The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First JV Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93149-first-jv-game.html)

grunewar Sun Dec 09, 2012 09:51am

Agree JAR

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 865787)
Care to elaborate on how this happened?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 865665)
Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for the 2nd half throw in, WE didn't make a major errors.

Fixed it for you. This is NOT just you, this is your P and the table too.

Now, how do you prevent that from happening in the future?

Moosie74 Tue Dec 11, 2012 07:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 865805)
Fixed it for you. This is NOT just you, this is your P and the table too.

Now, how do you prevent that from happening in the future?

I failed to check off with my partner and the table to confirm who should have the ball.

The table did catch it right off as soon as I called the wrong team over before the ball was put in play.

I'm not sure why we didn't communicate that in this instance, however, I know for the next games I will make sure that everything is correct before anything happens.

RookieDude Tue Dec 11, 2012 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 866166)
I failed to check off with my partner and the table to confirm who should have the ball.

...and when do you think you should have "checked" this?

You will own this mechanic from now on.

At the conclusion of the 2nd quarter, at halftime, meet your partners at the center of the court. When the Coaches and players leave or are heading for their respective locker rooms...you and your partner(s) go to the table...grab your jackets...and MAKE SURE THE TABLE SWITCHES THE ARROW.

Bonus: Ask if someone is available to come and get you before 3 minutes.

BillyMac Tue Dec 11, 2012 09:44am

Blue Ball To Start The Second Half ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 866168)
At the conclusion of the 2nd quarter, at halftime, meet your partners at the center of the court. When the Coaches and players leave or are heading for their respective locker rooms...you and your partner(s) go to the table...grab your jackets...and MAKE SURE THE TABLE SWITCHES THE ARROW. Ask if someone is available to come and get you before 3 minutes.

We have the referee instruct the "table" to switch the arrow, and then announce to each other, and anyone else who may be listening, usually table personnel, and statisticians hanging around the table, which "color" will get the ball to start the second half.

Also, probably just here in my little corner of Connecticut, we both (two person in Connecticut) switch the whistle in our pockets as a double check to remind us regarding the direction that we will be going in to start the second half, but I understand that that's not done in other parts of the country, not that there's anything wrong with not doing that.

Raymond Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 866188)
...Also, probably just here in my little corner of Connecticut, we both (two person in Connecticut) switch the whistle in our pockets as a double check to remind us regarding the direction that we will be going in to start the second half, but I understand that that's not done in other parts of the country, not that there's anything wrong with not doing that.

I will put my GAME whistle inthe appropriate pocket during halftime to help me remember.

tomegun Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:31am

This may come back to haunt me after saying this, but I've never had a need for a second whistle and I remember who's ball it is. Is the second whistle because something could happen to the first one or to help remember who's ball it is?

Only thing in my pocket these days is my Fitbit One. I wouldn't want to carry a tic tac if it wasn't necessary. :D

Rich Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 866211)
This may come back to haunt me after saying this, but I've never had a need for a second whistle and I remember who's ball it is. Is the second whistle because something could happen to the first one or to help remember who's ball it is?

Only thing in my pocket these days is my Fitbit One. I wouldn't want to carry a tic tac if it wasn't necessary. :D

If my whistle breaks, I'll delay the game to retrieve another one. I carry nothing but a few LifeSavers, which I will use during the game if I feel so inclined. The only thing in my jacket pocket is a needle to deflate the (always) over-inflated game ball.

tomegun Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 866212)
If my whistle breaks, I'll delay the game to retrieve another one. I carry nothing but a few LifeSavers, which I will use during the game if I feel so inclined. The only thing in my jacket pocket is a needle to deflate the (always) over-inflated game ball.

I agree. I'm not carrying another whistle.

BillyMac Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09pm

Seinfeld ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 866198)
I will put my GAME whistle inthe appropriate pocket during halftime to help me remember.

Quote:

I've never had a need for a second whistle and I remember who's ball it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 866212)
I carry nothing but a few LifeSavers, which I will use during the game if I feel so inclined.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 866216)
I'm not carrying another whistle.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Adam Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11pm

I carry a spare in case the shirt loop breaks. I use a smitty and it's happened.

BillyMac Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13pm

When In My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:

Is the second whistle because something could happen to the first one or to help remember who's ball it is?

In my little corner of Connecticut, and probably only in my little corner of Connecticut, both.

Rich Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 866227)
I carry a spare in case the shirt loop breaks. I use a smitty and it's happened.

Don't use a Smitty. :)

Welpe Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33pm

But I like the Smitty...

I have a spare on a noose lanyard in my jacket. That's just the Boy Scout in me.