The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flagrant T v. T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93337-flagrant-t-v-t.html)

rekent Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 868582)
I also got my start in intramurals in college. Great time, some partners better than others, eventually got to work in Assembly Hall (Indiana).

Anyways. There were nights, working at least two games, where I'd have four or more tech's. I honestly didn't care if a player swore because he missed a shot or made a bad pass or whatever, but the minute he swore at us, or at his opponent, bang.

Officiating peers is tough, no doubt. Those games can get out of hand if you don't have the cajones to take care of business.

Oh I certainly was able to take care of business, was just hobbled a little by partners not calling and my limitations in what I could issue.

I had the same policy, something said when you are upset at yourself or team was ok as long as it couldn't be heard net court over, but anything at me or in taunting an opponent and you're whacked quick.

JetMetFan Tue Dec 25, 2012 06:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 868586)
Oh I certainly was able to take care of business, was just hobbled a little by partners not calling and my limitations in what I could issue.

I had the same policy, something said when you are upset at yourself or team was ok as long as it couldn't be heard net court over, but anything at me or in taunting an opponent and you're whacked quick.

I feel bad for you during those first three years. Back in my college intramural days we were encouraged to take care of that sort of stuff, regardless of whether it was one official giving both. We had an extra element for two of my years: if someone received an unsportsmanlike tech, they had to work for us for one night before they'd be allowed to play again. Guys really cleaned up their act those years once they realized how tough it is.

rekent Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 868604)
I feel bad for you during those first three years.

Really it wasn't that bad overall. There were those occasional trouble games or trouble players, but often we knew they were coming. It was a good way to get started and learn in sort of a no-risk environment. Plus, some of the games were great lessons in dealing with slop or games that try to put you to sleep where you have to focus on keeping intensity up and performing like any other game.

AKOFL Tue Dec 25, 2012 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 868575)
Yes, this is interesting. I find that many rec leagues bend the other way and are quick to issue flagrants, even if they don't call them that and probably sometimes don't even know the term.

"You! Get out!"

i used "your done":)

stiffler3492 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 868604)
We had an extra element for two of my years: if someone received an unsportsmanlike tech, they had to work for us for one night before they'd be allowed to play again. Guys really cleaned up their act those years once they realized how tough it is.

I still love this policy for intramural or rec league situations.