The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Hand checks are NON shooting fouls!" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93287-hand-checks-non-shooting-fouls.html)

Hartsy Wed Dec 19, 2012 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 867663)
I enjoy "collecting" myths.

also from last night, "how can he he have a closely guarded count while the dribbler is moving forward?"

APG Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:27pm

I've never seen anyone call a handcheck on a shooting foul and I don't think I will be either. At that point, it's usually a push...maybe a hold.

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:51pm

Oh wise members of the board-a couple of years ago someone wrote a list of most misunderstood basketball rules.can whoever posted that post it again?

JRutledge Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 867932)
I've never seen anyone call a handcheck on a shooting foul and I don't think I will be either. At that point, it's usually a push...maybe a hold.

I have something against calling holds on shots for some reason. Usually call an "Illegal use of hands" on shooting fouls.

Peace

Sharpshooternes Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy (Post 867860)
also from last night, "how can he he have a closely guarded count while the dribbler is moving forward?"

I had a new one tonight. I took a charge in a game (I was playing), and the guy who committed it said, "That can't be a charge, it was in the key." :rolleyes:

bainsey Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 867937)
I have something against calling holds on shots for some reason. Usually call an "Illegal use of hands" on shooting fouls.

I can't say I see many holds on shots, either. It's typically a block, or "illegal contact," as we're instructed to call it. (I suppose all fouls are illegal contact, so it's hard to go wrong there.) I still can't rule out a hand check.

I've always tried to be precise with the type of foul, but I'm starting to get the impression most really don't care.

VaTerp Thu Dec 20, 2012 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 867999)
I can't say I see many holds on shots, either. It's typically a block, or "illegal contact," as we're instructed to call it. (I suppose all fouls are illegal contact, so it's hard to go wrong there.) I still can't rule out a hand check.

I've always tried to be precise with the type of foul, but I'm starting to get the impression most really don't care.

I don't get the impression that most don't care. I always try to be precise, even adding "non-approved" NFHS mechanics if a player gets hit on the head or something.

But I think the overwhelming majority do see hand checks as a foul on a dribbler. Once a player gets into their shooting motion if the hand is there it is effectively a push or illegal use of hands.

I'm still trying to envision a play where I would even think about calling a hand check on a shot attempt.

JRutledge Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:35pm

Quote:

I do not know what you mean by thinking others do not care. I think a hand check is not an appropriate foul for a shooting foul. Honestly I wish the NF would open up some of the signals that you see at other levels to be more descriptive. Hand checking be what has been described has always been on the ball handler and preventing movement with the ball. Shooting fouls usually involve another set of contact IMHO.

Peace

Camron Rust Fri Dec 21, 2012 02:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 868113)
I do not know what you mean by thinking others do not care. I think a hand check is not an appropriate foul for a shooting foul. Honestly I wish the NF would open up some of the signals that you see at other levels to be more descriptive. Hand checking be what has been described has always been on the ball handler and preventing movement with the ball. Shooting fouls usually involve another set of contact IMHO.

Peace

For that matter, until a few years ago, there was no such foul as a hand check. Every single hand check could properly be described as either a hold, a push, or illegal use of hands. Hand check is really redundant but offer just a bit more of a descriptive term.

RookieDude Fri Dec 21, 2012 05:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 867937)
Usually call an "Illegal use of hands" on shooting fouls.

...as I also do.

JR...how do you VERBALIZE it"?

I hate saying 5 or 6 syllables when reporting...so I usually don't...I just give them the color, number and visual foul signal on an "illegal use of hands".

I like the one syllable fouls (getting rid of the ing)...block...push...hold...charge...

the two syllable fouls...hand check...

the three syllable fouls...team control...double foul (I do verbalize "foul" on this for some reason...probably becuase it is not seen much and it is only two words)

even the four syllable fouls...intentional...player control...technical foul(using "foul" for the same reason listed above)

but that crazy six syllable, four word foul...illegal use of hand...is hard to spit out and sounds weak...IMO.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 21, 2012 08:23am

Don't say anything -- just give the signal.

"White -- 32" (signal) "two shots'

Or, say "hit" or "hack"

RookieDude Fri Dec 21, 2012 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 868156)
Don't say anything -- just give the signal.

"White -- 32" (signal) "two shots'

Or, say "hit" or "hack"

Yes...I usually don't say anything...just give the signal.

I have tried the "hit" verbage...not bad, I suppose.

I have heard an official use the "hack" verbage...didn't really like it.

I can always use my one word substitute..."boom"...but suggest others not try this at home (or away for that matter) ;)

Raymond Fri Dec 21, 2012 08:55am

I will verbalize whatever it takes to get info to the coaches. Sometimes it may be silence on an obvious foul. But I say all kinds of things: grabbed his arm; hit to the face; trip; push in the back; on the elbow. Cuts down on those "what did he do" sidebars.

RookieDude Fri Dec 21, 2012 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 868163)
I will verbalize whatever it takes to get info to the coaches. Sometimes it may be silence on an obvious foul. But I say all kinds of things: grabbed his arm; hit to the face; trip; push in the back; on the elbow. Cuts down on those "what did he do" sidebars.

Sounds good...but what do the evaluators at the State playoffs tell you about it?

Rich Fri Dec 21, 2012 09:23am

Quote:

Bingo. I just go with whatever seems to come first to my mind.

That said, I will *always* show a hit to the head on a drive regardless if it's in the mechanics chart or not -- especially if it's contact that would likely receive a pass had it been anywhere else -- I want the coaches to know I called it because of the head contact.