give ball back to "yellow"...give it to "gold":)

BillyMac Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:23pm

Rabble Rouser ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 872133)
Also, do not give ball back to "yellow"...give it to "gold"

Pot stirrer.

jeremy341a Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 872133)
Also, do not give ball back to "yellow"...give it to "gold":)

I see where you are going with this. Why do some officials not want to say the colors that have more than one syllable? Is it just due to the ease of saying the word or is there some other reason? I come from a school which has purple as one of their colors so maybe that is why it doesn't bother me. Although we were called blue much more than purple.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:48pm

At one time it was the standard. Now it's less so (but still common).

BillyMac Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:48pm

When In Rome ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 872146)
Why do some officials not want to say the colors that have more than one syllable?

Easy answer: Because some of us our told to only use one syllable colors, and some of us do what we're told. Check your local listings.

MD Longhorn Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:54pm

Quote:

I see where you are going with this. Why do some officials not want to say the colors that have more than one syllable? Is it just due to the ease of saying the word or is there some other reason? I come from a school which has purple as one of their colors so maybe that is why it doesn't bother me. Although we were called blue much more than purple.

One game we had orange vs Black. Partner absolutely refused to say orange, and kept calling them Red, no matter how much grief I gave him.

2 games later - same team, this time the opponent was red. I just looked at him and said, "OK, now what?"

Raymond Mon Jan 14, 2013 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 872154)
One game we had orange vs Black. Partner absolutely refused to say orange, and kept calling them Red, no matter how much grief I gave him.

2 games later - same team, this time the opponent was red. I just looked at him and said, "OK, now what?"

Orange becomes Gold. :D

I'm a one syllable guy. Me being color-blind also contributes to my preferences.

MD Longhorn Mon Jan 14, 2013 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 872163)
Orange becomes Gold. :D

I'm a one syllable guy. Me being color-blind also contributes to my preferences.

Ugh! It was almost a Texas orange. If he had insisted on not using "orange" I hope we'd have landed on brown instead.

Raymond Mon Jan 14, 2013 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 872167)
Ugh! It was almost a Texas orange. If he had insisted on not using "orange" I hope we'd have landed on brown instead.

I told you I was color-blind. :D

Adam Mon Jan 14, 2013 05:25pm

Quote:

I grew up wearing orange, but now it's red. Why? Because this isn't an area I care to stand out with.

Mregor Mon Jan 14, 2013 07:55pm

Quote:

Following a timeout in a 5th grade girls game. Girls were quite skilled by the way. Yellow has possession of the ball under the basekt at the far end line. Black coachs yell for them to be in 3-2 defense. Black sets up their defense in the back court but I believe they thought they were in the front court. I at first thought they were pressing as they had been the whole game. As I hand the ball to yellow for the throw in, black's coach yells for them to get back into 3-2. They turn and head the other way. Yellow then passes the ball in and shoots at the wrong basket. While the flight is in the air everyone is yelling "wrong basket." The only two who don't relize this are the shooter and the teammate who passed the ball in. The first shot is missed and the teammate who passed the ball in gets the "rebound" and sticks it back in. These two head down the floor now. As they ran away I whistled the play dead and instucted them it was still yellow's ball and instucted the table to give 2 pts to black.

You done good. It was 5th grade game. You prevented worse problems. Don't ask how I know.

Mregor

JetMetFan Tue Jan 15, 2013 05:18am

Are they smarter than a 5th grader?

Quote:

Yellow then passes the ball in and shoots at the wrong basket.

It isn't only 5th graders who do this. I had this in a BV game this year and yes, the team scored on itself.

OKREF Tue Jan 15, 2013 08:32am

Quote:

Purple is always blue.

BktBallRef Tue Jan 15, 2013 08:14pm

No white?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 872154)

Why two teams with dark colors?

CMHCoachNRef Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 872276)
Purple is always blue.

We have one assignor who insists on accurate color descriptions -- claiming that referees should be smart enough to use two syllable words. i can tell you there are a couple "purple" teams who don't appreciate being called "blue" especially when "blue" is the primary color of the opposing team's road uniform.

Rich Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 872396)
We have one assignor who insists on accurate color descriptions -- claiming that referees should be smart enough to use two syllable words. i can tell you there are a couple "purple" teams who don't appreciate being called "blue" especially when "blue" is the primary color of the opposing team's road uniform.

That's one assignor who needs to get a life. And I couldn't possibly care what the teams want.

To me, orange is a one syllable word and I use it, but it will be a cold day in hell before I use the word purple on a basketball court.

BillyMac Wed Jan 16, 2013 07:24am

I Always Pack A Color Wheel In My Bag ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 872396)
We have one assignor who insists on accurate color descriptions.

So he probably loves it when you say, "Gamboge. Five. Push".

Eastshire Wed Jan 16, 2013 07:53am

Quote:

I believe the main reason is vocal projection. One syllable words are easier to say loudly than multiple syllable words, particularly multiple syllable words with hard stops (like purple).

My schools colors were purple and gold, but you're never going to hear me say purple when I'm refereeing. I will say orange but I only use one syllable.

It always amuses me when the players come to me with concern on their faces that I apparently can't tell what color they're wearing.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 872364)
Why two teams with dark colors?

Youth league - each team only has the one jersey.

(We had black vs dark blue - that was problematic.)

BillyMac Wed Jan 16, 2013 02:06pm

Excedrin Headache Number Fifteen ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 872458)
We had black vs dark blue - that was problematic.

Blue with white numbers versus blue with black numbers.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 16, 2013 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 872501)
Blue with white numbers versus blue with black numbers.

Ugh.... Ok, I give! You win!!! :)

jeremy341a Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06am

When I was in school our home uniforms were gold with white numbers. The visitors showed up with gold with white numbers. They were different styles at least. Our team ended up wearing white undershirts under their tops. Many turnovers in that game.

Raymond Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 872629)
When I was in school our home uniforms were gold with white numbers. The visitors showed up with gold with white numbers. They were different styles at least. Our team ended up wearing white undershirts under their tops. Many turnovers in that game.

Which explains why the NFHS wants home teams wearing white jerseys.

Eastshire Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 872633)

It doesn't really. The NFHS could just require the home team to have two sets of contrasting jerseys and require them to wear whichever one contrasts with the jerseys worn by the visitors. Why the NFHS fixates on white as one of the contrasting colors is inexplicable (especially in soccer).

Raymond Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 872635)
It doesn't really. The NFHS could just require the home team to have two sets of contrasting jerseys and require them to wear whichever one contrasts with the jerseys worn by the visitors. Why the NFHS fixates on white as one of the contrasting colors is inexplicable (especially in soccer).

It's fixated on white so that if a school had a light colored as its road jersey it won't ever conflict with the home jersey, b/c the home team will always be wearing white.

Your suggestion above is extremely convoluted when there is really a very simple solution.

I'm not concerned about other sports, so my answer applies only to basketball.

Eastshire Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 872638)
It's fixated on white so that if a school had a light colored as its road jersey it won't ever conflict with the home jersey, b/c the home team will always be wearing white.

Your suggestion above is extremely convoluted when there is really a very simple solution.

I'm not concerned about other sports, so my answer applies only to basketball.

It's really not convoluted. Every team has two jerseys. There's no reason to not allow them to wear their dark jersey when it contrasts with the other team's jersey.

It doesn't bother me for basketball because it's been that way forever. In soccer, otoh, they're bucking with the tradition of the game for no good reason.

jeremy341a Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 872633)

It is a good idea because that game was a mess.

referee99 Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:00pm

Mechanics?

Quote:

Following a timeout in a 5th grade girls game. Girls were quite skilled by the way. Yellow has possession of the ball under the basket at the far end line. Black coachs yell for them to be in 3-2 defense. Black sets up their defense in the back court but I believe they thought they were in the front court. I at first thought they were pressing as they had been the whole game. As I hand the ball to yellow for the throw in, black's coach yells for them to get back into 3-2. They turn and head the other way. Yellow then passes the ball in and shoots at the wrong basket. While the flight is in the air everyone is yelling "wrong basket." The only two who don't relize this are the shooter and the teammate who passed the ball in. The first shot is missed and the teammate who passed the ball in gets the "rebound" and sticks it back in. These two head down the floor now. As they ran away I whistled the play dead and instucted them it was still yellow's ball and instucted the table to give 2 pts to black.

Jeremy,
My concern here would be mechanics at the spot of the throw-in not helping avoid the obvious confusion amongst the players. You say you handed the ball to the thrower. It's not a front court throw-in for them, so I would expect you to bounce it. Did you inform the thrower and give a visible signal as to whether it was a spot throw-in? In looking at the mechanics manual I don't see a specific mention (resuming play after time out) of giving direction (as in the start of a quarter), but I know I will give a visible direction as the teams break their huddles and take the court. Did you do that?

jeremy341a Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 872689)
Jeremy,
My concern here would be mechanics at the spot of the throw-in not helping avoid the obvious confusion amongst the players. You say you handed the ball to the thrower. It's not a front court throw-in for them, so I would expect you to bounce it. Did you inform the thrower and give a visible signal as to whether it was a spot throw-in? In looking at the mechanics manual I don't see a specific mention (resuming play after time out) of giving direction (as in the start of a quarter), but I know I will give a visible direction as the teams break their huddles and take the court. Did you do that?

As they broke their huddle I called out for yellow ball as I was standing on the endline. I remember saying to the yellow player that you have the baseline and can run. Black had scored right before yellow called timeout. I handed the ball to the player instead of bouncing because there was defensive pressure. I did not point in the direction that yellow should be going after the timeout was over. Should I be doing this after a timeout? I do it after an intermission. After a timeout I will just state the color.

I believe the confusion came from the fact that black had been pressing all game, they came up to press which brought all of yellow up. The coaches for Black then yelled "No you are in 3-2." Black moved into a 3-2 half court zone but did so in the front court. I think this is where the yellow brains went haywire that they were on their offensive end. While handing the ball to yellow the Coaches of Black yelled that they were on the wrong end. They retreated just as yellow was throwing the ball in.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 872697)
Should I be doing this after a timeout?

Yes. imo.

jeremy341a Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872701)
Yes. imo.

I always do if the ball is coming in on the sideline but for never do if it is on the endline. No reason, mainly bc I never thought about it.

Treeguy Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:58pm

Has a JV boys game last year, came in early and both teams had the same yellow jerseys on with very little difference in highlights. I am so glad I did not have that game. Afterward, I asked the refs if they tried to find t-shirts to go under one of the teams jerseys, and he wished he thought of that.

referee99 Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:28pm

Sounds like you weren't the problem.

Quote:

As they broke their huddle I called out for yellow ball as I was standing on the endline. I remember saying to the yellow player that you have the baseline and can run. Black had scored right before yellow called timeout. I handed the ball to the player instead of bouncing because there was defensive pressure. I did not point in the direction that yellow should be going after the timeout was over. Should I be doing this after a timeout? I do it after an intermission. After a timeout I will just state the color.

I believe the confusion came from the fact that black had been pressing all game, they came up to press which brought all of yellow up. The coaches for Black then yelled "No you are in 3-2." Black moved into a 3-2 half court zone but did so in the front court. I think this is where the yellow brains went haywire that they were on their offensive end. While handing the ball to yellow the Coaches of Black yelled that they were on the wrong end. They retreated just as yellow was throwing the ball in.

kids! Sounds like you did all you could do.

JetMetFan Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:16am

Quote:

I did not point in the direction that yellow should be going after the timeout was over. Should I be doing this after a timeout?

Put it this way: it can't hurt.

Quote:

I handed the ball to the player instead of bouncing because there was defensive pressure.

I've always found it interesting that the manual calls for the T to hand the ball to A1 if there's defensive pressure in the backcourt. I would think the powers that be would want the T to bounce it to make sure s/he starts with a wider view of the action. Plus, if A1 can run the end line and the T is standing next to him/her that could create a problem. Ah well.

Eastshire Fri Jan 18, 2013 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 872774)
Put it this way: it can't hurt.

I've always found it interesting that the manual calls for the T to hand the ball to A1 if there's defensive pressure in the backcourt. I would think the powers that be would want the T to bounce it to make sure s/he starts with a wider view of the action. Plus, if A1 can run the end line and the T is standing next to him/her that could create a problem. Ah well.

I have to admit I don't follow that. When there's pressure I tend to step further away to get a better angle on the defenders.

referee99 Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:24am

Agree with others...

I've never found that handing the ball put me in a better position to officiate.