The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   block/charge/no call considerations (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92681-block-charge-no-call-considerations.html)

ballgame99 Wed Oct 17, 2012 09:45am

block/charge/no call considerations

Did a pre-season league game this weekend (small high school boys) and had a block/charge situation come up. A1 drive to the basket baseline, B1 comes in as a secondary defender and establishes his position basically under the basket (he was maybe a step out from under it). The timing of A1 leaving the floor and B1 establishing his position were very close. Ball is released before the collision and goes in.

I no call it; play on. The timing of the play was such that if the contact had occured somewhere other than directly under the basket I would have gone with a PC. I would be interested to hear others' thoughts on a play like this.

PG_Ref Wed Oct 17, 2012 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 858720)
The timing of the play was such that if the contact had occured somewhere other than directly under the basket I would have gone with a PC.

NFHS rules permit a defender to draw a PC foul, even if under the basket. In our neck of the woods, that's how we adjudicate it.

tref Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:00am

Quote:

I would be interested to hear others' thoughts on a play like this.

In HS everyone is entitled to a spot anywhere on the floor (yup even behind the backboard) as long as the defender got to the spot prior to the shooter alighting, I'd consider a p/c.

Adam Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:05am

Quote:

I no call it; play on. The timing of the play was such that if the contact had occured somewhere other than directly under the basket I would have gone with a PC.

This is all I really need to know. Assuming you were working HS rules, it seems a PC call was in order. Defender made a legal move, got to his spot, and the shooter should have adjusted.

BillyMac Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:14am

Rumors ??? Scuttlebutt ??? Gossip ???

Will the NFHS ever go to the secondary defender arc under the basket? If so, when?

Adam Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 858724)
Will the NFHS ever go to the secondary defender arc under the basket? If so, when?

I hope not. As long as we don't have too many officials no-calling the OP play because they don't like calling a PC under the basket, we should be fine.

tref Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:28am

Quote:

I hope so, it would be good for the game! The RA takes the guessing out for officials, reduces potential injury for players in the heart of the paint & promotes a free flowing game.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 858729)
I hope so, it would be good for the game! The RA takes the guessing out for officials, reduces potential injury for players in the heart of the paint & promotes a free flowing game.

Guessing about what?

No more so than calling the charges on the offense...and probably even less so

Not really.

It really just robs the defense of its ability to guard the path to the basket.

tref Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 858741)
Guessing about what?

No more so than calling the charges on the offense...and probably even less so

Not really.

It really just robs the defense of its ability to guard the path to the basket.

Just my opinions based on my experiences, many times the lesser experienced officials dont pick up the secondary defender in time (prior to contact) & when the crash happens... they guess. The RA provides us with a formula. In the RA = a block & it also allows the T or C to provide info to "get the play right."

I dont see the defense getting robbed of anything. Get there before the shooter alights or get out the way! The people came to see made baskets NOT collisions in the paint.

Freddy Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:03pm

Good Question

Quote:

. . . a pre-season league game this weekend (small high school boys) and had a block/charge situation come up. . . The timing of the play was such that if the contact had occurred somewhere other than directly under the basket I would have gone with a PC. I would be interested to hear others' thoughts on a play like this.

What you asked for, "...to hear others' thoughts on a play like this."
The title of your thread: "Block/Charge/No Call Considerations." Then a statement about a consideration contrary to the rule set prevailing over the teams you were officiating.
You asked for, "...others' thoughts on a play like this."
My thoughts: don't do that anymore.

APG Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:13pm

Quote:

In a perfect world, I would hope so.

tref Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 858747)
In a perfect world, I would hope so.

My name is tref & I approve this message :D

Adam Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 858750)
My name is tref & I approve this message :D

Don't make me take this negative.

SmokeEater Wed Oct 17, 2012 02:00pm

In NFHS, once the ball leaves the shooters hand does that eliminate control (Player and team)?

I'm just wondering as this is the case in FIBA, and the post would then be a call as a common foul on offence for a push. If basket goes it would count.

tref Wed Oct 17, 2012 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater (Post 858770)
In NFHS, once the ball leaves the shooters hand does that eliminate control (Player and team)?

I'm just wondering as this is the case in FIBA, and the post would then be a call as a common foul on offence for a push. If basket goes it would count.

No & no, but those are the principles in NCAA-M.