The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Four on the floor

Third year guy here: Some officials whom I respect and I were discussing a situation where there were four players on the court during a live ball and how the practical applications should go down. I would swear that I read somewhere that it's a T to only have four on the court, but I can't find it anywhere (hence this post).

My first year I had this happen. Boys freshman game: Following a time out and after making eye contact and not counting the players well enough, we put the ball in play. You know that feeling when people starting hootin' and hollerin' because something isn't right but you don't know what it is yet? After checking to see if my fly was open I finally figured it out and when the team with four got the ball and action stalled I blew it dead and asked the coach to send in the fifth player. Everyone kinda chuckled, I was embarrassed, and we moved on without any discussion or argument.

I have looked and looked and the best I can come up with is 3-1-1. I thought I saw it in the Official's Manual but whiffed when I went back to find it. Anyone know where I can find the rule on this one?

Thanks.

Last edited by Rooster; Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 05:19pm.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The T is for not having the players all return from a TO at approximately the same time. It's generally not called unless the last returning player gains an advantage by the play.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Casebook Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The T is for not having the players all return from a TO at approximately the same time. It's generally not called unless the last returning player gains an advantage by the play.
10.1.9 SITUATION: Following a charged time-out Team B is still with their
coach on the sideline when the official sounds the whistle to indicate play will
resume. Four players of B return to the court just in time to play defense as A1
attempts an unsuccessful three-pointer. B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to
B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass. RULING: A technical foul
is immediately charged to Team B for failing to have all players return to the court
at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission. While it is
true the entire team may be off the court while the procedure is being used, once
a team responds, all players must enter the court at approximately the same time.

What if B5 returns at a time when no obvious advantage is gained? He just walks onto the court and joins his four teammates, either during a live ball, or during dead ball, and is observed by an official walking onto the court. Citation please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 05:44pm.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's generally not called unless the last returning player gains an advantage by the play.
That's kinda what were thinking but then added the proposition of the opposing coach (a) insisting on a T and (b) losing his stuffing because we didn't call a T.

On the other front is there any citation where this is explicitly stated, unrelated to following a time-out?
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
That's kinda what were thinking but then added the proposition of the opposing coach (a) insisting on a T and (b) losing his stuffing because we didn't call a T.

On the other front is there any citation where this is explicitly stated, unrelated to following a time-out?
There's no T for having less than 5 players on the court (save for what's already been brought up). Now if you were working an NBA game, then go ahead and T away for less than 5 on the court.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Not that I recall. But nor is there any rule that tells you it's a T for playing with four.

As for the opposing coach, if he doesn't accept a quick explanation, and proceeds to be an a$$hat, go ahead and call a T. Just not the one he wanted.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
There's no T for having less than 5 players on the court (save for what's already been brought up). Now if you were working an NBA game, then go ahead and T away for less than 5 on the court.
By "working an NBA game" you mean selling lemonade in the stands, right? I don't think I'd have that authority.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=The Rooster;863242]
Quote:
Not that I recall. But nor is there any rule that tells you it's a T for playing with four.

Ach. Must've "learned" it in that dream I have where I officiate without pants on. Oh well, thanks for the effort.
Perhaps you saw it in an NBA game where it IS a T for having less than five players on the court..and perhaps that's where the coach was getting the idea from as well.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Ach. Must've "learned" it in that dream I have where I officiate without pants on. Oh well, thanks for the effort.
No worries. For more of us than we'd like to admit, the first few years of officiating are filled with corrections for rules we knew that just aren't so.

And don't let coaches get you to second guess yourself during a game. Feel free to hit the book to double check something afterwards, but don't let the coach influence your calls.

And I just had that dream.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 06:17pm.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post

Perhaps you saw it in an NBA game where it IS a T for having less than five players on the court..and perhaps that's where the coach was getting the idea from as well.
Sounds about right. I make an effort to avoid cross-contamination but doesn't look like the effort is study enough yet.

Last edited by Rooster; Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 06:42pm.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:34pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation

Quote:
As for the opposing coach, if he doesn't accept a quick explanation, and proceeds to be an a$$hat, go ahead and call a T. Just not the one he wanted.
His head would probably explode and he would absolutely go ballistic. Nice!
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 08:11pm
This IS My Social Life

Ot

Rooster: become a more regular contributor here 'cuz I like how you talk. There's something fresh and constructively cocky about the phraseology of your posts.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

There is a caseplay which says that it is a T following a time-out or intermission, but not following an extended substitution process in which there was confusion.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Rooster: become a more regular contributor here 'cuz I like how you talk. There's something fresh and constructively cocky about the phraseology of your posts.
OK, but be careful what you wish for...
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 07:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
OK, but be careful what you wish for...
Roosters aren't the same thing as eagles.