The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Neither Rain Nor Snow Nor Gloom Of Night ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I met Karl Malone at a truck stop once. I guess he liked to do a little trucking.
Was it a mail truck?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep On Truckin' ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I met Karl Malone at a truck stop once. I guess he liked to do a little trucking.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 10:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

One of the jobs I had as a kid was parking cars at a steak house. The restaurant was actually owned by the mob, but that's another story. Anyway, one of its best customers was Lou Boudreau. Lou was a former MLB player and manager of the Cubs. He'd come in for dinner once or twice a week and I parked his car most of the times he came there. He wasn't a very big tipper and it might have been because he knew I was a White Sox fan.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

I used to work as a sports editor at a small newspaper that had a minor league baseball team. Over the years, I got to meet Hall of Fame pitcher Warren Spahn (far more interested in our paper's very pretty photographer than in talking to me), Bob Feller (the man's ego matched his famed fastball), Dallas Greene (huge guy ... just filled the room), and a collection of Penthouse Pets who played is charity softball games (very pretty, very well built, not very good players).

The saddest one was meeting Billy Martin in the early 1980s. This was when he was doing commercials for Miller Lite with George Steinbrenner, making fun of him being fired all the time and always getting into fights. In one ad, he had the line "I didn't punch no doggie." I was interviewing him while we were watching the game, and every 30 seconds or so, somebody would wallk up to us and yell, "I didn't punch no doggie" or "Hey, Billy, been fired today?" and other smart comments.

He finally went down to the bullpen, away from the crowd. It was the only place where he could have a conversation and watch the game in peace. I have never seen anybody look more haunted in my life. I remember thinking at the time, "No matter whatr they are paying him, it's not worth it."
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

My younger son's team played at YBOA Nationals a couple of years ago. Shaq's son's team was in our pool. We lost a close one to them, and my son had a pretty good game. Shaq made it a point to talk to the boys' coach afterward, and spent a few minutes with my son. The next day, they played right after us. While our game was going on, Shaq's son's team came into the gym. Shaq sat down beside me and spent the next 10-15 minutes just having a "dad stuff" conversation. After our game he spent a few minutes with my son, and had his picture taken with the team. During the next NBA season, when the Celtics came to Atlanta, I got tickets for my two sons to attend the game. Shaq spotted them when he came out for warm-ups and told them to wait for him after the game. They did, and he came out and spent about 10 minutes talking to them.

- Catherine Aird
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Previously, I mentioned Jerry Colangelo. I also saw him once here in Portland at Memorial Coluseum, which is where the Blazers played before moving to the Rose Garden. He was in the lobby talking on a pay phone (remember those?). At the time, he was the owner of the Phoenix Suns. I recognized him, and after he got off the phone (I could hear him talking about a trade!) I introduced myself and told him I had gone to HS with his sister, Rosemary, and that I once saw him at a party at his parents house. He actually remembered the party, although he didn't remember me. We talked about our old HS for a minute, then he had to leave.

And speaking of Jerry - when he did go to my HS (years before me), he was a pitcher on our baseball team. One of the other pitchers on that same team was Jim Bouton. I also saw Jim here in Portland. After his career was basically over, the class A minor league Portland Mavericks baseball team hired him on as a promotion. I went to one of the games and he was warming up in the bullpen. I leaned down out of the stands and yelled that I had gone to the same HS as him. He smiled and came over to the stands. I was able to reach down and shake his hand. Just like with Jerry, Jim and I talked for a minute about our old HS. I also told him how much I liked his books about baseball. He said that if I had one with me (which I didn't), he would autograph it for me. It was quite an experience.

BTW - the HS I was referring to is Bloom HS in Chicago Heights, Illinois.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 03:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Of course, there was that one time I ran into Dr. Naismith at Hooters! He was at a table next to Diebler.

Damn - where's those meds?