The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Iw? T? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90266-iw-t.html)

letemplay Tue Mar 27, 2012 08:09am

Iw? T?

Comments, please: Team A is out of timeouts nearing the end of a tie ballgame. They have possession of ball but get trapped on baseline, at their end of court. T (on bench side) thinks he hears A HC call a TO and hits whistle. Coach gives him a look of disbelief and says "I said 'get it out', not time out. I'm out of timeouts, why would I call one". What to do now? Give back to A under inadvertant whistle rule? Call T on A for excessive time outs?

Jeremy Hohn Tue Mar 27, 2012 08:29am

Start the inbound process over again, and know your situation! :rolleyes:

bainsey Tue Mar 27, 2012 08:38am

Benefit of the doubt. Tap your chest and administer A's throw-in.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 834481)
Comments, please: Team A is out of timeouts nearing the end of a tie ballgame. They have possession of ball but get trapped on baseline, at their end of court. T (on bench side) thinks he hears A HC call a TO and hits whistle. Coach gives him a look of disbelief and says "I said 'get it out', not time out. I'm out of timeouts, why would I call one". What to do now? Give back to A under inadvertant whistle rule? Call T on A for excessive time outs?

If it is a game under NFHS rules...simply follow this play ruling:

5.8.3 SITUATION E:
A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the
Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official;
or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling “side out” offensive instructions to his/her
team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out.
RULING:

In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and
granted; once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges
and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams.
Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped. In
(b), an inadvertent whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out,
and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the
point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)

Raymond Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:22am

Quote:

Do you have any locals who are telling you to charge the time-out?

letemplay Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:27am

Thanks guys, looks like the crew (15-U AAU in TN) handled this one correctly as I suspected, although HC B was def wanting something else:(

Raymond Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 834495)
Thanks guys, looks like the crew (15-U AAU in TN) handled this one correctly as I suspected, although HC B was def wanting something else:(

Realistically, what else should Coach B expect to come from the IW?

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 834495)
.....although HC B was def wanting something else:(

Like what? A beer? :p

letemplay Tue Mar 27, 2012 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 834498)
Realistically, what else should Coach B expect to come from the IW?

Not sure, but prob his complaint was the IW let A out of the trap. He was about to (maybe) gain possession. Team A scored the gw a few passes later after the inbounds.

tref Tue Mar 27, 2012 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 834523)
Team A scored the gw a few passes later after the inbounds.

*Ouch* Stuff happens, good thing the real trophies have already been given out!

Adam Tue Mar 27, 2012 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 834533)
*Ouch* Stuff happens, good thing the real trophies have already been given out!

Yep. Tough situation to be put into, but there's no way out without screwing one side or the other. I'd own up to it with B coach, "Coach, I messed up and thought I heard a timeout request. I was wrong, so I can't penalize them for that."

High school, I'd let him bend my ear for a few seconds. AAU, we're moving on and if he doesn't want to he'll get a quick warning.

JugglingReferee Tue Mar 27, 2012 06:31pm

Quote:

IW, naturally.