The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blarge (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/91901-blarge.html)

The_Rookie Sat Jun 30, 2012 09:39am

Blarge

Called a Block on a drive to the basket in da Lane. Coach asks why is it a block.

Told him your guy did not have LGP and was not planted.

I know the "Planted" is not in the book..but does it describe how this call is made?

Help with explaining BLARGE to a coach...

Thanks and stay cool!

Adam Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 847844)
Called a Block on a drive to the basket in da Lane. Coach asks why is it a block.

I know the "Planted" is not in the book..but does it describe how this call is made?

Thanks and stay cool!

Never use "planted" because it doesn't matter. "He was late to the spot" or "he was moving into the shooter" both work better without perpetuating rule myths.

JetMetFan Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:38am

Quote:

Thanks and stay cool!

You were good until "and was not planted." If he wanted more then, as Snaqwells said, explain why he didn't have LGP ("he was late," "he moved forward into the offensive player.").

With the blarge: are you trying to explain why you and your partner had different calls, why you decided to go with one call instead of the other or why the decision was to call a double foul?

BillyMac Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:02pm

The Infamous Blarge ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 847848)
With the blarge: are you trying to explain why you and your partner had different calls, why you decided to go with one call instead of the other or why the decision was to call a double foul?

Download http://gsoa.org/basketball/blarge09.pdf

BillyMac Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:03pm

NFHS Double Foul ...

4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter
A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the
other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.
RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it
is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul.
The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal
is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for
Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try
in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)

Raymond Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:06pm

Quote:

Thanks and stay cool!

Was the offensive player airborne?

JetMetFan Sat Jun 30, 2012 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 847856)

Oh, I know what the result is supposed to be (choice 3). What I don't know is exactly why he's asking and/or what he and his partner ended up doing :)

The_Rookie Sat Jun 30, 2012 05:05pm

Sorry for not being clear

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 847889)
Oh, I know what the result is supposed to be (choice 3). What I don't know is exactly why he's asking and/or what he and his partner ended up doing :)

Sorry for not being clear...Looking to explain a block to a coach who thought its was player control.

The_Rookie Sat Jun 30, 2012 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 847859)
Was the offensive player airborne?

Not Airbone..just a crash in lane

JetMetFan Sat Jun 30, 2012 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 847892)
Sorry for not being clear...Looking to explain a block to a coach who thought its was player control.

Ah, okay. The OP made it sound as though you were talking about two different plays. A blarge is you and your partner simultaneously calling a block/charge situation differently. What you're describing is the coach disagreeing with your call.

Answer is same as before: just tell him his player didn't have LGP then explain - in as few words as possible - why.

Adam Sat Jun 30, 2012 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 847894)
Answer is same as before: just tell him his player didn't have LGP then explain - in as few words as possible - why.

Yep, without using such loaded words as "set" or "planted."

APG Sat Jun 30, 2012 06:39pm

Like others have said, don't use terms like "set" or "planted" as that can come back and bit you in the but when you have to call a charge even with the defender still moving.

"He was moving forward at the time of contact."
"He didn't beat the player to the spot."
etc.

In fact, in general, I find that discussions/explanations with coaches are a lot easier when you stick to officiating terms and philosophies.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jul 01, 2012 03:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 847901)
Like others have said, don't use terms like "set" or "planted" as that can come back and bit you in the but when you have to call a charge even with the defender still moving.

"He was moving forward at the time of contact."
"He didn't beat the player to the spot."
etc.

In fact, in general, I find that discussions/explanations with coaches are a lot easier when you stick to officiating terms and philosophies.

Good advice APG because being accurate confuses the heck out of them, ;).

MTD, Sr.

JRutledge Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35pm

Just use "Coach, he had legal guarding position." If they do not know what that means then there is really not much you are going to explain to them after that if they are convinced you got the call right.

Peace

just another ref Sun Jul 01, 2012 04:02pm

Suggestion: A coach arguing a block/charge call should be the basketball equivalent of arguing balls and strikes and result in an automatic ejection.