The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You Make The Call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89735-you-make-call.html)

Welpe Mon Mar 05, 2012 09:12am

I understand that but assume it is not and B1 is completely legal.

Raymond Mon Mar 05, 2012 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 829838)
I understand that but assume it is not and B1 is completely legal.

Then it's nothing.

The Absolute refers to plays where a defender is behind a ball-handler.

Welpe Mon Mar 05, 2012 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 829850)
Then it's nothing.

The Absolute refers to plays where a defender is behind a ball-handler.

I see what you're saying but that's not what I see in the post I quoted.

Raymond Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 829854)
I see what you're saying but that's not what I see in the post I quoted.

Yeah, I saw that, that's why I posted. Luckily I don't succumb to GROUPTHINK and just blindly follow other posters. :D

All_Heart Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 829759)
The C is standing there flat footed...never moves to get an angle on the play. No way he can even see what happens there. And then he stands there shaking his head from side to side...all he had to do was take one step up or down and he would have been able to make the call. Have to fight for an angle on plays all the time.

I'll have to disagree with this. The C is in perfect position to referee this play. Only "Move to Improve". C's position has nothing do with him not having a whistle on the play. I'll bet in hindsight that if he had a chance to call it again he would.

Raymond Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by All_Heart (Post 829871)
I'll have to disagree with this. The C is in perfect position to referee this play. Only "Move to Improve". C's position has nothing do with him not having a whistle on the play. I'll bet in hindsight that if he had a chance to call it again he would.

Agreed, I think the C had a great look. Just missed the call. I'm quite sure when he saw the tape he said "Doh!!!".

twocentsworth Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 829808)
Wrong. Ray Charles can't see. He's dead. Been dead for eight years.

EXACTLY!!!!! Even a blind, dead-man can see that this was a blocking foul....

rockyroad Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by All_Heart (Post 829871)

Ok...then I will have to disagree with you, too. Once the offensive player started his move, the C was looking at nothing but the dribbler's back. No way he could see the knee that got stuck out there by the defender. Imho, that's why he didn't have a whistle on the play. He should have "moved to improve" on this play.

VaTerp Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20am

Haven't read comments yet but this is a very close call in real time.

After watching the replay I think it's clearly a block. In real time, I see why this was passed on and think I may have done the same if I was not sure.

Seeing the ballhandler lose the ball though I think I would have gone block. And again, with the advantage of replay I think that's the correct call.

Adam Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 829903)
Ok...then I will have to disagree with you, too. Once the offensive player started his move, the C was looking at nothing but the dribbler's back. No way he could see the knee that got stuck out there by the defender. Imho, that's why he didn't have a whistle on the play. He should have "moved to improve" on this play.

I noticed that, too, when I watched it. I think he couldn't tell who was responsible so he hesitated and eventually gave up on the call.

rockyroad Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 829910)
I noticed that, too, when I watched it. I think he couldn't tell who was responsible so he hesitated and eventually gave up on the call.

Agreed...and since we are guessing here, my guess is that he thought the ball handler created contact and he wasn't going to "bail him out" after the player lost the ball. That's why he was shaking his head "no". Again - just guessing here.

rockyroad Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:32am

Uh-oh, snaqs...more "group think"?? Or is that "GROUP THINK"?:p

JRutledge Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:37am

You guys are not Ray Charles I see.

Peace

Adam Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 829915)
Uh-oh, snaqs...more "group think"?? Or is that "GROUP THINK"?:p

Come on man, it's one word. "GROUPTHINK"
How many flash cards and shock treatments does it take?

Adam Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 829917)
You guys are not Ray Charles I see.

Peace

Nope, I cannot play the piano (there are a couple of other differences, but that's the most significant one.)