The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What would your supervisors say? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89732-what-would-your-supervisors-say.html)

bainsey Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:20am

What would your supervisors say?

State championship game, first half. Very loud environment.

Team A is awarded the ball for a FCELTI. Ball is inadvertantly handed to Team B, and the throw-in is completed. Team A's fans go nuts. Within 1-2 seconds after the throw-in is completed, administering official blows his whistle, and awards the ball back to Team A.

What would your supervisor say to you if you had done this?

Rich Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 829574)

Team A is awarded the ball for a FCELTI. Ball is inadvertantly handed to Team B, and the throw-in is completed. Team A's fans go nuts. Within 1-2 seconds after the throw-in is completed, administering official blows his whistle, and awards the ball back to Team A.

Depends on the supervisor. I know how I'd feel personally if I was the supervisor: Disappointed that the officials lost focus and gave the ball to the wrong team, but secretly thrilled -- because I think the current rule and interpretation is beyond idiotic.

BillyMac Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:36am

Time Limits ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 829575)
I think the current rule and interpretation is beyond idiotic.

How would you make the rule better? At what point would you figure that it was too late to correct the mistake?

Rich Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 829577)
How would you make the rule better? At what point would you figure that it was too late to correct the mistake?

Easily done. Recognized before the next dead ball. Would allow officials to fix 95% of these situations.

wfd21 Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:44am

Quote:

It was "HER" whistle and one of the supervisors favorites.:D
But I am glad she corrected it, even though not allowed by rule.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:10am

Quote:

Bainsey:

What is "FCELTI"? Thanks.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:13am

So Goes Maine, So Goes The Nation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 829585)
What is "FCELTI"?

It's a wicked front court end line throw in. It's hard to type in a New England accent.

bainsey Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 829586)
It's a wicked front court end line throw in.

:D

Ayuh...

Anyway, I like Rich's idea for a rule change. Would we allow time to be put back on, too?

BillyMac Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:37am

When Did Maine Become A Foreign Country ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 829587)
Ayuh.

Urban Dictionary: Ayuh

Adam Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 829587)
:D

Ayuh...

Anyway, I like Rich's idea for a rule change. Would we allow time to be put back on, too?

Add it to the CE list in 2-10. All time elapsed, points and fouls count, so if something actually happens, it's really too late. But if the officials realize it and kill the play, they can fix it.

BillyMac Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:59pm

You Sure ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 829619)
Add it to the CE list in 2-10. All fouls count.

All fouls?

Adam Sun Mar 04, 2012 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 829620)
All fouls?

We're talking about how we would change it, so yes, I'm sure.

And even now, which fouls don't count? The only fouls that don't count have to happen during the unmerited FT in 2-10-4.

just another ref Sun Mar 04, 2012 01:17pm

Make it correctable until there is a change of possession.

OrStBballRef Sun Mar 04, 2012 01:23pm

I actually had this happen to me during a conference championship game/tourney a few weeks ago. 1Q I call a foul on a rebound and give the ball to the home team on the baseline. Partner ends up giving ball to visiting team who inbounds it before I can do anything about it Home team fans are all over us (naturally)...partner eventually blows his whistle as ball is approaching half court and we come together and realize it's not a CE and I get to explain it to the home coach we screwed up, but nothing we can do about it.

Coach actually quotes the term CE to me...while I was impressed coach even knew the term from the rule book, I explained this wasn't a CE, we screwed up, we're sorry, but nothing we can do about it now.

Long story short I think my supv would be ticked we gave it to the wrong team (and we were both ticked we let it happen), but even more ticked that we went against the rule book to give the ball back to the home team after we screwed up.

BillyMac Sun Mar 04, 2012 01:34pm

Unless Unsporting, Flagrant, Intentional, Or Technical ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 829625)
We're talking about how we would change it, so yes, I'm sure. And even now, which fouls don't count? The only fouls that don't count have to happen during the unmerited FT in 2-10-4.

Good answer. I didn't want to confuse the rookies.