The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mike Kitts... B1G Championship (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89838-mike-kitts-b1g-championship.html)

M&M Guy Mon Mar 12, 2012 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 831611)
I thought I heard a buzzing sound in my ears.

Hopefully it's a wasp?

Rich Mon Mar 12, 2012 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 831612)
Hopefully it's a wasp?

I think it may just be a fanboy whispering in my ear.

M&M Guy Mon Mar 12, 2012 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 831613)
I think it may just be a fanboy whispering in my ear.

Ahh...sweet nothings.

BktBallRef Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILRef80 (Post 831311)
What gets me in this game is Valentine's extremely late foul calls. He's literally waiting to see if the ball goes in and calling the foul 3-4 seconds after it occurs.

It's called a slow whistle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 831313)
... if I'm making $2500+ to do a game, I'm going to know there's .9 difference between game and shot clock at the end of a half.

So if you were making $2500+ to do a game, you would never make a mistake? :rolleyes:

Adam Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 831591)
This was the post that generated the fanboy comment, and I may have to agree with The Group. (Note the capitalization, and hence, the greater importance associated with it. :rolleyes: :D )

Your opinion. Without additional specific information, such as when the offense gathered the ball, we cannot agree or disagree. And your comment in a previous post about allowing 2 steps has no basis in the rules, as Snaqs has pointed out. This gives you either fanboy status, or, at best, shows your inexperience as an official.
Why is this wrong? If Mike was trailing the initial fast break players, he would have a great look at the goaltend.
Really? Literally? So the MSU player had his butt on Sullinger? Another comment that has fanboy written all over it, rather than speaking as an official.
Without describing the specific play, why should we take your word it was an "obvious foul"? As far as the T, if it was deserved, that's a good thing for Mike that he didn't let a (possible) bad call keep him from taking care of business. Whether or not a call or no call is bad does not give the coach an opportunity to act unsportsmanlike. A negative for Mike, in my mind, would be if he had allowed Izzo to go nuts without penalizing him.
This comment pretty much sums up your very likely fanboy status.

Finally, we have to take your word that the above examples were all in Mike's primary, that they were his calls, and that they really were incorrect.

I don't know how long you've been reading this forum, but we have fans come out of the woodwork at this time of year, using pretty much the terminology you've used here, to show how the refs have screwed over their team. Even some part-time officials show their full-time fanboy status this time of year. Or, some lower level officials like to simply crap on the higher level officials, because it makes them feel more important. We all screw up, even the Big Dogs. And we've discussed many of those plays. But your post shows either your inexperience, or your inner fanboy is leaking out.

Just my two cents.

(rocky, aren't you glad you asked? :eek:)

You could say that again.

Adam Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 831621)
So if you were making $2500+ to do a game, you would never make a mistake? :rolleyes:

That seems to be the prevailing theory among fans.

BillyMac Tue Mar 13, 2012 06:26am

And The Fashion Police Badge ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 831607)
A secret code between group members.

Someday I will, hopefully, become an esteemed Forum member and get the secret decoder ring. Do we get leather "Esteemed Forum Member" jackets like motorcycle club members wear? Now that would be really cool.

Eastshire Tue Mar 13, 2012 07:29am

Quote:

It was, IMO, more than a slow whistle on at least one occasion. The shooter was fouled on a 5 foot shot from the endline. The ball went up, bounced around a few times, finally fell off the rim and only then did V call the foul. It certainly looked like result-oriented refereeing than a slow whistle. It was the right call, I think, but I'd like to see it made as soon as it's obvious that it's a shot rather than when it's obvious the shot was not good.

I don't think Kitts had his best game ever, but I'm sure he did far better than I would have.

asdf Tue Mar 13, 2012 07:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 831528)
OF COURSE I'd like to work that game (as would many other officials in this forum) - who wouldn't?.....if you don't want to work that game then there is something wrong with you.

I wouldn't call it envy....that would denote a negative jealousy...which is not accurate. I'd call it "assignment aspiration".

Of course I realize that the groupthink mentality has me as a "fan boy" and won't change your mentality, so....lah me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 831035)
maybe I also secretly enjoy watching the "supposedly-best officials" (aka long-time veterans) who get to work ALL the games (based more on reputation than merit) make obvious mistakes.

Assignment envy..... (see -- "who get to work ALL the games")

Keep dreaming, because your lack of rules knowledge exhibited here and your fan-boy attitude will keep you right where you are.

rwest Tue Mar 13, 2012 07:50am

3-4 Seconds is not a slow whistle

Quote:

3-4 seconds is too long in my opinion. I agree with having a patient whistle and seeing if the contact affected the shot. If it was an easily made basket then I might view it as incidental. I'd have to see the play. However, if it rolled around on the rim, then I'm calling it as soon as I see that. Again, assuming that I deemed that the contact rose to the level of a foul.

Rich Tue Mar 13, 2012 07:56am

I watched the game. It was not a patient whistle -- it was "see if the shot goes in, if it doesn't then call the foul." I sure hope this isn't the direction advantage/disadvantage is going.

Of course, I had a similar situation on Saturday night where I gave my partner (the L) a chance to get the foul, waited a bit, then came in and got it from the C position. The coach actually asked me if I waited to see if the shot went in before calling the foul -- I reassured him that I don't officiate that way and I was just giving my partner an extra second or so to get that before I did. He was satisfied with that and life went on.

Welpe Tue Mar 13, 2012 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 831642)
I watched the game. It was not a patient whistle -- it was "see if the shot goes in, if it doesn't then call the foul." I sure hope this isn't the direction advantage/disadvantage is going.

Of course, I had a similar situation on Saturday night where I gave my partner (the L) a chance to get the foul, waited a bit, then came in and got it from the C position. The coach actually asked me if I waited to see if the shot went in before calling the foul -- I reassured him that I don't officiate that way and I was just giving my partner an extra second or so to get that before I did. He was satisfied with that and life went on.

You need to log into your regular account. :D

fullor30 Tue Mar 13, 2012 09:29am

Looking under Mike Kitts on you tube......ouch. Big games equals big exposure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09kyAefXZhM

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 831411)

Turtle! Phil Bova always ran with a hunched back.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:30am

I am joining the thread late as usual, LOL.

Matt S.: "Extremely poor awareness...not to mention he simply can't keep up with the speed of the game anymore--frankly, I'm surprised he earned today's assignment."

Really! Then you haven't seen a few Big East officials who shall remain nameless or me officiate.

BillyMac: "I haven't seen the video, but around these parts, this can be, in a few circumstances, acceptable. Remember we're 99% two person here in Connecticut. Breakaway, transition situation, one official, lead, and a few players in the new frontcourt, new trail is deep in the backcourt, lead hasn't reached the endline yet, and is 100% sure. Blow the whistle, look to make sure your partner, the new trail, is still way back in the play, he doesn't have a whistle, and then count the basket. Usually pregamed."

I agree and it can happen in a 3-man game too.

Snaqs and M&M: Your last post in color. Well said.

MTD, Sr.