The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   you make the call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90699-you-make-call.html)

lmfc saints Fri Apr 20, 2012 08:38am

you make the call

In a recent youth basketball game a young fella - reacting out of frustration, hauled off and kicked his defensive opponent in the face (please see video clip hereYou Make the Call - YouTube No call was made regarding such. How would you re-act to this issue and what would be your call - if you made a call at all?

JugglingReferee Fri Apr 20, 2012 08:48am

I don't see that "step" as losing his balance, or moving to another spot. But I'm not 100% (yet?) that is deliberate.

At minimum, I have a technical foul. If it was deliberate, then flagrant.

APG Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:09am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gURu1K5Q9g8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ballgame99 Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:12am

Didn't look deliberate to me. Not sure that I would have anything either.

Adam Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:35am

It looks deliberate to me, he's done.

If I see it. It's quick, and neither official has the same angle as the camera, so it's very possible they didn't see it. Turn this video in to the league, though, and let them deal with it. This is the sort of play that can be dealt with after the fact. They may not agree with me that it was deliberate, but that's not a normal movement IMO.

Raymond Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmfc saints (Post 838154)
In a recent youth basketball game a young fella - reacting out of frustration, hauled off and kicked his defensive opponent in the face (please see video clip hereYou Make the Call - YouTube No call was made regarding such. How would you re-act to this issue and what would be your call - if you made a call at all?

As described it's no doubt a flagrant personal/technical foul. But I've often found that descriptions don't alway match the actual incident.

Now that I've viewed it I would judge it a flagrant technical (judging held ball occurred first) despite the immediate remorse A1 is showing. I think he got frustrated and kicked his opponent and then realized what he did.

Adam Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 838169)
As described it's no doubt a flagrant personal/technical foul. But I've often found that descriptions don't alway match the actual incident.

IMHO, it wasn't too far off on this one.

Raymond Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 838170)
IMHO, it wasn't too far off on this one.

Video wasn't working when I posted originally. I've added on to my post.

just another ref Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnewsref (Post 838169)
as described it's no doubt a flagrant personal/technical foul. But i've often found that descriptions don't alway match the actual incident.

Now that i've viewed it i would judge it a flagrant technical (judging held ball occurred first) despite the immediate remorse a1 is showing. I think he got frustrated and kicked his opponent and then realized what he did.

+1

rockyroad Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:28am

That's a flagrant, imo.

That was not a "step"...if it was a "step" his momentum would have kept him going in that direction. He's got the ball tucked under his arm and he kicks the kid in the face. Bye-bye.

APG Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39am

That's not even legal under the unified rules of mixed marital arts...and that's a flagrant foul if I'm working the game.

BigT Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50am

Wow

He sure does seem like he is frustrated and kicks. I dont think he realized he was going to hit the kid in the head. I would eject him and hope he learns when faces are on the floor getting frustrated and kicking has serious consequences.

Welpe Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13pm

Flagrant T. The officials may have gotten blocked on this but it illustrates perfectly why we have to keep officiating after the whistle is blown.

JugglingReferee Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13pm

Eek. Watched it full screen. Definitely flagrant.

Amesman Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 838167)
It looks deliberate to me, he's done.

Turn this video in to the league, though, and let them deal with it. This is the sort of play that can be dealt with after the fact. They may not agree with me that it was deliberate, but that's not a normal movement IMO.

+1

This is not the act of some clumsy, underachieving, frustrated ball player.