The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T For Faking a Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92922-t-faking-foul.html)

Spence Thu Nov 15, 2012 09:46am

T For Faking a Foul

Can someone educate me on the history of what we often hear regarding calling a T if a defender fakes/flops.

Was it ever clearly spelled out that that specific action was a T?

PG_Ref Thu Nov 15, 2012 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 862222)
Can someone educate me on the history of what we often hear regarding calling a T if a defender fakes/flops.

Was it ever clearly spelled out that that specific action was a T?

See 10-3-6f

ART. 6

A player shall not:

Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:

f. Faking being fouled, knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled.

Freddy Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:00am

Partial Answer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 862222)
Can someone educate me on the history of what we often hear regarding calling a T if a defender fakes/flops. Was it ever clearly spelled out that that specific action was a T?

I don't know about the history of it. But here's a link to an article on the topic:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...TRlYThkZjcyMmI

Spence Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 862224)
See 10-3-6f

ART. 6

A player shall not:

Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:

f. Faking being fouled, knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled.

Thanks.

Have you ever called a T for faking a PC foul?

Adam Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:42am

Once, in a kiddie YMCA game. After a warning to the coach. When the defender threw himself backwards and grunted, as the dribbler was about six feet away near half court.

deecee Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 862232)
Once, in a kiddie YMCA game. After a warning to the coach. When the defender threw himself backwards and grunted, as the dribbler was about six feet away near half court.

Cold....blooded :p

PG_Ref Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 862232)

Funny ... never called it before, but gave it serious consideration before.

APG Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:09am

Never called it, never come close to considering it.

bainsey Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:27pm

Once, somewhat similar circumstances as Adam.

I've given a few players the "not again" talk, but haven't seen a great need for it in games I worked.

jTheUmp Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28pm

Kid flopped in the paint without any contact between him and his opponent, who went on to score an uncontested layup, causing his coach to call a timeout.

Kid gets up, says "isn't that a foul?" to which I respond: "Not only was there no contact, faking being fouled is supposed to be a Technical Foul. I thought I'd let you off easy."

Kid didn't say a word the rest of the game.

JRutledge Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33pm

I have only once had a situation where a kid flopped with no contact. That is the only time I ever considered calling a T. I called nothing because I was shocked and it made no difference. If that happens today I would likely call a T (no contact), otherwise I would likely pass on the foul or call a block if little contact takes place. I also feel there is a difference between flopping and embellishing too.

Peace

Spence Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20pm

So what would you call a T for and base it on "faking being fouled?"

Forksref Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12am

I've never done a Duke game.

Spence Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 862224)
See 10-3-6f

ART. 6

A player shall not:

Does the fact that "faking being fouled" is in conjunction with the free throw wording tell us the intent has to do with free throws specifically?

Camron Rust Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 862367)
Does the fact that "faking being fouled" is in conjunction with the free throw wording tell us the intent has to do with free throws specifically?

No.