The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Cannot Sub for Guy who Dunks in Pregame? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92987-cannot-sub-guy-who-dunks-pregame.html)

Freddy Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:52am

Cannot Sub for Guy who Dunks in Pregame?

MS game last night (yes, really!): A1, starter in the book, grabs and pulls down the rim right toward the end of pregame warmups. Technical foul rightfully issued by observing official. Coach, upset with A1 and desiring to deprive him of his starter status, wants to sub for him before game starts. Official rules that, except for illness, injury, etc. (3-2-2a), such a substitute is not allowed without incurring a team T for changing the scorebook.

I desire to confirm with you that this is correct.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02am

You can desire all you want, but you won't get that confirmation.

Raymond Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 862988)
MS game last night (yes, really!): A1, starter in the book, grabs and pulls down the rim right toward the end of pregame warmups. Technical foul rightfully issued by observing official. Coach, upset with A1 and desiring to deprive him of his starter status, wants to sub for him before game starts. Official rules that, except for illness, injury, etc. (3-2-2a), such a substitute is not allowed without incurring a team T for changing the scorebook.

I desire to confirm with you that this is correct.

Why wouldn't the sub come in between or after the free throws?

letemplay Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:19am

Did A HC lobby for "grabbing to prevent injury"?:)

Smitty Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24am

I'm letting coach bench the kid.

Adam Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:25am

Game starts with the free throws. Legally he can sub. I'd let him sub before the free throws are even shot.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:27am

Once the T is reported, the game has started. Substitutions are allowed now....the starters have started.

Freddy Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 862992)
You can desire all you want, but you won't get that confirmation.

Could it be that, since the game will begin with two technical free throws, a sub can enter to replace this young rim-grabber after the first free throw is shot? Could it be I neglected to consult 6-2-1 regarding the starting of a game? Could it be that I was incorrect in my original inquiry? Could it? Could it? Could it?

I consider myself not yet confirmed.

Adam Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 863001)
Could it be that, since the game will begin with two technical free throws, a sub can enter to replace this young rim-grabber after the first free throw is shot? Could it be I neglected to consult 6-2-1 regarding the starting of a game? Could it be that I was incorrect in my original inquiry? Could it? Could it? Could it?

I consider myself not yet confirmed.

No need to wait for the first free throw. That rule only applies to personal fouls.

Freddy Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 863002)
No need to wait for the first free throw. That rule only applies to personal fouls.

Can't find where it says that. Any help?
I'm seeing what 6-2-1 says, and how it refers me to 6-1-2, and get all that. But I'm still searching for what you state above and what justification there could be for allowing this substitution before the ball becomes live.

bainsey Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 863000)
Once the T is reported, the game has started.

Perhaps this is minutia, does that mean report the T immediately, and the game has started, or wait until the game is supposed to start to report the T?

Adam Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 863003)
Can't find where it says that. Any help?
I'm seeing what 6-2-1 says, and how it refers me to 6-1-2, and get all that. But I'm still searching for what you state above and what justification there could be for allowing this substitution before the ball becomes live.

3-3-1 I believe.

ref3808 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08pm

If the coach wants to reinforce the lesson by removing the kid from the starting lineup I'm for it. And if it has to be medical I'm pretty sure the kid hurt his hand on the rim.

OKREF Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22pm

6-2-1. The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw. He would be able to sub after the first free throw.

tjones1 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 863009)
6-2-1. The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw. He would be able to sub after the first free throw.

What if the other coach wants to bring in A44 (read B44 for OP) to shoot both technical foul free throws?