The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   5 Fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93473-5-fouls.html)

TravisFL Thu Jan 10, 2013 08:14pm

5 Fouls

On a shooting foul were free throws will follow, when a player has five fouls and fouls out what is a the proper procedure in NFHS?

Example: A1 commits a shooting foul on B1, that was A1's fifth foul, B1 has 2 free throw shots.

Thanks.

BillyMac Thu Jan 10, 2013 08:25pm

Easy As One, Two, Three (Jackson Five) ...

1) Inform the head coach (Player is now officially bench personnel).

2) Inform the player.

3) Bye. Bye.

(Please let me post the video. Please.)

Triad zebra Thu Jan 10, 2013 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 871437)

2) Inform the player.

3) Bye. Bye.

1a. Notify timer to start the clock for the 20-sec replacement interval.

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 871437)

2) Inform the player.

3) Bye. Bye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 871439)
1a. Notify timer to start the clock for the 20-sec replacement interval.

0. Report the foul to the table.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:10pm

4. And when the replacement for A1 checks in, A1's sub comes in along with any other subs that have reported.

JugglingReferee Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 871447)
4. And when the replacement for A1 checks in, A1's sub comes in along with any other subs that have reported.

Good one!

No need to wait until before the last free throw to bring in others!

just another ref Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 871442)
0. Report the foul to the table.

It's already been reported. Or we wouldn't know it was the fifth foul.:)

Welpe Fri Jan 11, 2013 01:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 871471)
It's already been reported. Or we wouldn't know it was the fifth foul.:)

You might have known he was sitting on 4 already.

just another ref Fri Jan 11, 2013 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 871543)
You might have known he was sitting on 4 already.

I might have, but even if I did, what I know doesn't disqualify anyone. I have to hear that he has 5 in the book.

justacoach Fri Jan 11, 2013 02:31am

Somebody forget ...

Not required, but, somewhere along the line, notify your partners..

BillyMac Fri Jan 11, 2013 08:08am

Nothing's Simple ...

The Jackson Five were wrong, it's not as "Easy As One, Two, Three".

(Please let me post the video.)

Rich Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09am

I always go over this procedure with the timer. I'm going to the coach first and then I'm *immediately* coming to you to start the clock. One horn at 5 seconds. I'll handle the rest.

I've watched too many partners dawdle with this and essentially grant the teams a timeout while we wait. Not me.

#olderthanilook Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 871565)
The Jackson Five were wrong, it's not as "Easy As One, Two, Three".

(Please let me post the video.)

Do it!

tomegun Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 871596)
I always go over this procedure with the timer. I'm going to the coach first and then I'm *immediately* coming to you to start the clock. One horn at 5 seconds. I'll handle the rest.

I've watched too many partners dawdle with this and essentially grant the teams a timeout while we wait. Not me.

I agree that we shouldn't let this become a timeout, but I do one thing: I ask the coach if he/she has a sub or if he/she needs time. If they say they have someone and the sub goes to the table, we play. If they need/want time, I go to the table and have them start the time. IME the coach often has a sub and we can just continue with the game.

Rich Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 871615)
I agree that we shouldn't let this become a timeout, but I do one thing: I ask the coach if he/she has a sub or if he/she needs time. If they say they have someone and the sub goes to the table, we play. If they need/want time, I go to the table and have them start the time. IME the coach often has a sub and we can just continue with the game.

I like this suggestion. I'm going to use it. Thanks.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26am

Quote:

And, 50% of the time, the sub is already at the table, so I just verify with the coach or sub that the sub is coming in for #xx.

BillyMac Fri Jan 11, 2013 03:19pm

Please ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 871599)
Do it!

Sorry, I need permission from a moderator.

Rich Fri Jan 11, 2013 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 871701)

You know it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Sometimes.

BillyMac Fri Jan 11, 2013 03:50pm

Bad Timing ...

Quote:

I do not want to be suspended from the Forum right in the middle of basketball season, so I'm takng no chances.

Upward ref Fri Jan 11, 2013 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 871548)

Jurassic ref has passed away ? It's been a while since I've been on the forum,
I'll miss his straight shooting answers if so. :(

Raymond Fri Jan 11, 2013 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 871548)

Yep...I usually do that before formally informing the coach so that my partners are aware of the upcoming delay. If I'm the new C (high school) with free throws upcoming I'll step near the free throw circle until trail is ready.

Welpe Fri Jan 11, 2013 05:51pm

Quote:

Ok Billy knock yourself out. I'm feeling charitable today after tossing a coach last night.

Welpe Fri Jan 11, 2013 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 871723)
Jurassic ref has passed away ? It's been a while since I've been on the forum,
I'll miss his straight shooting answers if so. :(

Sadly he did. :( mick did too if you hadn't heard.

billyu2 Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:45am

Quote:

Nice idea; but if the coached is pissed or has been a problem during the game I'm not initiating ANY conversation that might give him/her an opportunity to say something derogatory.

Rich Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 871789)
Nice idea; but if the coached is pissed or has been a problem during the game I'm not initiating ANY conversation that might give him/her an opportunity to say something derogatory.

I think that goes without saying. But many fifth foul scenarios are not contentious.

billyu2 Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 871791)
I think that goes without saying. But many fifth foul scenarios are not contentious.

I agree. But for newer officials, it may be wise not to make this your routine procedure. Use some caution.

BillyMac Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05am

Stupid Sarcastic Coach ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 871791)
Many fifth foul scenarios are not contentious.

You're probably right, but my most recent head coach ejection, a few years ago, was in a "fifth foul" scenario.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post686961

(Note: It may be worth your while to read through the entire attached link. There's some classic Jurassic Referee stuff in the link, and one of the few times that I was on Jurassic Referee's good side. Poor JugglingReferee was not on Jurassic Referee's good side in this thread, but he did a nice job stating his case against a relentless debate opponent. I really miss Jurassic Referee, but he lives on, giving good advice, in cyberspace.)

BktBallRef Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 871447)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 871455)
Good one!

No need to wait until before the last free throw to bring in others!

Nor is there any need to wait until A6 reports. If subs are waiting at the table, they can enter before A6 reports.

Sharpshooternes Sat Jan 12, 2013 05:02pm

Quote:

yeah until they are mad at you for fouling out their player. Then they take as much time as they can get away with before they get a tech. Just follow the procedure outlined and that will save you any headaches with coaches.

Adam Sat Jan 12, 2013 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 871831)
yeah until they are made at you for fouling out their player. Then they take as much time as they can get away with before they get a tech. Just follow the procedure outlined and that will save you any headaches with coaches.

Had that last summer. I think he was surprised at what happened at twenty seconds.

Mregor Sun Jan 13, 2013 01:04am

1.1.1 Here, the non-calling official (2-man) has to notify the coach.

Rich Sun Jan 13, 2013 01:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 871832)
Had that last summer. I think he was surprised at what happened at twenty seconds.

I can only imagine. I had a similar thing in a varsity game a few years ago. He figured I'd ask and then ask again and then ask again. He was wrong.

mj Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mregor (Post 871905)
1.1.1 Here, the non-calling official (2-man) has to notify the coach.

This mechanic to me is idiotic. I understand if you expect confrontation you should do it (maybe). But to do it all the time makes no sense. Part of our job is to explain certain calls/non-calls to coaches. You have to be able to communicate with them. Now if you follow the mechanic and have the non-calling official notify the coach, to me it looks like you are going to hide in the corner and let your partner take care of the dirty work.

BillyMac Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:51am

Most In My Little Corner Of Connecticut Handle It This Way ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 871931)
I understand if you expect confrontation you should do it (maybe). But to do it all the time makes no sense. Part of our job is to explain certain calls/non-calls to coaches. You have to be able to communicate with them.

From my pregame: Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.

Mregor Sun Jan 13, 2013 03:43pm

Quote:

This mechanic to me is idiotic. I understand if you expect confrontation you should do it (maybe). But to do it all the time makes no sense. Part of our job is to explain certain calls/non-calls to coaches. You have to be able to communicate with them. Now if you follow the mechanic and have the non-calling official notify the coach, to me it looks like you are going to hide in the corner and let your partner take care of the dirty work.

Didn't say I agree with it, but when the state assignor says this is the mechanic they want used, you need to do as they say. When in Rome...

JRutledge Sun Jan 13, 2013 06:27pm

Quote:

I do not agree that it is our job to explain a call we made. It is our job to inform them they have a player that fouled out. It is a courtesy based on their actions that might get me to explain a call. And certainly if a player has fouled out, I am not explaining a whole lot. As stated, by far most times the coach already knows and already has a sub at the table or within seconds of reporting.

Peace