The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:15am
Ok is the new good

Just the 2 of us

Coaches frequently will bag on your partner...say things like "I need 2 of you working tonight", or " why did your partner not make that call, it was right in front of him?"

You get the point..

Question: Do we address these type of comments? What would you say?

Thanks!
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

I don't usually address statements about my partner like the one you mention. If it's a directly derogatory comment, I'll address it. But something like "I need two of you tonight" doesn't even merit my attention.

Questions about my partner, "How can he not call that?", are answered with "I'm sure he'll tell you what he saw. Just ask him next time he's over here."
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The first comment gets a warning or a T.

The second, "I have no idea, I had the same crappy angle you did. You'll have to ask him when you get a chance."
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Coaches frequently will bag on your partner...say things like "I need 2 of you working tonight", or " why did your partner not make that call, it was right in front of him?"

You get the point..

Thanks!
Damn right I address it: "Coach, I'm not going to listen to comments about my partner(s)."
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

General Techniques:
Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident
body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps
once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next
time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it
on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be
over here in just a minute.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the
gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”
"Coach, I can't have you officiating this game."
"Coach, I understand you're not going to agree with all of our calls, but I can't have you question every
single one."
"Coach, if you have a question, I'll answer if I have a chance, but we aren't going to have these constant
comments."
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:01pm
Huck Finn

Indianaref, that is a lot. I hope you believe all of that if you are going to say it. You do right? I may entertain some of these a little more in a college game, but in my experience high school coaches aren't at the level to have that type of conversation. That is just my experience.

I shouldn't have even asked that question because I know people from Indiana maintain the highest levels of integrity and are generally good people. I guess it goes without saying where yours truly is from right? Go Hoosiers!
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

You get the point..

Thanks!
I don't say much to these comments, except for the odd "He made an excellent call on that play." If the comment is egregious, then I will warn. I almost always tell my partner about it so that he knows a coach is/how trying to work me/us.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
General Techniques:
Wow. My goodness. Do you guys work a 5-man crew, 3 guys on the court, and one sitting next to each coach so someone can have conversations with him?

Almost all of these 1-liners are too long to be said without compromising your ability to officiate the next play.

The advice above all this was better. Ignore statements, and back up your partner - "Coach, I'm not going to listen to complaints about my partner" - or just T it up if it's egregious the first time.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Wow. My goodness. Do you guys work a 5-man crew, 3 guys on the court, and one sitting next to each coach so someone can have conversations with him?

Almost all of these 1-liners are too long to be said without compromising your ability to officiate the next play.

The advice above all this was better. Ignore statements, and back up your partner - "Coach, I'm not going to listen to complaints about my partner" - or just T it up if it's egregious the first time.
My goodness????????? What you recommend in your statement is exactly what's in my guidelines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 01:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking We can make it if we try.....just to two of us....just to two of us.

Sorry, that is what came to mind first.

That being said, I would not respond to statements and let the coach hang himself after that point with some other comment.

I have asked "Are you questioning my integrity" before and usually that stops them in their tracks with that kind of rhetoric and comments.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My goodness????????? What you recommend in your statement is exactly what's in my guidelines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"My goodness" was wrt to the verbosity of several of those conversations with the coach. We don't generally have time for a conversation.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
"My goodness" was wrt to the verbosity of several of those conversations with the coach. We don't generally have time for a conversation.
None of the statements are long or wordy.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 02:11pm
Huck Finn

My fellow Hoosier, I also think that is a lot to say or even remember. It is always iffy when people suggest what someone else should say to a coach. The best thing to do it communicate using the (brief) language that comes naturally. I have an early season evaluation that proves some coaches will receive whatever you say how they want to anyway. Why bother with a lot of extra?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have asked "Are you questioning my integrity" before and usually that stops them in their tracks with that kind of rhetoric and comments.

Peace
I've used that a couple times. You can also throw them off their game by asking "Coach, do you have a specific question you need answered?"
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
None of the statements are long or wordy.
Oh. OK. I guess I'm the only one that thought so.

West Houston Mike