The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Post game conference

It's rare that we have a post game conference.

I think they are a good idea. I am now in my 13th year of refereeing and I have tried to have a post game conference a couple of times.

We talked about certain plays, in one, we had a BC call on a rebound, I was the C and didn't see any control before the BC. I asked partner about it and partner let me know that he knew the rule and had the correct call.

In another game with a different partner, we had a Blocking call made when the offense player turned and knocked down the defender. I asked the partner if he understood that no time or distance was needed for the defender to take position with the offensive player with the ball. He said, no the defender had to give the player space. I explained different and he said the defender moved into the O player.

I was trail, he was C and Lead was coming to the play and we both thought it was a player control foul, but no we were incorrect.

At any rate, partners do not want to talk about the game when it is over. Shame.

Does anyone else do post game conferences? Experiences?
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

I try to brign up things I might have gotten wrong or was not sure about.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I had one partner call a player control foul on a defender....confused me completely, fortunately, I had the shooter. I did forget to talk to him about it after the game, it was a busy night. Sometimes I do 2 games in 1 night.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:34pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm usually the junior guy, but not shy. So, depending on the crew, I will initiate a conversation if no one else does.

I like to talk about certain calls, impressions on plays, rules interps if applicable, and what they thought of the game, issues with any of my calls, problems encountered, how we handled players and coaches, etc.

Usually only lasts a few minutes, but I find it worth it as I can still learn a lot.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

I like to ask my partners if they have anything to discuss. However, i get a little annoyed when this turns into an open critique on only me. I like constructive feedback but some guys really suck at it. I especially get annoyed when its someone who I didnt feel did a very good job themself. This is probably what keeps guys from wanting to discuss the game.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I like to ask my partners if they have anything to discuss. However, i get a little annoyed when this turns into an open critique on only me. I like constructive feedback but some guys really suck at it. I especially get annoyed when its someone who I didnt feel did a very good job themself. This is probably what keeps guys from wanting to discuss the game.
I've honestly got no problem. I figure if they don't want to discuss things, they won't get better. That either means they don't need to, or they'll be stuck in low level games til they get it.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

I always talk about the game afterwards and in the locker room. I can hardly think of a time when we don't talk about the game. Now it might be more extensive with some partners, but there is always a question about a play or a situation with a coach or other unusual situations. It is just what we do in my experiences. Some times there is a lot more talk than others, but it is never silent after the game.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Try starting the post game by asking each official about which call they liked the best, and the call they liked the least.

I had a similar situation during halftime of a college game once. We had put a few too many unnecessary whistles into the game, there was no flow, and the teams were getting frustrated as a result. Went in at halftime, asked my partners if there was anything we could have passed on. The room was silent. So I took the initiative to say that I had 2 or 3 whistles that I wish I hadn't had. We started to review these plays and next thing you know we are having some positive communication about how we could improve things.

The second half went much better.

The post game was really good in that most of our discussions were about the improved call selection.

I have used this approach numerous times and it gets people talking about themselves - and face it, referees like to talk . Each official gets to direct the discussion rather than singling out one person.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

post game is just as important for learning as a pre game. You are missing out if you don't post game imho.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akofl View Post
post game is just as important for learning as a pre game. You are missing out if you don't post game imho.
+1
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 06:13am
This IS My Social Life

Post Game "Likes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Post game discussions often become agenda items for the next game's pregame. Post game gives us ideas of what to especially look for on video the next day. Post game is particularly significant if there's a fill-in member of the crew who can help identify things we're accustomed to doing that aren't really good. Post game debriefing is better than everyone dressing as fast as possible and scurrying off site as if happy to get out of there.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow, there's a lot in this post.

Why are most of your partners critiquing you?

How much experience do you have? When you ref lower level games, do you stay and watch the varsity level? I did for years.

I would sit and say " Why didn't they call that?", "Why did they call that?"

I learned and it helped me become a better official. I also want the more experienced officials to tell me what they think, if I missed anything and I can learn from that.

I am in my 13th year, we never stop learning and someone else has a different view of what happened on every play.

On one play with a junior partner, ( 2 man ) I clearly saw the defender lean into the air born shooter, he called a charge. I am not sure what he saw, but it was his call, not mine.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Post Game Conference ...

Very common post game conference "ice breaker" here in my little corner of Connecticut, especially among veterans, both varsity, and subvarsity, is, "So what did you see?", or, "Got anything to help me out?.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:28am
Back from the DL

I prefer to have them, but it really depends on the partner.

While my previous JV game's partner was eager to get out of there, I asked the varsity officials (two man) if I could do halftime and postgame with them. They graciously included me, and it was one of the best experiences I've had this season.

I watched the game from one end line, near the locker rooms. Between the first and second quarters, the umpire came to me and said we'll be talking about one particular call at halftime, and how advantage/disadvantage plays a role. (It certainly helped that the possession arrow was pointing in my direction.) At halftime, we talked about a few plays, they asked my opinion of the goings-on, and the umpire threw in some valuable feedback and constructive criticism of my work.

Second half, the R has an easy PC foul. A fan whines that the defender was "under the basket!" The R looks at me and says, "will you tell that guy that's a college rule?!" Later, a few from that contingent start directing their objections toward me. I could just grin.

Bottom line: Ask the vets for inclusion. Those that appreciate passion will let you in. Two years ago, my JV partner did this, and I joined the lot. Two weeks ago, I worked a JV game, and that same partner had the varsity one after me.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

What ??? Me ???

Many, many years ago, way back in the late twentieth century, I, as a young, inexperienced official (with dark hair), was watching a state tournament game from the bleachers. At halftime, the referee, one of our best, and most experienced, officials, motioned to me to come up to the locker room. I was listening to the the halftime conference when the referee asked me, "So, BillyMac, what did you see?". I was astounded that such a respected, and experienced, official, would ask this of a young whippersnapper. I actually had something to contribute regarding a throwin that didn't touch anybody on the court, that was missed by both officials due to some poor communication.

That's the way it used to be around here, everybody helping everybody else to become a better official. Not so much anymore. Now it seems to be every man for himself.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)