The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Cannot Sub for Guy who Dunks in Pregame? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92987-cannot-sub-guy-who-dunks-pregame.html)

BillyMac Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:35pm

Citation Please ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 863011)
What if the other coach wants to bring in A44 to shoot both technical foul free throws?

Legal. I'll give a citation later. I'm at work with no books.

tjones1 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 863014)
Legal. I'll give a citation later. I'm at work with no books.

I know it's legal, Billy.

My point is you can sub before the first throw.

OKREF Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:37pm

Quote:

What if the other coach wants to bring in A44 to shoot both technical foul free throws?

I would say one of the marked starting 5 would have to shoot the first one, and anyone would be able to shoot the second one.

tjones1 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 863016)
I would say one of the marked starting 5 would have to shoot the first one, and anyone would be able to shoot the second one.

I disagree.

legend Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40pm

Quote:

What other coach? Team b doesn't get to say who shoots them if they are the offending team. If team A is awarded the free throws their coach can have any player in the book shoot said free throws.

Freddy Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41pm

Quote:

An exception is granted for that in 3-2-2a: "...unless...to attempt a technical-foul free throw."
(assuming that "other coach" is the not the one ticked off at his 6'10" MS player)

tjones1 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend (Post 863018)
What other coach? Team b doesn't get to say who shoots them if they are the offending team. If team A is awarded the free throws their coach can have any player in the book shoot said free throws.

I switched them. Don't get caught up in that...it's been corrected in my first post. Sorry for the confusion.

My point was you can sub before the first free throw.

OKREF Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 863020)
I switched them. Don't get caught up in that...it's been corrected in my first post. Sorry for the confusion.

My point was you can sub before the first free throw.

Why?

tjones1 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 863019)
An exception is granted for that in 3-2-2a: "...unless...to attempt a technical-foul free throw."
(assuming that "other coach" is the not the one ticked off at his 6'10" MS player)

Bingo!

tjones1 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 863021)
Why?

See Freddy's reference.

OKREF Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 863024)
See Freddy's reference.

Ahh. I see it now. Thanks.

OKREF Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53pm

Based on that I would let the coach sub the kid out that dunked.

Freddy Wed Nov 21, 2012 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 863026)
Based on that I would let the coach sub the kid out that dunked.

But he's not the one allowed to be subbed in in this 3-2-2a exception.

I'm still leaning toward not allowing this miscreant out until after the ball has become live to start the game by being put at the disposal of the thrower shooting first of two technical foul free throws (accd. to 6-2-1 and, by extension, 6-1-2). Unless the coach wants to invest a team technical for changing a designated starter.....

Still studying it.

OKREF Wed Nov 21, 2012 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 863009)
6-2-1. The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw. He would be able to sub after the first free throw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 863028)
But he's not the one allowed to be subbed in in this 3-2-2a exception.

I'm still leaning toward not allowing this miscreant out until after the ball has become live to start the game by being put at the disposal of the thrower shooting first of two technical foul free throws (accd. to 6-2-1 and, by extension, 6-1-2). Unless the coach wants to invest a team technical for changing a designated starter.....

Still studying it.

That was my first thought. Dunker would have to wait until the first free throw. If the opposing coach brings a guy in off the bench to shoot the free throws, I would probably let the dunker get subbed as well.

Smitty Wed Nov 21, 2012 01:19pm

Maybe this will be unpopular, but I think sometimes people get too caught up in the exact wording of the rules to understand the spirit of the rules. If the coach wants to sit down a starter, who is likely a better player than the kid who will be subbed in, because this kid was an a$$hat and hung on the rim pregame, to teach the kid a lesson, I'm allowing it. Then. Not after the first free throw. Not to mention this kid bought his coach a seatbelt for the game. Let him sit right next to the coach. You can get all caught up in the rules if you like. Carry on...