The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Interesting finish to a state tournament game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89776-interesting-finish-state-tournament-game.html)

buckrog64 Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:17pm

Interesting finish to a state tournament game

State boys' basketball: MFL/Mar-Mac trims Sioux Center | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

buckrog64 Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:19pm

I think there is more to this story than is printed here. I will try and find more. One story I heard indicated one of the teams realized the player had fouled out. That means the bench officials didn't notice?

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckrog64 (Post 830299)
I think there is more to this story than is printed here. I will try and find more. One story I heard indicated one of the teams realized the player had fouled out. That means the bench officials didn't notice?

I sure as hell hope someone writes a story with better facts and explanations than what I just read. :eek:

See, ref3808, this is why I don't trust a reporter's accounting of officiating decisions made in a game. ;)

JetMetFan Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 830305)
I sure as hell hope someone writes a story with better facts and explanations than what I just read. :eek:

See, ref3808, this is why I don't trust a reporter's accounting of offciating decisions made in a game. ;)

You mean facts which include whether the head coach of the offending team was notified his player fouled out? Yeah, that would be nice.

What exactly are "bench officials" anyway? :)

tref Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:59pm

I find this to be interesting! Whats the T for if the table didnt notify officials that the player fouled out?

If they were notified why did they shoot 2 FTS while the player was still on the court?

:confused:

truerookie Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:09pm

Was appropriate procedures followed on DQ'ed players?

Where is Anderson Cooper when you need him?

OR

Jane Velez Mitchell

rockyroad Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:27pm

Why does so much of this weird crap seem to come up during State Tournament games? Is it just because the games get more media attention during the tournaments, or are there really more odd situations happening in games when you would expect the best crews in the individual state to be working the games?

truerookie Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 830323)
Why does so much of this weird crap seem to come up during State Tournament games? Is it just because the games get more media attention during the tournaments, or are there really more odd situations happening in games when you would expect the best crews in the individual state to be working the games?

Rocky,

I will take #2 for $100 please. :)

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2012 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 830323)

I'll take #1. All these games have credentialed media in attendance and more fans than normal.

These same situations are not newsworthy on January 20th when 6-9 Buelah-Buelah is playing 9-4 GoGo HS.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 06, 2012 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 830334)
I'll take #1. All these games have credentialed media in attendance and more fans than normal.

These same situations are not newsworthy on January 20th when 6-9 Buelah-Buelah is playing 9-4 GoGo HS.

Not according to the wife of the assistant coach of Buelah-Buelah's JV girls team. That one call cost them their life's dreams.

buckrog64 Tue Mar 06, 2012 05:35pm

MFL/Mar-Mac survives controversial finish to top Sioux Center, 73-72 | Iowa Prep Sports

Here is another story concerning the game but I didn't see where it addressed how people came to the realization that the kid fouled out but hadn't left the game.

JetMetFan Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03pm

Just for kicks...

I e-mailed the reporter who wrote the article for the Des Moines Register. Here's what he had to say:

"Lots of speculation about who knew what and when. But my understanding is this from talking to the coach and officials: I believe the team bench was informed of the player's fifth foul. There were two Sioux Center players checking in at the scorer's bench, one of them with the express purpose of replacing the fouled out player.

The players checked in and two players came out, but the disqualified player was not one of them.

For the record, the Sioux Center coach never suggested to me that the game officials or bench officials were at fault.

Hope that clears things up. I think it was just a lot going on for the kids/coaches at the end of an exciting, close tournament game."

Adam Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:31pm

If that's the case, the officials should have ensured the DQd player left the game.

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 830359)
I e-mailed the reporter who wrote the article for the Des Moines Register. Here's what he had to say:

"Lots of speculation about who knew what and when. But my understanding is this from talking to the coach and officials: I believe the team bench was informed of the player's fifth foul. There were two Sioux Center players checking in at the scorer's bench, one of them with the express purpose of replacing the fouled out player.

The players checked in and two players came out, but the disqualified player was not one of them.

For the record, the Sioux Center coach never suggested to me that the game officials or bench officials were at fault.

Hope that clears things up. I think it was just a lot going on for the kids/coaches at the end of an exciting, close tournament game."

OK, now this version would make some sense. But now the question, whose responsibility is it to ensure the DQ'd player leaves the court if the coach provides a sub?

Per 10-5 I say it lies with the coach:

ART. 3

The head coach shall not permit a team member to participate after being removed from the game for disqualification.

Since the player becomes bench personnel after the HC is notified the HC is at fault for allowing a team member to participate. But it's still a situation where the officials need to be diligent in ensuring it doesn't happen.

SCalScoreKeeper Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:46pm

Took the words right out of my mouth BadNewsRef!
For a minute I thought that a State Tournament table crew missed notifying the officials of a player earning his fifth foul.
Question-If the official scorer notices that a disqualified player remains on the floor after officials have notified the HC can they ask their timer to hit the horn and notify the nearest available official as a matter of preventative officiating?