The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hair (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92650-hair.html)

loners4me Sat Oct 13, 2012 03:22pm

Hair

What is the ruling on things like scrunchies, hair bows, rubb
er bands, ect..

stiffler3492 Sat Oct 13, 2012 03:32pm

What kind of ruling are you looking for? Anything used to control the hair (ie to tie it back in a pony tail) doesn't need to conform to the color regulations.

deecee Sat Oct 13, 2012 04:24pm

they also cannot be tied in big bows that many of the girls just seem to *love*. but Stiffler is right. There is no ruling on color and size, however best judgement is best used in that regard.

Adam Sat Oct 13, 2012 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 858188)
they also cannot be tied in big bows that many of the girls just seem to *love*. but Stiffler is right. There is no ruling on color and size, however best judgement is best used in that regard.

Is there documentation for this ?

deecee Sat Oct 13, 2012 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 858194)
Is there documentation for this ?

3.5.7 - bows pose a safety concern. The bigger the bow the greater the concern.

BktBallRef Sat Oct 13, 2012 05:44pm

While I agree bows are illegal, where do you see anything about bows in 3-5-7 or 3.5.7????

3-5-7
Compression shorts/tights shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the pants/skirt; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt. See 3-6 for logo requirements.

3.5.7 SITUATION A:
Substitute A6 is beckoned and enters the court to replace A1. A6 is wearing: (a) compression shorts below the game pants which extend below the knees; (b) cut-off jeans extending below the game pants; or (c) jewelry.
RULING: The items in (a), (b) and (c) are illegal and A6 will not be allowed to ­participate while wearing the items. No penalty is involved. A6 simply cannot ­participate until the illegal items are removed.

3.5.7 SITUATION B:
A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts. Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts, warm-ups or a skirt instead of shorts?
RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not require that the uniform pants be "shorts." However, undergarments or tights may not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights "below the uniform shorts" would be illegal. The player could wear long pants or a skirt as the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance. (Rule 3, Section 4)

The appropriate rule is

3.5.4d & e
Wristbands and headwear shall meet the following guidelines:
d. Rubber, cloth or elastic bands may be used to control hair. Hard items, including, but not limited to, beads, barrettes and bobby pins, are prohibited.
e. Head decorations and headwear, except those specified above, are prohibited.

BillyMac Sat Oct 13, 2012 05:55pm

I Want Long, Straight, Curly, Fuzzy, Snaggy, Shaggy, Ratty, Matty, Oily, Greasy ...

Fleecy, Shining, Gleaming, Streaming, Flaxen, Waxen, Knotted, Polka Dotted, Twisted, Beaded, Braided, Powered, Flowered And Confettied , Bangled, Tangled, Spangled And Spahettied …

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6...473e048e_m.jpg

Headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color, provided all team members are wearing the same color for each item for all participants. Only a single item may be worn on the head and/or on each wrist. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow. Rubber, cloth, or elastic bands, of any color, may be used to control hair.

Parenthetically, headbands go around the head, hair control devices go around hair.

deecee Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:00pm

3.5 section 7.

The referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in his/her judgement any item constitutes a safety concern, such as, but not limited to , a player's fingernails or hairstyle.

BillyMac Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:02pm

Long As God Can Grow My Hair ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 858207)
While I agree bows are illegal.

I don't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 858207)
The appropriate rule is: 3.5.4 D & E: Headwear shall meet the following guidelines:
d. Rubber, cloth or elastic bands may be used to control hair. Hard items, including, but not limited to, beads, barrettes and bobby pins, are prohibited.
e. Head decorations and headwear, except those specified above, are prohibited.

Who says that the "cloth bands" can't be tied in a bow? What if they're tied in a knot? Is that illegal also? If they can't be tied in bows, or knots, then just how will they be attached?

BktBallRef Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:04pm

First off, dots are case plays, dashes are rules.

Second, I quoted NFHS 3-5-7 and 3.5.7 above and neither one say that.

Third, perhaps you're refering to 3-7????

Yet, I still don't see the word "bows" used anywhere.

APG Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 858210)
3.5 section 7.

The referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in his/her judgement any item constitutes a safety concern, such as, but not limited to , a player's fingernails or hairstyle.

Dashes are used for rules...periods are used for casebook plays. And the rule you're trying to quote is 3-7.

BktBallRef Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 858212)
Who says that the "cloth bands" can't be tied in a bow? What if they're tied in a knot? Is that illegal also? If they can't be tied in bows, or knots, then just how will they be attached?

A band is one continuous loop. A band is not a tied ribbon.

A bow constitutes a head decoration. I'm sure your mother put them in your hair when you were smal to make you look pretty. Hence, "decoration."

deecee Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:08pm

yes I know. been a while.

BillyMac Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:18pm

Give Me A Head With Hair, Long Beautiful Hair ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 858219)
A band is one continuous loop. A band is not a tied ribbon.

Nope. How can a non-elastic cloth band stay in one's hair without using a knot, or bow? How will the length of the non-elastic cloth band be controlled? A good example of a non-elastic cloth band is a ribbon, and a ribbon will only stay attached if it is tied in a bow, or in a knot.

band (noun):
1. a thin, flat strip of some material for binding, confining, trimming, protecting, etc.: a band on each bunch of watercress.
2. a fillet, belt, or strap: a band for the hair; a band for connecting pulleys.
4. a strip of paper or other material serving as a label: a cigar band.
5. a plain or simply styled ring, without mounted gems or the like: a thin gold band on his finger.

And you're wrong, it was my father who put the bows in my hair to make me look handsome; father, not mother; handsome, not pretty. Shows how much you know smarty pants.

Mark Padgett Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 858223)
How can a non-elastic cloth band stay in one's hair without using a knot, or bow?

Staple gun.