The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illegal, unsportsmanlike substitution. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93113-illegal-unsportsmanlike-substitution.html)

rbmartin Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:53pm

Illegal, unsportsmanlike substitution.

I witnessed this at a middle school game last night. I was sitting in the stands with no game responsibilities.

Near the end of the game. Team B (visitors) is leading by 3. Player on team B (#44) is fouled and is shooting 2 shots. First inept looking shot misses badly. Team B calls full time out. After the time out a different player (# 42) goes to the line and strokes in second free throw. Referees do not notice any of this.

I only umpire baseball so my knowledge of basketball is somewhat limited but I assume that it is one or both referees responsibility to catch this infraction and penalize accordingly.

My question is if I were the official scorer (a task which I do from time to time) and I notice a case like this which goes unnoticed by the officials, can or should I bring it to the attention of the officials and if so, when?

Also just out of curiosity, what would the imposed penalties be in this case?

constable Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 864981)
I witnessed this at a middle school game last night. I was sitting in the stands with no game responsibilities.

Near the end of the game. Team B (visitors) is leading by 3. Player on team B (#44) is fouled and is shooting 2 shots. First inept looking shot misses badly. Team B calls full time out. After the time out a different player (# 42) goes to the line and strokes in second free throw. Referees do not notice any of this.

I only umpire baseball so my knowledge of basketball is somewhat limited but I assume that it is one or both referees responsibility to catch this infraction and penalize accordingly.

My question is if I were the official scorer (a task which I do from time to time) and I notice a case like this which goes unnoticed by the officials, can or should I bring it to the attention of the officials and if so, when?

Also just out of curiosity, what would the imposed penalties be in this case?

Technical foul charged to 42. 10-3-6-f.

Piss poor situational awareness by the officials. This should never happen. Timeout should never be granted without the officials knowing who the shooter is nor should play have been resumed without the crew confirming who was at the line.

Adam Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:00pm

1. The officials should have caught this.

2. This is a disturbing lack of ethics the coach is teaching these kids.

Raymond Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02am

After the made free throw I would have no problem with you hitting the horn to bring it to out attention

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 05, 2012 05:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 864998)
After the made free throw I would have no problem with you hitting the horn to bring it to our attention

Same here.

To the OP:

I suggest that the calling officials adjust their timeout granting procedure to verbally identify the shooter right after you verbally identify a timeout. Inform your partner who the shooter is, and inform the table at the very end of reporting.

After the timeout is over and the shooting team the huddle, ID the correct player and watch him approach the line. Intervene if necessary.

maven Wed Dec 05, 2012 08:12am

Quote:

After the made free throw I would have no problem with you hitting the horn to bring it to out attention

And at that point, it's one of the five correctable error situations, and we don't have to assess a T. Might want to...

Nevadaref Wed Dec 05, 2012 09:57pm

Quote:

I would prefer a horn as soon as the wrong FT shooter is given the ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 865031)
And at that point, it's one of the five correctable error situations, and we don't have to assess a T. Might want to...

Why do you not have to charge a technical foul to someone who deliberately infringes upon this rule?
Isn't that enforcing the rules as written?

maven Thu Dec 06, 2012 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 865239)
Why do you not have to charge a technical foul to someone who deliberately infringes upon this rule?
Isn't that enforcing the rules as written?

There's room for official's judgment on just this point. I can think of some middle school games I've done where the coach and players were so thoroughly clueless that this might have happened by accident.

In most instances I'd agree with you that we should get it.

ballgame99 Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:49am

My question would be, at what point do you call the technical? If the wrong shooter steps up and you catch it, should you wack him? Or just fix the situation?

bob jenkins Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 865294)
My question would be, at what point do you call the technical? If the wrong shooter steps up and you catch it, should you wack him? Or just fix the situation?

Judg\ment and what's happened in the game (and with this team) before.