The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Davidson v. Louisville (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89914-davidson-v-louisville.html)

APG Fri Mar 16, 2012 01:23am

Davidson v. Louisville

As requested:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yUWKsbf6wvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Fri Mar 16, 2012 03:35am

Nothing....once the momentum of the dive ceased, there was no additional movement.

And I DO believe that would be a travel if the player had started in that position without any momentum and then rolled over of their own volition.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 16, 2012 03:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 832312)
Nothing....once the momentum of the dive ceased, there was no additional movement.

And I DO believe that would be a travel if the player had started in that position without any momentum and then rolled over of their own volition.

I agree and thought that while watching the game live.
It goes to show how some of these decisions can go either way and be correct.
There will be several who deem this a travel.

JugglingReferee Fri Mar 16, 2012 06:53am

Not a travel - not at all.

Mr. Ref Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:32am

I'm of the opinion that I don't see how it is not a travel.

Lands on the ball, tucks it into his chest and then rolls over. Also once he is on his side he moves from that position to a sitting position.

bainsey Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:38am

I don't know if there's a difference between NFHS and NCAA rules regarding rolling over and momentum.

In NFHS, rolling over is a travel, but sliding with momentum is not. Does momentum apply to rolling over (either rule set)?

M&M Guy Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ref (Post 832361)
I'm of the opinion that I don't see how it is not a travel.

Lands on the ball, tucks it into his chest and then rolls over. Also once he is on his side he moves from that position to a sitting position.

Under NCAA rules, your opinion would be incorrect.

A.R. 132 - Is it traveling when a player: ...(3) Gains control of the ball while sliding on the playing court and then, because of momentum, rolls or slides, after which the player passes or or starts a dribble before getting to his or her feet?

RULING: (3) No. The player may pass, shoot, start a dribble, or call a timeout. Once the player has the ball and is no longer sliding, he or she may not roll over. When flat on his or her back, the player may sit up without violating.

Adam Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 832362)
I don't know if there's a difference between NFHS and NCAA rules regarding rolling over and momentum.

In NFHS, rolling over is a travel, but sliding with momentum is not. Does momentum apply to rolling over (either rule set)?

The rule basically restricts movement after the momentum has ceased. Once the player's momentum stopped, he was sufficiently on his backside that he could legally sit up.

VTOfficial Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:23am

I do agree...

After watching the replays, I agree with others that this is not a travel. He still had momentum when he gathered the ball into his chest and was still in his dive when he rolled over.

I will file this one away as a good reference for future game situations.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 832362)

The NFHS "sliding" point is in a case play...which means it is an example of the types of plays they want to be legal, not an exhaustive list of plays that are legal. The principle is that hustle plays to get a lose ball are intended to be legal....they want players to dive to the floor to get the ball...and the stuff that comes directly from diving to get it should not be considered illegal....slide or tumble.