The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Say What???

Watching Olympics hoops (mainly the officials) with my better looking and smarter half, and she asked me a question that I didn't have an answer to (yes, add THAT one to the list too...shocker

Basically, with FIBA/Olympic officials being from different countries, working games with different countries, how does the language barrier come in to play? I know there is a "language of officiating" with mechanics, etc., but what about communication with coaches and even eachother? Say I'm working France/Spain, partner A is from Italy, Partner B from Germany or somewhere, and I speak neither French, Spanish, Italian or German? Does each crew always have someone who can speak other languages? Is that an Olympic/FIBA requrement? Are there translators? Looking for some honest answers from anyone in the know, please
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 07:22am
This IS My Social Life

Keine Hilfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Say I'm working France/Spain, partner A is from Italy, Partner B from Germany or somewhere, and I speak neither French, Spanish, Italian or German? Does each crew always have someone who can speak other languages? Is that an Olympic/FIBA requrement? Are there translators? Looking for some honest answers from anyone in the know, please
Es tut mir leid. Ich kann nur Deutsch sprechen.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Es tut mir leid. Ich kann nur Deutsch sprechen.
Neither can I.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Say huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy View Post
es tut mir leid. Ich kann nur deutsch sprechen.
Я не говорю на немецком языке.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 09:25am
Back from the DL

My wife asked me about the restricted area. I told her they have that in NBA and college, but not NFHS. The concept of the "secondary defender" may be more of a struggle for some NFHS officials.

Then, I got to thinking. Are the FIBA rules the same regarding the restricted area, that it only applies to secondary offenders?
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 10:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
My wife asked me about the restricted area. I told her they have that in NBA and college, but not NFHS. The concept of the "secondary defender" may be more of a struggle for some NFHS officials.
Or, and this is admittedly less likely, the NFHS committee agrees with me. It's a stupid rule.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Then, I got to thinking. Are the FIBA rules the same regarding the restricted area, that it only applies to secondary offenders?

Here it is straight from the FIBA rule book

33.10 No-charge semi-circle areas
The no-charge semi-circle areas are drawn on the playing court for the purpose of designating a specific area for the interpretation of charge/block situations under the basket.
On any penetration play situation into the no-charge semi-circle area a contact caused by an airborne offensive player with a defensive player inside the no-charge semi-circle shall not be called as an offensive foul, unless the offensive player is illegally using his hands, arms, legs or body, when
• the offensive player is in control of the ball whilst airborne, and
• he attempts a shot for a field goal or passes off the ball, and
• the defensive player has both feet inside the no-charge semi-circle area.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:09am
Back from the DL

Thanks, Jay. I don't see "secondary defender" in there anywhere. Interesting.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Watching Olympics hoops (mainly the officials) with my better looking and smarter half, and she asked me a question that I didn't have an answer to (yes, add THAT one to the list too...shocker

Basically, with FIBA/Olympic officials being from different countries, working games with different countries, how does the language barrier come in to play? I know there is a "language of officiating" with mechanics, etc., but what about communication with coaches and even eachother? Say I'm working France/Spain, partner A is from Italy, Partner B from Germany or somewhere, and I speak neither French, Spanish, Italian or German? Does each crew always have someone who can speak other languages? Is that an Olympic/FIBA requrement? Are there translators? Looking for some honest answers from anyone in the know, please
I believe in FIFA, the official language is English and therefore, the officials are required to be able to speak it. I'd assume FIBA has something similar

Quote:
Thanks, Jay. I don't see "secondary defender" in there anywhere. Interesting.
Here are some interpreations in regard to the no charge semi-circle:
FIBA 2010 Interpretations

STATEMENT
The purpose of the no-charge semi-circle rule is not to reward a defensive player who has taken a position under his own basket in order to draw a charging foul against an offensive player who is in control of the ball and is penetrating towards the basket.

For the no-charge semi-circle rule to be applied:

(a) The defensive player shall have both feet inside the semi-circle area (see Diagram 1). The semi-circle line is not part of the semi-circle area.

(b) The offensive player shall drive to the basket across the semi-circle line and attempt a shot for a field goal or a pass while airborne.

The no-charge semi-circle rule is not to be applied and any contact shall be judged according to normal regulations, e. g. cylinder principle, charge/block principle:

(a) For all play situations occurring outside the no-charge semi-circle area, also developing from the area between the semi-circle area and the endline.

(b) For all rebounding play situations when, after a shot for a field goal, the ball rebounds and a contact situation occurs.

(c) For any illegal use of the hands, arms, legs or body by either offensive or defensive player.

You're right in that the rule doesn't mention secondary defenders, but in essence, the rule is all but written with secondary defenders in mind as realistically speaking, that's going to be the only defender that would have both feet entirely in the no charge semi-circle attempting to take a charge.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:31pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I believe in FIFA, the official language is English and therefore, the officials are required to be able to speak it. I'd assume FIBA has something similar
You are correct sir! English is the official language of FIBA.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
You're right in that the rule doesn't mention secondary defenders, but in essence, the rule is all but written with secondary defenders in mind as realistically speaking, that's going to be the only defender that would have both feet entirely in the no charge semi-circle attempting to take a charge.
I disagree. A primary defender coming in the the play who backs themselves into the semi-circle just before contact can't get the charge as this rule appears to be written where they can under NCAA rules (and presumably NBA rules)
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I disagree. A primary defender coming in the the play who backs themselves into the semi-circle just before contact can't get the charge as this rule appears to be written where they can under NCAA rules (and presumably NBA rules)
Well that could happen, but first of all, the primary defender would have to be completely in the no charge semi circle to not be legal. That affords the defender some extra space to take a charge. More often than not, I'm thinking if a primary defender were going to take a charge, they wouldn't that deep near the basket.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid Communist Metric System, Stupid Communist Fluoride In Drinking Water ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
You are correct sir! English is the official language of FIBA.
Now that's good news. How about the official FIBA system of measurement?

(Note: National Geographic claims that many languages are dying out, at a rapidly accelerating pace. Eventually all the inhabitants of Earth will be speaking just four languages: English, Spanish, Hindi, or Mandarin. Eventually we'll all be speaking the same language and then we'll get together to build a tower high up into the sky. Maybe we'll call it the Tower of Babel? Wait? That already happened. Nevermind.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 30, 2012 at 04:50pm.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 04:57pm
beware big brother

gotta disagree with you snaqs, the ra is a good rule. i see way less crashes near the hoop in the college games i officiate as compared to the hs games i work because the defensive players know they either have to get over and help sooner, thus putting themselves in a position to actually defend the basket, or get out of the way. imo, there is no way a defensive player should be rewarded for obtaining/maintaining lg position in the restricted area. they need to get their *** out further and play some actual defense.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
gotta disagree with you snaqs, the ra is a good rule. i see way less crashes near the hoop in the college games i officiate as compared to the hs games i work because the defensive players know they either have to get over and help sooner, thus putting themselves in a position to actually defend the basket, or get out of the way. imo, there is no way a defensive player should be rewarded for obtaining/maintaining lg position in the restricted area. they need to get their *** out further and play some actual defense.
I personally think it makes for a better game, but you'll have the other side point out that the offensive player should just pull up and shoot a pull up. Personally, I like the defense either getting further out to take the charge, or jump and attempt to block the shot...and the RA forces defenders to do that instead of just running to a spot near the basket.

Tl;dr version: We basically agree with each other.