The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   PC foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93021-pc-foul.html)

OKREF Tue Nov 27, 2012 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 863609)
Agreed. In the video, the defense jumps and has a right to come down, the offense jumps out of his vertical plane and creates the contact. Turn it around. What if the offense jumps and prior to returning to the floor the defense jumps out of his vertical plane and creates contact with the offense. We have a foul on the defense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 863718)
Does this count:

This is what I said, and it is different than the scenario you put up. The difference is the offense jumping into the defensive player. I understand that there is a lot of experience on here and I am not saying I am right, just discussing.

Sharpshooternes Tue Nov 27, 2012 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 863720)
The act of shooting and airborne shooter are not necessarily the same thing. Honestly I do not care what your original thought process was, I do not have to work with you. ;)

You can think whatever you like. But when very experienced and officials that work different levels (exclude me from that equation) are challenging you on your rules knowledge, then that should tell you something. You have a lot of heavy weights taking you on about this issue. You would think that would click.

Peace

I was pretty sure I was wrong, just didn't know why. I use this forum to help me learn the rules better which I think is why everyone is on here. I can't quite tell if your comment is supposed to be condescending or just an observation. I know my rules knowledge isn't like those who have been doing this for decades and can quote from memory. I truly respect those people. I am just starting my third year as an official so I know I have a long way to go. Nevertheless, thanks to everyone for helping us noobs work through scenarios. And if you were being condescending, stop it. :D

Sharpshooternes Tue Nov 27, 2012 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 863724)
I am still waiting for an answer to this question.

Peace

Not quite sure I understand what you are asking.

JRutledge Tue Nov 27, 2012 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 863728)

You must did not realize I was commenting on the question that BNR asked those that suggested a PC foul should be called?

Peace

bob jenkins Tue Nov 27, 2012 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 863719)
My point was that Love extended into the path of the defender illegally, which, in your scenario the ball handler was still in a legal position. I would retract that statement now after realizing that an airborne shooter is considered airborne even though they may be on the ground but are in the act of shooting. But now I am confused becuase I have no idea what the H-E double hockey sticks Bob is referring to.

A player who is on the ground cannot, by definition, be an airborne shooter. A player holding the ball cannot, by definition, be an airborne shooter (but s/he can be in the act of shooting).

A player who has released the ball on a try is no longer in the act of shooting, unless he or she is an airborne shooter.

None of the above matters (I don't think) on this particular play, but can matter on different plays. Your (apparent) misunderstanding of the two definitions (and, iirc, other definitions) could cause you to rule incorrectly.

So, my gentle suggestion would be to read the book more (and read for greater understanding) and post less (it's NOT my suggestion that you stop posting altogether).

Sharpshooternes Tue Nov 27, 2012 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 863731)
A player who is on the ground cannot, by definition, be an airborne shooter. A player holding the ball cannot, by definition, be an airborne shooter (but s/he can be in the act of shooting).

A player who has released the ball on a try is no longer in the act of shooting, unless he or she is an airborne shooter.

None of the above matters (I don't think) on this particular play, but can matter on different plays. Your (apparent) misunderstanding of the two definitions (and, iirc, other definitions) could cause you to rule incorrectly.

So, my gentle suggestion would be to read the book more (and read for greater understanding) and post less (it's NOT my suggestion that you stop posting altogether).

I see the difference between act of shooting and airborne shooter. I read the book plenty. Dozens of hours every week including the off season. I only have 220 posts in 1 year. That isn't very many. What is the point of this forum if we can't ask our questions and talk through scenarios.

Raymond Tue Nov 27, 2012 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 863725)
This is what I said, and it is different than the scenario you put up. The difference is the offense jumping into the defensive player. I understand that there is a lot of experience on here and I am not saying I am right, just discussing.

Here's one to discuss then:

What if this were 3 feet from the basket and Love leaned/jumped forward to flip the ball off the glass. Would that make the legality of the contact any different?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 863728)

JRut was commenting on the above question.

Sharpshooternes Tue Nov 27, 2012 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 863735)
Here's one to discuss then:

What if this were 3 feet from the basket and Love leaned/jumped forward to flip the ball off the glass. Would that make the legality of the contact any different?

JRut was commenting on the above question.

If the question is asking whether it matters 3 feet from the basket or from the 3 point arc, I don't think so. Still a foul on the defender.

JRutledge Tue Nov 27, 2012 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 863726)
I was pretty sure I was wrong, just didn't know why. I use this forum to help me learn the rules better which I think is why everyone is on here. I can't quite tell if your comment is supposed to be condescending or just an observation. I know my rules knowledge isn't like those who have been doing this for decades and can quote from memory. I truly respect those people. I am just starting my third year as an official so I know I have a long way to go. Nevertheless, thanks to everyone for helping us noobs work through scenarios. And if you were being condescending, stop it. :D

This is my 17th year and will be my 17th doing varsity and it has been about 10 years I have done college. I go to college games every single year to get better and so I can see plays or to just improve on my game. I also am a clinician with my state as along with being on numerous boards for association and in leadership and teaching positions. So this is not my first rodeo, but this is also not just my background, there are others commenting on this topic with similar or more experience and I do not have to mention their names. You are basically telling very experienced officials you know more than them. And not only that, you used a very singular rule and not the other rules to make a point. That usually is a big mistake when you do that as there is a reason there is a definition for Airborne shooter and another for Legal Guarding Position, Continuous Motion and even Verticality. All of those rules apply in this play, not just the one reference you gave.

Now I am going to assume because of your experience level you are using terms that do not apply to the actual rule like saying, "The defender caused the contact." Actually it is not about who causes contact, it is about who is in a legal position and what they can do relative to having the ball and not having the ball. That is why I stated that if this was not a shot the contact still would have been on the defender and being airborne would have been irrelevant to the foul being called other than to determine if we are giving Love shots or not. I would still have a foul on the defender if Love could have dribbled a step or two would have moved in a way that the contact took place. The defender gave up his right to that position.

Also I would hope that you do not use this forum or any forum to learn rules. This is a place to discuss rules, but learning rules is about you getting in the rulebook and casebook and reading interpretations. We might discuss things associated with the rules, but we do not always discuss things that should be learned from IMO.

Hey, if you think you know a lot after 3 years be my guest. I was there you were too at one point and learned the more I do this how much others around me know or what I can learn from them. Now if that makes me condescending to question your limited reference to the rules and the fact that very experienced officials are also questioning those references you gave, then so be it. Honestly that is your issue if you cannot stand by your reference. If you cannot do it here, what do you think a coach is going to do? Then what you do think the assignor/supervisor is going to ask you when he/she sees the play in question? This is a tough business and if this bothers you then you will only figure this out the longer you do this thing we all love.

Peace

APG Tue Nov 27, 2012 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 863706)
What's great about all this is, none of us no what we would call until we have it and see it at full speed.;)

Really? I'd call this a foul on the defense easily. No questions asked. You may think this is a difficult play, but IMO, this is probably one of the easier plays we've discussed here.

OKREF Tue Nov 27, 2012 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 863741)
Really? I'd call this a foul on the defense easily. No questions asked. You may think this is a difficult play, but IMO, this is probably one of the easier plays we've discussed here.

As I said earler. I am overthinking it, and making it harder than it needs to be.

JRutledge Tue Nov 27, 2012 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 863741)

Yep.

Peace