The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player control scenario (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92813-player-control-scenario.html)

SWMOzebra Wed Oct 31, 2012 09:11am

Player control scenario

This situation came up last night during a NCAA-W D2 exhibition game. I would greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts. I am in the T position. Here's the lead-up:

A1 dribbling the ball in A's frontcourt (my PCA) while being defended by B1. B1 reaches in (no contact) and knocks the ball loose. The ball deflects hard off A1's leg and is bouncing toward the endline. I stay with the ball, unsure if L has seen the deflection and want to make sure we get the OOB call correct. B2 comes from the corner and jumps, intercepting the ball before it lands out of bounds and throwing it back on the court. From my perspective, the ball clearly came to rest on B2's hand before she threw it back onto the court ... so I turned to the shot clock operator who was right next to me and said, "That's a reset." She responded by resetting the shot clock to 30 and then starting it when A1 received the ball on the save from B2.

After the game in the dressing room, the L asked me why I had the shot clock reset and I explained to him what I had seen. He disagreed, indicating that he didn't believe B2 had actually possessed the ball long enough for it to be considered control regardless of whether or not it had come to rest in her palm. We had a spirited discussion and reviewed the appropriate rules.

Rule 2-11:
Art. 6. Stop the timing device and reset it:
a. When team control is re-established after the team loses possession of the
ball;
Note: The mere touching of the ball by an opponent does not start a new
shot-clock period when the same team remains in control of the ball.

Rule 4-15:
Art. 1. A player shall be in control when:
a. Holding a live ball; or
b. Dribbling a live ball while inbounds.

Right call or wrong call?

Adam Wed Oct 31, 2012 09:22am

Seems like the right call from your description.

There is no time requirement for a player to be holding the ball in order to determine control. Would you have granted a timeout in that moment (forgetting for the moment whether she was jumping out of bounds)(and I can't even remember if THAT'S relevant for NCAAW)

bob jenkins Wed Oct 31, 2012 09:24am

Ignoring the NCAA restriction on granting a TO to an airborne player who is going to land OOB, would you have granted a TO if it had been requested? If so, then reset the shot clock. If not, then don't.

tref Wed Oct 31, 2012 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra (Post 860716)
He disagreed, indicating that he didn't believe B2 had actually possessed the ball long enough for it to be considered control regardless of whether or not it had come to rest in her palm.

Remove the incorrect information & all that is left is the truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra (Post 860716)
so I turned to the shot clock operator who was right next to me and said, "That's a reset."

You didnt really turn, did you?

SWMOzebra Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 860719)
would you have granted a TO if it had been requested?

I considered this while driving home from the game last night. Truthfully, I'm not sure if I would have or not. Perhaps I was a bit too hasty in calling for the reset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref
You didnt really turn, did you?

Yes, my head ... just enough to where I hoped she (the shot clock operator) would realize I was talking to her! :)

tref Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:46am

Too little too late

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra (Post 860733)
Yes, my head ... just enough to where I hoped she (the shot clock operator) would realize I was talking to her! :)

Last time I did that I missed a FF1 that my partner called, but it should've been upgraded to a FF2 & I had no info to provide... well, until I watched the film that is :o

APG Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54am

I have no problem with how you interpreted and handled the situation. For what it's worth, in the NBA:

If a player is saving the ball, a throw equals a reset when applicable, while a bat would keep the shot clock the same.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:36am

I think this comes down to judgement of whether you think the player caught it or not. Both of you could have been right depending on how long each of you felt it was in contact with the hand.

rockyroad Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:38am

Maybe something to think about here...if she really had control of the ball, why did she not throw it to one of her teammates instead of an opponent?

Not saying you were wrong...you seem to be questioning yourself as to whether or not she had control...so just another question to think about.

deecee Wed Oct 31, 2012 01:02pm

Control doesn't mean you have the ability to aim. Running after a ball bouncing out of bounds you grab it with two hands as you fall out and just throw it back in over your shoulder. Control and ability to aim are mutually exclusive.

Adam Wed Oct 31, 2012 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 860756)
Control and ability to aim are mutually exclusive.

????

Really?

rockyroad Wed Oct 31, 2012 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 860756)
Control doesn't mean you have the ability to aim. Running after a ball bouncing out of bounds you grab it with two hands as you fall out and just throw it back in over your shoulder. Control and ability to aim are mutually exclusive.

Mutually exclusive???

Really???

So if you have control, you can't aim? And if you can aim, then you don't have control?

I attempted to give SWMoZebra another tool to use in rethinking his play...and this is what you come back with?::eek:

bob jenkins Wed Oct 31, 2012 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 860764)
????

Really?

I think he meant "not synonymous"

deecee Wed Oct 31, 2012 01:42pm

Having control helps aim but having control doesn't necessarily mean you will always get the pass where you want it to go.

deecee Wed Oct 31, 2012 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 860766)
I think he meant "not synonymous"

Yes more that. You need control to at least have a chance at aim. Not mutually exclusive. My vocabulary is getting worse by the day. Ack It would be easier if English had been my second language.