The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules app for Iphone

I noticeded this App is now available for the I-Phone has anyone purchased this app?( even for Android) How do you like it?
Also is this an app that has to be purchased (like the Rule books) every year, or do you get the updates when they are available? Just asking because I would rather purchase this in the fall when the rule changes come out.

Thanks Again
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 07:52am
Archaic Power Monger

I bought the one for baseball for my iPhone and I like it quite a bit. It is nice having the casebook and rulebook all in one place and when reading a particular rule, relevant cross reference material is provided and easy to access. Searching is also a breeze.

I have no idea about updates but my guess is it will be a yearly purchase.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 08:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I bought the one for baseball for my iPhone and I like it quite a bit. It is nice having the casebook and rulebook all in one place and when reading a particular rule, relevant cross reference material is provided and easy to access. Searching is also a breeze.

I have no idea about updates but my guess is it will be a yearly purchase.
We take Part I and Part II open book where I am and using the app to search for phrases in the questions cut my test taking time considerably this season.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I don't understand the need for an app. Why can't one just put the PDF files on the iPhone and read/search them directly?
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 03:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Very simple. Not every phone or tablet device is good with PDF files. Even on the computer PDF files can be a little difficult to navigate at times. This is much more of a problem on a phone or IPad in my experience.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 03:52pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't understand the need for an app. Why can't one just put the PDF files on the iPhone and read/search them directly?
It's the inconvenient matter of the Fed not making the PDFs available anymore. Plus the cross referencing is also useful and the formatting is much more readable than a PDF on an iPhone.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Very simple. Not every phone or tablet device is good with PDF files. Even on the computer PDF files can be a little difficult to navigate at times. This is much more of a problem on a phone or IPad in my experience.

Peace
Well, that is no more of an issue with PDF files than it would be with a bad app.

I'd suggest that every device that can get an app as being discussed (iPhone or Android) is very likely able to deal quite well with a PDF. If not, get a different PDF reader app.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 04:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Well, that is no more of an issue with PDF files than it would be with a bad app.

I'd suggest that every device that can get an app as being discussed (iPhone or Android) is very likely able to deal quite well with a PDF. If not, get a different PDF reader app.
Well I can speak for my Android and downloads with PDF files do not work that great. Yes you can read them, but not something I want to spend a lot of time dealing with as reading a paragraph can be challenging on a PDF file. Now on my IPad PDFs do not automatically work that great either or not as good as an App. I do not know that I would buy the app either way, but I can see the reason for it. And if I have to go find a better PDF reader, then what is the point of not buying the app?

Peace
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 04:16pm
Official & Member

Is anyone else irritated that it's $6 a pop for the publications? I pay .99 for apps that have hundreds of hours of development and programming invested in them. $6 would make it the second most expensive app on my phone.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 04:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Is anyone else irritated that it's $6 a pop for the publications? I pay .99 for apps that have hundreds of hours of development and programming invested in them. $6 would make it the second most expensive app on my phone.
If it is the ITunes store, there are more expensive apps. Not so sure about the Android as I do not use many apps for my phone anymore.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Volume sales (or lack thereof)...only so many people are going to buy a rulebook app. The NFHS's primary source of funding is rulebooks....they want to make about that amount of money from each person that is willing to buy a rulebook. They need it to exist. Without it, they'd not be able to do the things they do. Of course, one could argue that they do not need to do all the things they do (yearly rules changes, for one, but that leads to more book sales). But that is another issue.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

PDQ's ...

Quote:
It's the inconvenient matter of the Fed not making the PDFs available anymore.
Amen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's the inconvenient matter of the Fed not making the PDFs available anymore.
That's just not true. I have them all from the past several years including the most recent versions. Several forum members have them.
Quote:
Plus the cross referencing is also useful and the formatting is much more readable than a PDF on an iPhone.
Perhaps these reasons are valid, but I don't know because I just look at the PDFs on my iPhone. I was curious to see the responses of others since I don't understand exactly what the app does as I don't need to pay for the content. I already own that.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2012, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Of course now every overbearing parent is going to have a copy of the rules on their i-phone during the HS season. We'll be pretending not to hear "Hey Ref, that's not how I read 41.2."
Old Wed Apr 11, 2012, 08:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
$6 and you get the rules book, case book, and all the cross-referencing. Most e-books bought from Amazon or Apple are more than 99 cents.