The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   cheerleaders (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93283-cheerleaders.html)

BillyMac Wed Dec 19, 2012 07:41am

Bench Personnel ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 867636)
Restricts disconcerting to players, particularly opponents of the free thrower.

Not only players. I believe that bench personnel can also be charged with disconcertion.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:48am

It's a "game administration" issue and different states / conferences have different rules for this and different views on who should enforce it.

Some might let the cheerleaders stand anywhere.

Some might restrict them to the stands (except during TOs, etc).

Some might say more than 3' from the endline and not in the lane extended and no cheering during free throws and pom-poms must be no more than 28" in diameter and mande of a nocsae approved pliable material designed so the "whooshing" noise cannot be heard more than 14.7 metres away.

IOW, all the answers above could be correct.

PG_Ref Wed Dec 19, 2012 04:03pm

Actually, the NFHS does prohibit cheerleaders from distracting (disconcerting) an opponent while shooting free throws. Most officials are unaware because it falls under the "spirit team" rules. Most places don't enforce it. Another area that we as officials have to be the experts on.

Bad Zebra Wed Dec 19, 2012 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 867858)
Actually, the NFHS does prohibit cheerleaders from distracting (disconcerting) an opponent while shooting free throws. Most officials are unaware because it falls under the "spirit team" rules. Most places don't enforce it. Another area that we as officials have to be the experts on.

News to me...rule citation please? Nowhere in MY rule book does the term "spirit team" appear, thus neither I, nor my partners have any expertise of cheerleader behavior (nor do I want any).

Personally, it sounds like a case of OOO to be concerned what the cheerleaders are doing. I'm more worried about getting the calls correct for the 10 guys in basketball uniforms on the floor. The ones in the short skirts are somebody elses worry AFAIC.

Camron Rust Wed Dec 19, 2012 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 867858)

If it is under the "spirit team" rules, then we don't care. We only enforce basketball rules.

just another ref Wed Dec 19, 2012 04:27pm

2-8-1 note: When team supporters become unruly or interfere with the orderly progress of the game, the officials shall stop the game until the host management resolves the situation.

A cheerleader shaking her pom-poms on the end line in front of the free throw shooter could be considered interference, in my opinion.

OKREF Wed Dec 19, 2012 04:31pm

They can be on the endline, but may not be under the basket from lane line to lane line.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 19, 2012 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 867869)
They can be on the endline, but may not be under the basket from lane line to lane line.

As Bob says that varies from state to state.
Each person should check with those in charge in a particular area.

PG_Ref Wed Dec 19, 2012 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 867867)
If it is under the "spirit team" rules, then we don't care.

That may very well be true, but some places do struggle with cheerleaders and NFHS has addressed it, as it does relate to basketball game management in some areas. That's why I said most officials are unaware of it. Coaches have brought it up before. And having as much info as possible can't be a bad thing. However, when in Rome ...

icallfouls Wed Dec 19, 2012 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 867630)
Had the following, a roudy croud complaining that the home team cheerleaders were cheering during the visiting teams free throws. I dont believe that there are any specific rules about cheerleaders not being allowed to cheer at any time, but could it be considered disconcertion by anyone?

Get into your rulebook :rolleyes:

APG Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:21pm

I don't think I'll be ever concerned about what's in the NFHS cheerleading rule book. I'm a basketball official.

BillyMac Wed Dec 19, 2012 09:40pm

Good For The Goose, Good For The Gander ...

Boys varsity game tonight. First half. Home cheerleaders were standing in two rows behind the endline and were swishing their pom poms (not cheering) during opponents free throws. I thought to my self, "That's kind of like a thread on the Forum". Second half. They were doing the same thing while their own players were shooting free throws. Unsporting? I think not.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 867635)
And their point?

+1

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 867640)
That is what i thought but initially but was wondering about cheerleaders being an extension of the team as they are part of the school and thus the opponent of the visiting team. Guess the visitors could always bring their cheerleaders and that would negate the argument.

You are thinking way too much.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 867868)
A cheerleader shaking her pom-poms.

:eek:

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I am sorry I just couldn't help myself. Bonnie, my better half, can't take me out in public anymore.