The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow School or Business Logo on Court

Try this question on:
Question: A school may have a logo for a local business on the court within the playing surface provided it doesn't distract from the visibility of the required court markings.

Observation: On page 9 of the 2012 Rules Book, Section 3 Art.3, is states.....if the floor has a logo in the center of the court, that logo should not distract from the visibility of the center line or center circle.

NOW...I though this would mean a school logo, but could it also mean a "business logo"?
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverz View Post
Try this question on:
Question: A school may have a logo for a local business on the court within the playing surface provided it doesn't distract from the visibility of the required court markings.

Observation: On page 9 of the 2012 Rules Book, Section 3 Art.3, is states.....if the floor has a logo in the center of the court, that logo should not distract from the visibility of the center line or center circle.

NOW...I though this would mean a school logo, but could it also mean a "business logo"?
Why do they put such silly questions on the test? I couldn't find a reference to that and that is probably one of the ones I missed. I don't think that not knowing the answer to THAT will ever effect how I call the game.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 04:44pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why do they put such silly questions on the test? I couldn't find a reference to that and that is probably one of the ones I missed. I don't think that not knowing the answer to THAT will ever effect how I call the game.
Agreed!

Even if the center circle is messed up.....what am I going to do at game night?

Hence why I started this thread: Exam Time!

Thought we'd get more discussion.

My exam was weird....
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

I would still like to know what others are thinking around this question. Stupid, sure, but that's the NFHS's doing. So, what is your interpretation of "logo can be either a business or school on the court"?
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 06:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I would still like to know what others are thinking around this question. Stupid, sure, but that's the NFHS's doing. So, what is your interpretation of "logo can be either a business or school on the court"?
Yes it can.

No it can't.

Now what? I'm more interested if someone can find an actual reference in either the rule book, case book, or manual.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed. Rediculous. Couldn't find anything anywhere on it. I think that is the one question I got wrong. Grrrrr.....
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Agreed!

Even if the center circle is messed up.....what am I going to do at game night?

Hence why I started this thread: Exam Time!

Thought we'd get more discussion.

My exam was weird....
If you are working on a floor that doesnt have an outline (thru the ctr) or something through the logo at mid court, defining where the mid court line is, you should try to get game management to atleast put some athletic tape through the ctr. to assist in defining where it's at. Sure its not great but if you don't then no doubt one of your crew will inevitibly have a close play right at the line where you really can't call the back court violation because you don't have definate knowledge if the O is over it or not.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would rather guess at the midcourt line than have a line of tape across the floor.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 06:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Colored Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I would rather guess at the midcourt line than have a line of tape across the floor.
I'm sure that you meant to say "the division line". Midcourt lines (hash marks) disappeared many years ago, although a few gymnasiums, here in my little corner of Connecticut, still have them.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 30, 2012 at 05:47pm.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

It also strikes me as odd that they would specify a "local" business, would a national business be any different? also I looked in the case book, nothing there either.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2012, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Hash marks. Good. Old gyms, bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm sure that you meant to say "the division line". Midcourt lines (hash marks) disappeared many years ago, although a few gymnasiums, here in my little corner of Connecticut, still have them.
I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I enter a gym with the hash marks

Unfortunately, it is nearly universally true that the gym floor was laid down in the 50s, and therefore my knees soon develop a feeling I would not describe as warm or fuzzy. I would describe the feeling in said knees receiving a two-man pounding on such an ancient court as much like that felt by persons behind in their payments to certain individuals fond of driving about in Lincoln Town Cars.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Probably Legal

1) We know we can't change the logo on the floor, so that's not the point of the question concerning a business logo.

2) We know we can't forfeit the game, so that's not the point of the question.

3) The question does not deal with tape and hash marks, so that is off the question.

4) But, knowing the rules, even stupid things such as this, allows us to answer any questions from the opposing team (as that is where the logo concern would come from) as well as any visiting Administrator or fan.

Since Rule 1-3-3 does not make a differentiation between a school or business, but simply states "Logo" I would have to say the answer to the question is True...meaning a business can have a logo that is not distracting.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Honestly, the rule just says logo. While you, or I, or dang near everyone, would likely assume that to mean School Logo ... it doesn't. A business logo seems to be allowed per the way the rule is written.

That said... it's entirely conceivable that one of us would work a game at a sponsored location - so perhaps business logo is not as absurd as at first glance.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) We know we can't change the logo on the floor, so that's not the point of the question concerning a business logo.

2) We know we can't forfeit the game, so that's not the point of the question.

3) The question does not deal with tape and hash marks, so that is off the question.

4) But, knowing the rules, even stupid things such as this, allows us to answer any questions from the opposing team (as that is where the logo concern would come from) as well as any visiting Administrator or fan.

Since Rule 1-3-3 does not make a differentiation between a school or business, but simply states "Logo" I would have to say the answer to the question is True...meaning a business can have a logo that is not distracting.
I guess if A) it was distracting or B) they really mean business logo's are illegal and we come across a business logo ... there's really nothing we can, would, or even should do regarding playing the game. We would, I suppose, report such a thing to whoever is in charge in your area - and let them deal with it.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 01, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

It has to be legal. At the Minnesota State Tournament they have logos for Wells Fargo and MSHSL on the floor.