The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Help a rookie out. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92507-help-rookie-out.html)

jeremy341a Tue Sep 25, 2012 02:23pm

Help a rookie out.

In all instances both teams have 7 team fouls.

1. A1 while dribbling in the backcourt dribbles the ball off his own foot. While chasing down the ball A1 shoves B1. There are no free throws awarded as team A still has team control.

2. A1 while dribbling in the backcourt dribbles the ball off his own foot. While chasing down the ball B1 shoves A1. A1 is awarded bonus freethrows.

3. A1 attempts a shot and on the rebound A2 fouls B1. B1 is awarded bonus freethrows due to neither team having team control.

Am I correct?

JRutledge Tue Sep 25, 2012 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 856037)

1. A1 while dribbling in the backcourt dribbles the ball off his own foot. While chasing down the ball A1 shoves B1. There are no free throws awarded as team A still has team control.

True. TC Foul on A1.

Quote:

2. A1 while dribbling in the backcourt dribbles the ball off his own foot. While chasing down the ball B1 shoves A1. A1 is awarded bonus freethrows.

Yes, foul on B and in the bonus.

Quote:

3. A1 attempts a shot and on the rebound A2 fouls B1. B1 is awarded bonus freethrows due to neither team having team control.

Am I correct?

No TC on a try until possession. So yes you are correct on all of these.

Peace

JRutledge Tue Sep 25, 2012 02:43pm

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Peace

jeremy341a Tue Sep 25, 2012 02:46pm

Thanks. Long time reader first time poster. I called my first "official" game the other night and my "senior partner" would not allow me to award bonus freethrows on the #3 the rebounding foul bc he said there was no team control. I thought I knew what I was talking about but he got me second guessing myself.

JRutledge Tue Sep 25, 2012 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 856042)
Thanks. Long time reader first time poster. I called my first "official" game the other night and my "senior partner" would not allow me to award bonus freethrows on the #3 the rebounding foul bc he said there was no team control. I thought I knew what I was talking about but he got me second guessing myself.

Well that is what experience will do for you. And the more and more you work, the more and more confident you will get over what should be done. It is common to doubt yourself early on with rules you have not applied that much in your career.

Peace

rockyroad Tue Sep 25, 2012 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 856042)

That's exactly why you WOULD shoot the bonus free throws...sounds like your senior partner was confused.

JRutledge Tue Sep 25, 2012 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 856050)
That's exactly why you WOULD shoot the bonus free throws...sounds like your senior partner was confused.

He could have had a brain fart. I had the same last year on a loose ball and signaled that we had bonus FTs to shoot. Then a partner came to me and reminded me the situation and saved the crew and me. It happens sometimes in unusual situations sometimes.

Peace

Adam Tue Sep 25, 2012 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 856052)
He could have had a brain fart. I had the same last year on a loose ball and signaled that we had bonus FTs to shoot. Then a partner came to me and reminded me the situation and saved the crew and me. It happens sometimes in unusual situations sometimes.

Peace

Unusual situations (loose ball stuff), sure. But rebounding fouls should be (I know, I know) basic.

I wonder, though, if jeremy didn't just type it wrong and his veteran partner thought there was team control.

Or, and this is just a thought, A1 was able to control the rebound before fouling B1 (not likely, but possible.) This would make it a PC foul.

JRutledge Tue Sep 25, 2012 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 856054)
Unusual situations (loose ball stuff), sure. But rebounding fouls should be (I know, I know) basic.

I wonder, though, if jeremy didn't just type it wrong and his veteran partner thought there was team control.

Or, and this is just a thought, A1 was able to control the rebound before fouling B1 (not likely, but possible.) This would make it a PC foul.

All I was trying to say was that we have mental lapses from time to time. It could be that one of the officials was not thinking and questioned what they should do.

Peace

Adam Tue Sep 25, 2012 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 856056)
All I was trying to say was that we have mental lapses from time to time. It could be that one of the officials was not thinking and questioned what they should do.

Peace

Agreed, and this is the time of year where a lot of officials are shaking off the rust.

BillyMac Tue Sep 25, 2012 05:56pm

In The Navy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 856065)
Agreed, and this is the time of year where a lot of officials are shaking off the rust.

Shake? I need more than that, maybe some Naval Jelly would help?

Adam Tue Sep 25, 2012 06:23pm

Maybe some Rust-eze?

jritchie Wed Sep 26, 2012 08:11am

Quote:

Am I correct?

In 1 and 2, the shove could also be an intentional or flagrant foul, then you would have 2 free throws and a possible ejection if flagrant.

jeremy341a Wed Sep 26, 2012 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 856054)

No I didn't type it wrong. It was just your garden variety rebounding foul with no possession yet. I knew it was basic, I've seen it a million times during my time playing, watching, and coaching. He was just so "sure of himself" tha he got me second guessing myself.

jeremy341a Wed Sep 26, 2012 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 856120)
In 1 and 2, the shove could also be an intentional or flagrant foul, then you would have 2 free throws and a possible ejection if flagrant.

Yeah I worded that poorly. I should have used another term to mean a common foul. Guess that's why I teach Math and not English. :)