The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   5 second call on the backcourt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93268-5-second-call-backcourt.html)

egj13 Mon Dec 17, 2012 02:47pm

5 second call on the backcourt

8th grade game...partner calls 5 seconds in the back court. How many of you would have called him over and "over-ruled" him on that?

tomegun Mon Dec 17, 2012 02:51pm

Nobody should over-rule him, everybody should provide information to possibly prevent him from kicking a rule. After that, it is up to him.

Adam Mon Dec 17, 2012 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 867286)
8th grade game...partner calls 5 seconds in the back court. How many of you would have called him over and "over-ruled" him on that?

I will approach him and verify his call, giving him the information needed to change his call. He will make the final choice.

bainsey Mon Dec 17, 2012 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 867293)
I will approach him and verify his call, giving him the information needed to change his call. He will make the final choice.

There it is.

FWIW, I had one last year where my partner called a backcourt violation, when there was no team control in bounds. I approached him and gave him the info. He fixed it himself.

Raymond Mon Dec 17, 2012 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 867286)

Was it a girls game? Do they use NCAA-W's rules for girls in Montana?

JRutledge Mon Dec 17, 2012 03:57pm

And we should not be surprised by this at that level. I know I am not.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:03pm

Legal for NCAA Women's and FIBA.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. That said, at the level of game involved in the OP, I would have had a quick chat with my partner to give him a chance to admit to an inadvertent whistle.

egj13 Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:14pm

1. I put "over-ruled" in quotations because I didn't tell him what to do..just encouraged him to see his error.

2. It was a boys game but we do not use NCAA-W for this level in MT. NFHS rules were in effect.

Adam Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 867316)
1. I put "over-ruled" in quotations because I didn't tell him what to do..just encouraged him to see his error.

2. It was a boys game but we do not use NCAA-W for this level in MT. NFHS rules were in effect.

If he was dribbling, I don't think it would have mattered.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 867318)
If he was dribbling, I don't think it would have mattered.

that's correct.

BillyMac Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:21pm

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 867314)
Legal for NCAA Women.

I know more about neo Greek classic sculpture than I do about NCAA Womens rules, but can't you have a closely guarded five second holding count in the backcourt? If so, how many feet?

MD Longhorn Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billymac (Post 867328)
i know more about neo-classic greek sculpture than i do about ncaa womens rules, but can't you have a closely guarded five second holding count in the backcourt? If so, how many feet?

fify

Adam Mon Dec 17, 2012 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 867337)
fify

Nerd

BillyMac Mon Dec 17, 2012 06:40pm

Pointt Proven ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 867337)
fify

I told you that I didn't know a lot about it. Now, about that five second closely guarded holding call in the backcourt?

maven Mon Dec 17, 2012 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 867293)

He will, but depending on the circumstances we might not continue until he makes the right choice. :)