The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Simultaneous Free Throw Violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93127-simultaneous-free-throw-violation.html)

jayhop Wed Dec 05, 2012 03:20pm

Simultaneous Free Throw Violation

One of those things you read about but never think you'll go through. Well, we went through it last night.

I'm filling in on a boys freshman game.

33-32 team A leading, 10 seconds left.

A1 is at the line for the first of bonus free throws (1-and-1). A1 releases the shot, and B5 steps into the lane before the ball hits the rim. I'm L on the endline and give the prelim signal. Ball bounces off the rim, high in the air, then bounces again off the rim and B2 grabs it.

I blow my whistle, announce the violation on B and re-administer the foul shot. A1 makes the first free throw, misses the second. B rebounds, dribbles down the floor and misses a last second shot to tie it up.

We get back in the locker room and my partner says "I'm sure glad you blew that violation on B, because the ball hit the basket support up top off that same free throw."

:eek::eek:

We should have had a simultaneous violation and gone with the arrow, I says. He's not sure so we go digging through the rule book, and sure enough, there's 9-1-4.

Even worse, while we're digging through the rule book, one of the JV officials is overhearing our conversation in the locker room and says "Oh, I wouldn't overthink it. I'd just call the violation on B and get it over with. I mean, no coach is going to like that answer."

I answered back with "I don't care what the coach thinks, I'm getting it right."

No surprise that this guy has been a JV coach for the past 8 seasons...he picked the stripes back up this year.

Toren Wed Dec 05, 2012 03:25pm

For clarity

You are saying that A1's shot hit the rim, then bounced and hit the support on the backboard?

bob jenkins Wed Dec 05, 2012 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhop (Post 865150)
We should have had a simultaneous violation and gone with the arrow, I says.

Incorrect.

APG Wed Dec 05, 2012 03:27pm

2012-2013 Interpretations

SITUATION 1: While A1's free throw is in flight, B1, in a marked lane space, enters the lane. A1's free throw hits the ring and bounces straight up and hits a wire over the basket or hits the ring and goes over the backboard. RULING: The official should sound the whistle and call a violation on B1. A1 is given a substitute free throw. (9-1-4 Penalty 2b)

JRutledge Wed Dec 05, 2012 03:30pm

I do not think this is a violation on A. B5 violated and A misses shot hitting an out of bounds spot is not associated with a violation on a FT. If he missed the rim then that is another story.

Peace

jayhop Wed Dec 05, 2012 03:36pm

Well there you go. Thanks guys. I read 9-1-4 and mistakenly assumed missing the rim was the same as hitting an OOB spot on the free throw (ie, a violation).

Thanks for the clarification.

Eastshire Wed Dec 05, 2012 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 865156)
2012-2013 Interpretations

SITUATION 1: While A1's free throw is in flight, B1, in a marked lane space, enters the lane. A1's free throw hits the ring and bounces straight up and hits a wire over the basket or hits the ring and goes over the backboard. RULING: The official should sound the whistle and call a violation on B1. A1 is given a substitute free throw. (9-1-4 Penalty 2b)

However, what if A1's shot is a high arcing shot which hits a backboard support (such as a the strap used to raise the backboard) before making contact with the rim? Then A1 has violated and we would have simultaneous violations, right?

bob jenkins Wed Dec 05, 2012 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 865163)
However, what if A1's shot is a high arcing shot which hits a backboard support (such as a the strap used to raise the backboard) before making contact with the rim? Then A1 has violated and we would have simultaneous violations, right?

It would be treated as a simultaneous violation.

Rob1968 Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12am

Even, even worse. . .

Even worse, while we're digging through the rule book, one of the JV officials is overhearing our conversation in the locker room and says "Oh, I wouldn't overthink it. I'd just call the violation on B and get it over with. I mean, no coach is going to like that answer."

I answered back with "I don't care what the coach thinks, I'm getting it right."

No surprise that this guy has been a JV coach for the past 8 seasons...he picked the stripes back up this year.

Seems the JV official you dissed was correct. . . (maybe he reads this Forum, and was soft-selling his input.):)

jayhop Thu Dec 06, 2012 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 865301)
Seems the JV official you dissed was correct. . . (maybe he reads this Forum, and was soft-selling his input.):)

Actually, he wasn't correct. He made no commentary on the actual rule, he was saying you should just call whatever seems most obvious and would be easiest to "sell" to the coaches.

I wasn't dissing him. I was pointing out that we shouldn't make calls based on what the coaches think, we should make calls based on the rules.

Thanks for your input, though.

Adam Thu Dec 06, 2012 08:31pm

Your last paragraph sure came across as an insult.

jayhop Thu Dec 06, 2012 08:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 865472)
Your last paragraph sure came across as an insult.

Well, if you had been in the locker room, you would have understood the situation. Welcome to the communication limitations of an online discussion board.

If anything, what the JV ref said was an insult. He was borderline mocking us for digging into the rulebooks to try and find out if/what we messed up.

Adam Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhop (Post 865474)
Well, if you had been in the locker room, you would have understood the situation. Welcome to the communication limitations of an online discussion board.

If anything, what the JV ref said was an insult. He was borderline mocking us for digging into the rulebooks to try and find out if/what we messed up.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve a bit of ridicule.

BktBallRef Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhop (Post 865470)
Actually, he wasn't correct.

Actually he was correct. You were over thinking it. :)

Forksref Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 865158)
I do not think this is a violation on A. B5 violated and A misses shot hitting an out of bounds spot is not associated with a violation on a FT. If he missed the rim then that is another story.

Peace

Agreed. No different than the ball hitting the rim and then bouncing OOB.