The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First to touch? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93417-first-touch.html)

bigda65 Sat Jan 05, 2013 07:36pm

First to touch?

When a player saves the ball from going out of bounds, can he come back inbounds and touch it before anyone else touches it?
Can you give me the High School rule where it says you can or cant do this?
thanks.

rekent Sat Jan 05, 2013 07:45pm

If his momentum is what took him OOB and he did not voluntarily go out or gain an advantage by delaying his return to the court, yes he can be the first to touch.

Look at casebook 7.1.1 (or just look at the conversation here where it has already been discussed and Nevadaref so kindly posted the case).

bigda65 Sat Jan 05, 2013 08:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 870309)
If his momentum is what took him OOB and he did not voluntarily go out or gain an advantage by delaying his return to the court, yes he can be the first to touch.

Look at casebook 7.1.1 (or just look at the conversation here where it has already been discussed and Nevadaref so kindly posted the case).

thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed.

I just became a millionare! (I will not get paid of course)

Sharpshooternes Sat Jan 05, 2013 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigda65 (Post 870311)
thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed.

I just became a millionare! (I will not get paid of course)

Who did you bet and what are your backgrounds? Coaches, fans officials etc?

Adam Sat Jan 05, 2013 08:37pm

Quote:

There is no situation in high school where it is a violation to be the first to touch the ball (other than the thrower on a throw in pass.)

just another ref Sat Jan 05, 2013 08:51pm

Quote:

Just to clarify: Going out voluntarily and delaying his return have nothing to do with touching the ball. These are infractions whether he touches the ball afterward or not. He can't touch the ball because it will already be dead.

bigda65 Sat Jan 05, 2013 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 870312)
Who did you bet and what are your backgrounds? Coaches, fans officials etc?

I coach youth ball, Ref rec games, mostly umpire baseball. I bet the referee (he is a good friend).

My kid threw the ball inbounds, and went through my other players hands, He chased it to the sideline and knocked it back inbounds, he stepped back on the court and started dribbling. He blew the whistle and called oob. I asked why, he said you couldnt do that, so I bet him a million that he could.

all friendly, no words as I said he is a good friend, and I thought a pretty good official.

Adam Sat Jan 05, 2013 09:16pm

Did it actually hit "the other player's hands?"

rekent Sat Jan 05, 2013 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 870318)
Just to clarify: Going out voluntarily or delaying his return have nothing to do with touching the ball. These are infractions whether he touches the ball afterward or not. He can't touch the ball because it will already be dead.

While they do not have to do specifically with "touching the ball," they are still an aspect of the overall situation that must be looked at if/when this play takes place. Even the case play explicitly mentions the voluntary aspect. My memory is failing me at the moment though, what is the rule reference on the delayed return back inbounds infraction?

just another ref Sat Jan 05, 2013 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 870322)
While they do not have to do specifically with "touching the ball," they are still an aspect of the overall situation that must be looked at if/when this play takes place. Even the case play explicitly mentions the voluntary aspect. My memory is failing me at the moment though, what is the rule reference on the delayed return back inbounds infraction?

10-3-2: A player shall not purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after being legally out of bounds.

technical foul

rekent Sat Jan 05, 2013 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 870324)
10-3-2: A player shall not purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after being legally out of bounds.

technical foul

Thanks, was drawing a blank and seemed to keep looking right past it.

bigda65 Sat Jan 05, 2013 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 870321)
Did it actually hit "the other player's hands?"

yes, actually through the hands, then the side of the head. :D

Adam Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigda65 (Post 870327)
yes, actually through the hands, then the side of the head. :D

Ouch. He wouldn't be the first good official to misunderstand this particular rule.

Raymond Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 870322)
While they do not have

to do specifically with "touching the ball," they are still an aspect of the overall situation that must be looked at if/when this play takes place. Even the case play explicitly mentions the voluntary aspect. My memory is failing me at the moment though, what is the rule reference on the delayed return back inbounds infraction?

That concerns throw-ins, not this situation.

just another ref Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 870336)
That concerns throw-ins, not this situation.

10-3-2 does not distinguish between the thrower-in and any other player who is legally out of bounds.