The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Taking the Plunge (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92071-taking-plunge.html)

Stat-Man Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:05pm

Taking the Plunge

I wish Mick was still around... I'm sure he'd like this post.

I decided to pursue officiating. I passed the MHSAA's Guidebook Exam and the Basketball Mechanics Exam this past weekend. :)

I've applied for membership in a local association where I've seen the trainers and one of the assignors in action and I'm looking forward to the initial Rookies Meeting should I be accepted. I'm also hoping that I'll get my first games this winter.

In the meantime, I'm definitely going to be reviewing the mechanics manual regularly. Even though subvarsity games have a two person crew, I have a feeling the sooner I understand three person mechanics, the better it will be for me.

I may also officiate softball at some point as well.

It should be an interesting experience.

johnny d Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:10pm

dont worry about 3 man mechanics until you have mastered 2 person mechanics. you will most likely start out on 2 person games. if you are messing those games up because you lack knowledge of rules and appropriate mechanics you wont have to worry about moving up to 3 man games.

JRutledge Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 849457)
dont worry about 3 man mechanics until you have mastered 2 person mechanics. you will most likely start out on 2 person games. if you are messing those games up because you lack knowledge of rules and appropriate mechanics you wont have to worry about moving up to 3 man games.

You can learn both of them together. But the reality is you will not work a lot of 3 Person in the early years except for camps and off-season games. It is good to have an understanding of both to know why you have a 3rd and how much you have to work in 2 to get other things that you would not have to in 3.

Peace

Adam Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 849458)
You can learn both of them together. But the reality is you will not work a lot of 3 Person in the early years except for camps and off-season games. It is good to have an understanding of both to know why you have a 3rd and how much you have to work in 2 to get other things that you would not have to in 3.

Peace

Agreed. To me, the biggest benefit of 3 person was learning how to cross over. I'm still slow to do it in 2, but I do it more than a lot of guys do.

grunewar Thu Jul 19, 2012 05:15am

Misleading Title?

I thought you were writing to tell us you were getting married! ;)

Good luck and have fun!

Enjoy the challenge that is our avocation!

BillyMac Thu Jul 19, 2012 06:05am

I Had A Different Thought ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 849468)
I thought you were writing to tell us you were getting married.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XhQJSo3mGpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillyMac Thu Jul 19, 2012 06:06am

Take Two ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 849468)
I thought you were writing to tell us you were getting married!

http://adsoftheworld.com/files/image..._1.preview.jpg

Welpe Thu Jul 19, 2012 08:08am

Good gracious...really?

Stat, congrats! I'm glad to see this. Good luck on your class and remember, have fun out there. :)

Adam Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:15am

Billy, sometimes I think Brad needs to assign a moderator just for you.

And do you really think this is appropriate posting to go with that signature line?

Smitty Thu Jul 19, 2012 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 849493)

And do you really think this is appropriate posting to go with that signature line?

Feeling happy that I have him on ignore....

Mark Padgett Thu Jul 19, 2012 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 849455)
I decided to pursue officiating.

Don't forget to always implement the first rule of officiating. :)

26 Year Gap Thu Jul 19, 2012 04:51pm

Great news. Observe as many games as you are able to and find a mentor if one is not assigned to you. You will not learn everything at once, so try not to get overwhelmed.

BillyMac Thu Jul 19, 2012 05:13pm

What ???

Quote:

I believe that it's in John's Gospel where Jesus states that it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a woman to bungee jump in front of a photograph of another woman wearing a supportive foundation garment. Don't quote me on that. Maybe it was Luke? I have to double check with my pastor on Sunday.

just another ref Thu Jul 19, 2012 05:36pm

Quote:

+1

Seriously, Billy, consider a sedative.

BillyMac Thu Jul 19, 2012 06:21pm

Not Too Far Fetched ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 849534)
Consider a sedative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 849455)
Taking the Plunge.

"Take The Ultimate Plunge" and "Take The Nestea Plunge" (It was 100 degrees F here in Connecticut at the time, which is why I immediately thought of this when I read the title of Stat-Man's thread).

It's the summer. It's the off season. The Forum has been as dead as a door nail. Almost twenty-four hours between posts this past weekend. Can't we all just lighten up for a few more weeks. Isn't there a mid-western state that plays girls high school basketball in an autumn season? God, I hope so. Not that there's anything wrong with FIBA Olympic basketball.