The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   cheerleaders (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93283-cheerleaders.html)

SAK Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05pm

cheerleaders

Had the following, a roudy croud complaining that the home team cheerleaders were cheering during the visiting teams free throws. I dont believe that there are any specific rules about cheerleaders not being allowed to cheer at any time, but could it be considered disconcertion by anyone?

Adam Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08pm

Not disconcertion. Bad form? Depends on the area. And I try not to hear the crowds. Let game management deal with it as they see fit.

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 867630)
Had the following, a roudy croud complaining that the home team cheerleaders were cheering during the visiting teams free throws. I dont believe that there are any specific rules about cheerleaders not being allowed to cheer at any time, but could it be considered disconcertion by anyone?

And their point?

maven Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 867630)
I dont believe that there are any specific rules about cheerleaders not being allowed to cheer at any time, but could it be considered disconcerting by anyone?

It could be considered disconcertion by someone, but that would not be a correct application of the rule, which restricts disconcerting to players, particularly opponents of the free thrower.

Raymond Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:15pm

My only concern would be if they were standing on the end line between the lane lines

SAK Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 867636)
It could be considered disconcertion by someone, but that would not be a correct application of the rule, which restricts disconcerting to players, particularly opponents of the free thrower.

That is what i thought but initially but was wondering about cheerleaders being an extension of the team as they are part of the school and thus the opponent of the visiting team. Guess the visitors could always bring their cheerleaders and that would negate the argument.

SAK Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 867638)
My only concern would be if they were standing on the end line between the lane lines

Why would that change things? Still no rule and they are not in the way of the official.

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:23pm

Don't be a plumber.

maven Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 867640)
That is what i thought but initially but was wondering about cheerleaders being an extension of the team as they are part of the school and thus the opponent of the visiting team. Guess the visitors could always bring their cheerleaders and that would negate the argument.

Sure, they're an extension of the team, and so are the parents, fans, other students... But that's not a rule-book concept. :)

Don't mess with the cheerleaders.

SAK Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 867645)
Don't be a plumber.

Not trying to be a plumber that's why I said no rule. Wondering why location of cheerleaders matters.

APG Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 867640)

Ignore the fans...the same could be said anytime the opposing team's fans do the same thing. They wouldn't be complaining about that.

They aren't an extension of the team. They're simply team spectators...handle them as such. Let game management deal with them. The only concern I have with cheerleaders is making sure they don't get in my way.

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 867647)
Not trying to be a plumber that's why I said no rule. Wondering why location of cheerleaders matters.

Generally, keep them away from the area you would work as lead. But, if they are not using artificial noisemakers, as long as they are not using offensive language, leave it alone. It beats playing in a morgue.

Raymond Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 867647)

U r going to allow cheerleaders to stand along the endline between the lane lines while you are trying to officiate a game?

And on top of that you are going to allow them to jump up and down while an opponent is shooting a free throw?

ref3808 Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03pm

Not something that concerns me. Let site management deal with it.

bainsey Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:36am

Personally, I don't like it when cheerleaders yell during free throws, at any level. I don't believe that to be their role, and I don't know anyone around here that would allow that.

Equally, I don't like it when game administrators don't allow such yelling from student sections. I've seen that more and more, and I believe schools overstep their bounds when doing so.

As an official, though, I wouldn't get involved in either.