The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Weird play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92881-weird-play.html)

Texref Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:58am

Weird play

So a situation was proposed and I'm not real sure.

A1 is trapped. In a panic he throws the ball off the official, who is standing on the court. A1 retrieves the ball. Legal? He has already ended his dribble.

I'm thinking this would be an illegal dribble as we are considered part of the floor. But at the same time, if an errant pass hits off of us, any player can retrieve the ball. This was not an errant pass, from situation described, it was a deliberate play.

Two officials have said this play is legal.

deecee Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05am

illegal dribble. Its no different than starting a dribble off the court, except they use us as a substitute 2x4.

jeremy341a Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05am

Illegal dribble

gslefeb Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:06am

Double Dribble

The play you describe is illegal. Since the player had already ended their dribble, being the first to recover the ball after hitting the official would be a second dribble.

Raymond Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texref (Post 861522)
So a situation was proposed and I'm not real sure.

A1 is trapped. In a panic he throws the ball off the official, who is standing on the court. A1 retrieves the ball. Legal? He has already ended his dribble.

I'm thinking this would be an illegal dribble as we are considered part of the floor. But at the same time, if an errant pass hits off of us, any player can retrieve the ball. This was not an errant pass, from situation described, it was a deliberate play.

Two officials have said this play is legal.

In the rule book, is there any difference between an errant pass and a deliberate pass?

And where in the rule book does it say any player can retrieve an errant pass that hits off an official?

rekent Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 861525)
... except they use us as a substitute 2x4.

Nice, that one made me lose it and laugh out loud in class!

Texref Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 861528)
In the rule book, is there any difference between an errant pass and a deliberate pass?

And where in the rule book does it say any player can retrieve an errant pass that hits off an official?

You are correct, I said that incorrectly. I don't know what I was thinking :)

BillyMac Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:38am

Chubby Checker Question ...

If he fumbled the ball, and then the ball subsequently struck an official, I believe that he would be allowed to go and pick up the ball (not starting a new dribble) without penalty. Am I correct in this assumption?

Raymond Fri Nov 09, 2012 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texref (Post 861530)
You are correct, I said that incorrectly. I don't know what I was thinking :)

Whew....glad it was just a brain fart :D

Raymond Fri Nov 09, 2012 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 861534)
If he fumbled the ball, and then the ball subsequently struck an official, I believe that he would be allowed to go and pick up the ball (not starting a new dribble) without penalty. Am I correct in this assumption?

Billy, you don't know the rule?

bob jenkins Fri Nov 09, 2012 02:03pm

Quote:

When can a player not recover a fumble? That should answer your question.

BillyMac Fri Nov 09, 2012 02:16pm

Once A Teacher, Always A Teacher ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 861545)
Billy, you don't know the rule?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 861547)
When can a player not recover a fumble? That should answer your question.

Quote:

I believe that he would be allowed to go and pick up the ball (not starting a new dribble) without penalty.

Of course I know this rule. I'm just trying to cash in on a teachable moment for the newbies.

asdf Fri Nov 09, 2012 02:28pm

Looks like Texref now knows of two officials that he shouldn't seek advice from. :eek:

twocentsworth Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:21pm

This situation in the OP is similar to the ruling when a player, who has ended his/her dribble, throws the ball off of the opponents backboard/rim when in the backcourt.