The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:01pm
Esteemed Participant

More State Tournament Fun

So here is the excitement from Washington's 4A State tournament...the first video is of the full court shot that the Union HS kid hit at the buzzer. Union lost by 1. The second clip is of the possession right before the full court shot...same kid hits a shot and the C overrules the L during the timeout and calls it a 2...the guy at C ended up working the Championship game the next night.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
So here is the excitement from Washington's 4A State tournament...the first video is of the full court shot that the Union HS kid hit at the buzzer. Union lost by 1. The second clip is of the possession right before the full court shot...same kid hits a shot and the C overrules the L during the timeout and calls it a 2...the guy at C ended up working the Championship game the next night.
Forget something?
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Forget something?
Dang it...

Washington star Jordan Chatman hits full-court buzzer-beater ? which should have tied state semi | Prep Rally - Yahoo! Sports
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Ouch, I apologize for being critical, but this is unacceptable!

On the 3 that was changed to a 2, I only see one official in the screen. WTH is the C at?? Looks like hes lolligaging in the most pivotal part of the game.
Honestly, I dont see how the T could've marked a 3 point attempt judging by where he is. This is clearly an example of when the L should be cognizant of his partners poor positioning & sneaking a peak at the transitional game tying try.

And the last shot was clearly G O N E prior to the horn.

Here, if we do a semi thats it, we cant get the final too.
If thats not the case where you work, he should've lost that gig!
C'Mon man!!
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with tref, my first observation is where in the world are the officials? The C doesn't ever get past half court. That was CLEARLY a 3. So I'm guessing the announcer says its a 3 without any signal from the officials, and the officials convene and say it was a two because we were being lazy and not running the floor so we could see the play. The L probably should have picked up the slack here (since not much was happening in his primary yet) but you can't peg it on him. That is embarrasing.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Hard to defend the crew on this one.

The C chooses the last minute of the game to stop hustling, not a good look at all.

The Lead was hustling but had a lot of bodies in between him and the shooter so it would be hard for him to get a good look. Plus, as the Lead, I would have assumed the C was going to be in position to mark any 3-point shots on his half the court.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

This is why they pay for a 3-Man crew......State should get some of their money back. Geesh...
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

After reviewing the film & acknowledging my shortcomings that ultimately cost the kids a trip to the finals, I personally, would've removed myself from the C'Ship!

But then again, everybody doesn't review their work, ma.y times its just on to the next one. Smh

That being said, no... Nobody is perfect, I make mistakes too. I just try not to make em gamers.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
On the 3 that was changed to a 2, I only see one official in the screen. WTH is the C at?? Looks like hes lolligaging in the most pivotal part of the game.
Honestly, I dont see how the T could've marked a 3 point attempt judging by where he is. This is clearly an example of when the L should be cognizant of his partners poor positioning & sneaking a peak at the transitional game tying try.
While I agree with your assessment, please read OP again ... "same kid hits a shot and the C overrules the L during the timeout and calls it a 2". This makes it only worse.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:18pm
Esteemed Participant

A little added info...the visiting team (Union) called a timeout as soon as the disputed shot went in. The scoreboard put it up as a 3. The C (who was also the R of the crew) called the crew together. Apparently the L and the T both said it was a 3, but the C "overruled" them and had it scored as a 2. Apparently his argument was that neither of them could have had a clean look at the play - but somehow he did. I will say that I got all of this info from the guy who was the Alt. official and was sitting at the score table listening to everything. And no - they never asked him.

It is hard to defend them on this play. And it is hard to defend a system that allows the one guy who should have been there to get the call correct to then work the Championship game the next evening.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
While I agree with your assessment, please read OP again ... "same kid hits a shot and the C overrules the L during the timeout and calls it a 2". This makes it only worse.
I stand corrected, the L exhibited "a nice piece of officiating" by sneaking a peak. Not much more you do when the R takes over the game... well, except use the phrase that pays, "I'm 100% certain & I accept full responsibility!" If that doesnt work, then it is what it is...
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Do to my previous posts. I will remain silent on this one. It speaks for itself.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Doue to my previous posts. I will remain silent on this one. It speaks for itself.
Don't want to reveal that you agree with the group?
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Don't want to reveal that you agree with the group?
BNR,

Why you got to call me out like that? On my spelling (Due v Do).
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
All the more reason why I get upset at guys that don't value physical conditioning or try to get "in shape" during the season. Your inability to keep up with the game will rear its ugly head sometime. Only this time it was on the biggest stage.

Sad.