The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flop, Still a technical? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93014-flop-still-technical.html)

johnyd Sun Nov 25, 2012 04:58pm

Flop, Still a technical?

Even though I have neither seen or heard of it being called, I was wondering if the "Flop" being a techincal foul is still in the rule book? I read the whole book this Fall but do not remember seeing it?? Did I miss it or was it removed?

APG Sun Nov 25, 2012 05:04pm

Assuming you mean NFHS rules, then the reference is 10-3-6-f

It's a technical foul to fake being fouled. I've never seen it called, never seen a situation in either my game or any other game where it was even close enough for this to be called.

johnyd Sun Nov 25, 2012 05:05pm

that's it. I thought it actually used the word FLOP. That is what I was looking for, 10-6-3. thanks.

OKREF Sun Nov 25, 2012 05:34pm

I have seen the opportunity to call this probably 10 times. Most often happens when a defensive player trying to get a charge and throws himself to the floor. Happened once in a game I was calling. Team down 40, in the fourth. I passed on it. Coach down 40 said if this was a closer game you would've had to give me a T. He thought it was a charge. I told him there was absolutely no contact, and I could have given your kid a T for faking.

Adam Sun Nov 25, 2012 05:42pm

I've called it, once.
There's a difference, imo, between faking and falsely anticipating being fouled.

Pantherdreams Sun Nov 25, 2012 07:34pm

Faking a foul is a technical. That being said "flop" is a misnomer (sp?). If a kid chooses to absorb or avoid contact by falling to the ground this isn't faking a foul. Difference between embellishing and faking in my opinion. it becomes complicated when afterwards they are looking for/barking about a foul call but at that point if you want to t them up you can use inciting or unsportsmanlike as the reason.

Freddy Sun Nov 25, 2012 07:39pm

One Resource

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnyd (Post 863351)
...the "Flop...

Here's a link to an article on the topic: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...TRlYThkZjcyMmI

just another ref Sun Nov 25, 2012 08:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 863365)
If a kid chooses to absorb or avoid contact by falling to the ground.........

This does not happen often.

Adam Sun Nov 25, 2012 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 863373)

Disagree.

Camron Rust Sun Nov 25, 2012 08:24pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 863374)
Disagree.

Disagree with the fact that they fall away or why they fall away?

Adam Sun Nov 25, 2012 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 863376)
Disagree with the fact that they fall away or why they fall away?

Disagree that it doesn't happen often for the reason stated.

just another ref Sun Nov 25, 2012 09:00pm

I'm saying it doesn't happen often for only the reasons stated. When a player intentionally falls to the floor avoiding/absorbing contact, it is usually for the purpose of imbellishment.

Adam Sun Nov 25, 2012 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 863382)
I'm saying it doesn't happen often for only the reasons stated. When a player intentionally falls to the floor avoiding/absorbing contact, it is usually for the purpose of imbellishment.

I knew what you were saying when I disagreed the first time.

Camron Rust Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:12pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 863374)
Disagree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 863378)
Disagree that it doesn't happen often for the reason stated.

That's what I thought you meant...but wanted to make sure.

Raymond Mon Nov 26, 2012 09:58am

Somebody let me know when an official calls a T for a 3-point shooter faking being fouled.