The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA Official Keeps Spare Whistle in Pocket! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90681-nba-official-keeps-spare-whistle-pocket.html)

JugglingReferee Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:39pm

NBA Official Keeps Spare Whistle in Pocket!

Antawn Jamison passes ball directly into referee?s face (VIDEO) | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports

Adam Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:47pm

As long as he's not switching it from one pocket to the other every time there's a change in the arrow.

JugglingReferee Thu Apr 19, 2012 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 838074)
As long as he's not switching it from one pocket to the other every time there's a change in the arrow.

What if he switches whistles every arrow, and alternates which pocket keeps the spare? :p

Welpe Thu Apr 19, 2012 02:06pm

Quote:

I still don't understand the antipathy towards this practice.

BillyMac Thu Apr 19, 2012 02:24pm

I'd Rather Fight And Switch ...

Quote:

Hey? You talkin' to me? You gotta a problem with that? And what's wrong with wearing a black belt? And we point to the floor when a shooter is stepping on the three point line. You gotta a problem with that, too?

fiasco Thu Apr 19, 2012 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 838091)

Some people just have a constant desire to criticize other people for things that have zero effect on anything that really makes a difference.

rockyroad Thu Apr 19, 2012 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 838094)
Some people just have a constant desire to criticize other people for things that have zero effect on anything that really makes a difference.

And other people just have a constant desire to criticize those people for doing that.

Pot, meet kettle.

letemplay Thu Apr 19, 2012 04:01pm

Swallowing the whistle?

One vote for the lanyard.

Adam Thu Apr 19, 2012 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 838091)

The same as the antipathy for those who go without a lanyard, I suppose. Honestly, I think the whole thing is funny. I won't use the pocket trick, but I see a few JV officials in my area who do. Since I haven't inquired, I don't know if it's a bad thing or not here.

I would add facial hair to this category; things that don't really matter but can affect the image you present. Some areas don't care. Other areas, once you've established yourself it won't matter.

Adam Thu Apr 19, 2012 04:15pm

Well, if nothing else, he's proven he doesn't ball watch from C.

SNIPERBBB Thu Apr 19, 2012 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 838108)
The same as the antipathy for those who go without a lanyard, I suppose. Honestly, I think the whole thing is funny. I won't use the pocket trick, but I see a few JV officials in my area who do. Since I haven't inquired, I don't know if it's a bad thing or not here.

I would add facial hair to this category; things that don't really matter but can affect the image you present. Some areas don't care. Other areas, once you've established yourself it won't matter.

The alternating pocket trick comes into effect during Rec league season here. For HS games, its not needed as usually the table knows what they are doing or learn quickly after being corrected.

stiffler3492 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 838109)
Well, if nothing else, he's proven he doesn't ball watch from C.

I would hope he proved that a long time ago to get to where he is.

As for the facial hair, I always officiate clean shaven, but that's because I don't grow a good beard. I worked with a guy this past season who always has a beard, and he keeps it very neat. I know for a fact that he's well established in the community, so it may not matter for him. As others have alluded to, his officiating speaks for itself.

letemplay Fri Apr 20, 2012 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 838130)

As for the facial hair, I always officiate clean shaven, but that's because I don't grow a good beard. I worked with a guy this past season who always has a beard, and he keeps it very neat. I know for a fact that he's well established in the community, so it may not matter for him. As others have alluded to, his officiating speaks for itself.

A guy around here has the affectionate nickname of "Mr T", both for his bearded appearance... and his whack-a-thons:D

Adam Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 838130)

Actually, around here, it would help if it's kept well trimmed rather than just looking like you forgot to shave.

Welpe Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 838166)
Actually, around here, it would help if it's kept well trimmed rather than just looking like you forgot to shave.

Well you do live in the mountains...