The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 05:15pm
Back from the DL

RefPay Feedback

I see this has come up on other forums, but that was some time ago, and I'm looking for fresh feedback.

My association is looking into using RefPay. Has anyone here used it? If so, what are your thoughts on the service?
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 05:26pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I see this has come up on other forums, but that was some time ago, and I'm looking for fresh feedback.

My association is looking into using RefPay. Has anyone here used it? If so, what are your thoughts on the service?
It is really good. It is basically like a bank account. They deposit the funds into your account, usually same day. I then can have it direct deposited right into my bank account. no more social security numbers or worrying about if the proper paperwork got done.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
It is really good. It is basically like a bank account. They deposit the funds into your account, usually same day. I then can have it direct deposited right into my bank account. no more social security numbers or worrying about if the proper paperwork got done.
Schools still need SSNs, as they still need to send 1099s. Every school here needs a W9.

As for refpay, I like it.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, it is not basically like a bank account. If these people go under and they still have your money, it's gone. It is not federally insured like a bank is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 05:27pm.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

The high school association here has been using it for 2 years now and personally I like it way better than dealing with each school individually. Some schools would pay you on the spot, some required you to sign and would send the check later. It was constantly a problem keeping track of who had paid and who hadnt. Now you can just pull up your refpay account and comapare it to your assignment list and instantly know if you have been paid or not.

As for the 1099, if Im not mistaken we get a single 1099 for all the assignments we have worked.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:04pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
No, it is not like a bank account. If these people go under and they still have your money, it's gone. It is not federally insured like a bank is.
Works similarly minus the insurance. Not like any of us do it for the money anyway or will be broke if it did go under.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Works similarly minus the insurance. Not like any of us do it for the money anyway or will be broke if it did go under.
So it wouldn't bother you if you lost 1, 2, or 3 thousand dollars b/c you don't do it for the money? I know many officials who only do it for the money.

And the money is deposited originally to your RefPay account. It doesn't make it to your personal bank account until action is taken.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:34pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

Like it. Never had any negative issues.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:53pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So it wouldn't bother you if you lost 1, 2, or 3 thousand dollars b/c you don't do it for the money? I know many officials who only do it for the money.

And the money is deposited originally to your RefPay account. It doesn't make it to your personal bank account until action is taken.
So as soon as it gets deposited into the RefPay account, have it transferred to your bank account. Simple enough.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
So as soon as it gets deposited into the RefPay account, have it transferred to your bank account. Simple enough.
Never said it wasn't simple. Still, the money is not in your bank account when you are paid as could be inferred by certain comments in this thread.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
No, it is not like a bank account. If these people go under and they still have your money, it's gone. It is not federally insured like a bank is.
Actually it is "like" a bank account, as in it has similar features. It is not actually a bank account, although I doubt anyone here was confused about that fact.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I just check when I know money is coming. I've never had more than $120 or so in there at a time.

I'm not interested in paying their fees for automated transfers.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Actually it is "like" a bank account, as in it has similar features. It is not actually a bank account, although I doubt anyone here was confused about that fact.
Picking on the diction doesn't change the fact that there's an important distinction here. The money isn't guaranteed. Not that it's really in danger, but I still move it asap.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I just check when I know money is coming. I've never had more than $120 or so in there at a time.

I'm not interested in paying their fees for automated transfers.
I did not know that there was a fee for an auto transfer. I was told this by one of my fellow referees this Fall season. So I did some investigating. It appears that there indeed is such a fee and it is about $1.50. Why?

I sign-in and manually do the transfer so there is no fee charged to me as the official. There is of course a fee charged to the paying administrator for generating my paysheet. The highest possible fee at this time is about $2 per paysheet.

I'll add that I have been on both sides of this with RefPay. So I have seen all the fees charged to the paying administrator. I have contacted RefPay and advised them that charging the officials is not in their best interest. Keep the fees on the people who make the payment, not those who receive them. These people don't have an issue with it as it actually saves them money since they do not have to cut a check and mail it, which involves a postage cost as well as the cost of the paper, ink, and envelope, plus the time of the person who must perform these tasks.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I did not know that there was a fee for an auto transfer. I was told this by one of my fellow referees this Fall season. So I did some investigating. It appears that there indeed is such a fee and it is about $1.50. Why?

I sign-in and manually do the transfer so there is no fee charged to me as the official. There is of course a fee charged to the paying administrator for generating my paysheet. The highest possible fee at this time is about $2 per paysheet.

I'll add that I have been on both sides of this with RefPay. So I have seen all the fees charged to the paying administrator. I have contacted RefPay and advised them that charging the officials is not in their best interest. Keep the fees on the people who make the payment, not those who receive them. These people don't have an issue with it as it actually saves them money since they do not have to cut a check and mail it, which involves a postage cost as well as the cost of the paper, ink, and envelope, plus the time of the person who must perform these tasks.
Making the transfer costs them money...not anything near $2 but it costs. If they do auto-transfer, they probably incur more transfer fees...one for each payment you receive. But, if you manually transfer the money, they get to lump each payment into one paying only one fee to have the transfer made at the time you log in and make the transfer.

I chose to offer a different payment service on RefTown. It is a true direct deposit contracted out to a 3rd party. The money goes directly from the organization making the payment to the official's account. The money is never in RefTown's accounts and is immediately available to the Referee (after the Bank's normal electronic transfer delays). RefTown just facilitates the transaction. It is also cheaper for the organization than either RefPay or printing and mailing a check and it is free to the official.