The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach yells "Foul!" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93235-coach-yells-foul.html)

stripes2255 Fri Dec 14, 2012 03:59pm

Coach yells "Foul!"

I am sitting at my desk without a rule book or case book on hand and heard this one from a colleague.

Team B is down 4 points with 30 seconds left and the coach yells to his players to foul. Player B makes a legitimate play for the ball but commits a common foul. Referee calls an IF for the play and then explains to the coach that if he yells foul, the crew will have no other option but to call IF.

Understanding that the coach should have some other "safe" word for this action, isn't this a misinterpretation of the rule and should be an unsporting T on Team B HC?

OKREF Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:04pm

Aren't all fouls at the end of a game when a team is trying to foul to stop the clock, by the book intentional fouls? Common sense must prevail here. Yes they are fouling on purpose, but as long as they make a play on the ball and the contact is excessive, I am calling a common foul.

johnny d Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:07pm

referee calling an IF here is going to have a short career working nothing but lower level games.

rockyroad Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:08pm

Don't have my books in front of me at work to give a quote, but there is a note in the rules book that says something to the effect of fouling at the end of a game is a legitimate tactic, and that a coach instructing his players to foul is not grounds for calling an IF...

Not sure where you got the idea for calling a T on the coach for that...

rekent Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 866911)
Don't have my books in front of me at work to give a quote, but there is a note in the rules book that says something to the effect of fouling at the end of a game is a legitimate tactic, and that a coach instructing his players to foul is not grounds for calling an IF...

You are looking for 4.19.3 Sit D I believe.

"Late in the fourth quarter Team B is trailing by six points. Team B's head coach begins to yell to his or her players to 'foul, foul, foul!' B1 responds by (a) grabbing A1 from behind, or (b) reaching for the ball but illegally contacting A1 on the arm.

RULING: In (a), an intentional foul shall be called. In (b), a common foul shall be called as B1 was making a legitimate attempt to 'play the ball.'

COMMENT: Fouling near the end of a game is an acceptable coaching and playing strategy. Officials must determine if a foul is intentional by judging the fouling act itself, not whether or not the coach instructed a player to perform the act"

rockyroad Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 866912)
You are looking for 4.19.3 Sit D I believe.

Comment: "Fouling near the end of a game is an acceptable coaching and playing strategy. Officials must determine if a foul is intentional by judging the fouling act itself, not whether or not the coach instructed a player to perform the act"

That's the one...thanks!

OKREF Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:15pm

Quote:

4-19-3
Comment: Fouling near the end of a game is an acceptable coaching and playing strategy. Officals must determine if a foul is intentional by judging the fouling act itself, not whether or not the coach instructed a player to perform the act.

Adam Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:15pm

Several years ago the NFHS issued a (thankfully) short lived interpretation that made this an IF for the reason stated by the official. This official needs to be more current.

And no, not all fouls at the end of the game are IF "by the book."

rekent Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 866913)
That's the one...thanks!

Love the iOS app's search function, no more thumbing through pages and quick answers always on hand!

Nevadaref Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 866915)
Several years ago the NFHS issued a (thankfully) short lived interpretation that made this an IF for the reason stated by the official. This official needs to be more current.

And no, not all fouls at the end of the game are IF "by the book."

Correct. That interp lasted for one season only. The current instruction is to judge the foul based upon the action, not what the coach is yelling.

OKREF Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 866916)
Love the iOS app's search function, no more thumbing through pages and quick answers always on hand!

I know. I was typing mine at the same time you were.

stripes2255 Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:23pm

Quote:

Not sure where I got this from either. Some conversation in the past that my memory only slightly recalls.

stripes2255 Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 866910)
referee calling an IF here is going to have a short career working nothing but lower level games.

Sad for me to say that the official in question here is a varsity level official for approximately 10+ years.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes2255 (Post 866922)
Not sure where I got this from either. Some conversation in the past that my memory only slightly recalls.

It has been published by the NFHS in a POE.

bainsey Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:45pm

What never made sense to me is, if you're going to foul, why not go for the ball? Isn't a steal better than putting your opponent on the line?