The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93062-jump-ball.html)

PP Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:08am

Jump ball

Jump ball to start the game occurs. Jumper A1 taps the ball to A2 who is in the front court. A2 does not catch the ball, but directs the ball and taps it to A3 in the backcourt. The official calls a back court violation and tells the table to set the arrow to Team B’s basket. Is the official correct?

Yes or No

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12am

Where was team control established?

tjones1 Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12am

Depends on if you consider the tap controlled.

I've always used the test if at the time of the tap if A2 requested time-out would you grant it? In my opinion, the answer is no, you couldn't.

If they considered it controlled then yes they got it correct.

If not, then no they didn't.

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 864212)
Depends on if you consider the tap controlled.

I've always used the test if at the time of the tap if A2 requested time-out would you grant it? In my opinion, the answer is no, you couldn't.

If they considered it controlled then yes they got it correct.

If not, then no they didn't.

Player control cannot be established by a controlled tap. He must either be holding it or dribbling it, tapping it is neither regardless of how well the tapper controls the ball's direction.

tjones1 Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 864224)
Player control cannot be established by a controlled tap. He must either be holding it or dribbling it, tapping it is neither regardless of how well the tapper controls the ball's direction.

What if the player "pushes" the ball?

PP Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19am

Where can I find the rule in the book ?

tjones1 Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pp (Post 864230)
player control cannot be established by a controlled tap. He must either be holding it or dribbling it, tapping it is neither regardless of how well the tapper controls the ball's direction.

Where can i find the rule in the book ?

4-12-1

PG_Ref Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 864231)
4-12-1

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP (Post 864230)

Where can I find the rule in the book ?

See casebook 4.12 comment.

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 864228)
What if the player "pushes" the ball?

Unless he holds it in the process, nothing. :)

Scrapper1 Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP (Post 864209)
Jump ball to start the game occurs. Jumper A1 taps the ball to A2 who is in the front court. A2 does not catch the ball, but directs the ball and taps it to A3 in the backcourt. The official calls a back court violation and tells the table to set the arrow to Team B’s basket. Is the official correct?

Yes or No

Regardless of whether the backcourt call was correct or not, the part in red above is incorrect. Once the violation is called against Team A, the ball is awarded to Team B for a throw-in and at that point, the arrow is set to Team A's basket.

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 864252)
Regardless of whether the backcourt call was correct or not, the part in red above is incorrect. Once the violation is called against Team A, the ball is awarded to Team B for a throw-in and at that point, the arrow is set to Team A's basket.

Disagree. If the bc call is correct, then A had established control of the tip, thus B gets the arrow.

Scrapper1 Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 864254)
Disagree. If the bc call is correct, then A had established control of the tip, thus B gets the arrow.

Shoot, you're right, of course. I was thinking about catching the tap, for some reason. I'm gonna go delete my post.