The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First Technical - Anticlimactic (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89379-first-technical-anticlimactic.html)

Jesse James Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 827010)
BNR I'm aware of that, I was talking about the part that was underlined... running off the court :confused:

If its not a heated EOG situation with fans rushing the court & I'm not embarassed by the job I just did, then I'm proudly walking off the court.

Doesn't mean the guy in the second row was enamored with your performance.

Go.

Rich Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 826997)
Rich, whats that all about?

It's one of those things I was taught -- to never let my whistle be in a place where anyone can grab it.

I wear a noose, but it's not a breakaway noose. If someone grabbed my whistle they would probably hurt/clothesline me. So I take it off, usually as the clock is expiring or on my way off the floor.

I suppose I could just tuck the whistle inside my shirt.

Rich Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 827010)
BNR I'm aware of that, I was talking about the part that was underlined... running off the court :confused:

If its not a heated EOG situation with fans rushing the court & I'm not embarassed by the job I just did, then I'm proudly walking off the court.

It's consistency. There are times that we need to get out quickly. If I do it *every game* there's no interpretation necessary. It's not like I sprint -- I jog at about the same pace I'd move as the trail bringing the ball up the court.

Adam Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 827018)
It's consistency. There are times that we need to get out quickly. If I do it *every game* there's no interpretation necessary. It's not like I sprint -- I jog at about the same pace I'd move as the trail bringing the ball up the court.

Me too, and I instinctively tuck the whistle.

tref Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:55pm

I'm all for the tuck or removal, but running off the court??

And I've never given a damn about what a fan -errr- FANATIC thinks about my performance. Because quite frankly, what I do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what they say!

#pointblankperiod

Welpe Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 827025)
And I've never given a damn about what a fan -errr- FANATIC thinks about my performance. Because quite frankly, what I do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what they say!

It's not words, it's about one of them losing his head and rushing the court quickly.

Jesse James Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:59pm

Quote:

#pointblankperiod

You might hear their fist crashing against your teeth.

Go.

Adam Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:01pm

Quote:

#pointblankperiod

It's not what they think, it's what they might do when given the chance. I'm not sprinting off, but I am jogging. I'm not waiting for a handshake line, I'm not grabbing the ball, and I'm not waiting for grandma to start asking questions.

Whether I feel proud of the game has nothing to do with what the fans think, or coaches.

I've had one game, that I thought was called well, where a fan/father attempted to find us afterwards. No idea what would have happened had we walked off slowly.

tref Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 827026)
It's not words, it's about one of them losing his head and rushing the court quickly.

To each his or her own... running off looks cowardly to me.

Had a couple partners run off a while back & as the teams are shaking the WINNING teams coach says they would be alright if they ran that hard during the game as well.

tref Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 827034)
It's not what they think, it's what they might do when given the chance. I'm not sprinting off, but I am jogging. I'm not waiting for a handshake line, I'm not grabbing the ball, and I'm not waiting for grandma to start asking questions.

Whether I feel proud of the game has nothing to do with what the fans think, or coaches.

I've had one game, that I thought was called well, where a fan/father attempted to find us afterwards. No idea what would have happened had we walked off slowly.

Nobody said walk off slowly Snaqs. I'm moving with a purpose, just like during the game.

When the professor says stop running off the court, you stop running off the court.

berserkBBK Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:32pm

Quote:

And

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 827036)
To each his or her own... running off looks cowardly to me.

Had a couple partners run off a while back & as the teams are shaking the WINNING teams coach says they would be alright if they ran that hard during the game as well.

are contradictory statements. You say you don't care what fans think, yet running would be construed as cowardly to fans.

Looks like if you have a "good game" you want to be seen. The only people I care about seeing me are partners, my supervisor, and my family when I get home. Just hustle/jog off the floor.

MD Longhorn Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:43pm

Quote:

#pointblankperiod

We work in different areas - some worse than others... but running off the court is NEVER bad advice. And running off every time is definitely better than picking and choosing when to run off (it's the inconsistency that will offend someone some day). He's not sprinting or advocating sprinting. But he's not walking either.

tref Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by berserkBBK (Post 827063)
You say you don't care what fans think, yet running would be construed as cowardly to fans.

Looks like if you have a "good game" you want to be seen. The only people I care about seeing me are partners, my supervisor, and my family when I get home. Just hustle/jog off the floor.

Ummm no, sorry, never said it looked cowardly to fans just said it looks cowardly. #getitright

Could care less about being seen, well, unless its a camp setting.

Let me see, who shall I listen to Mr. George Tolliver or berserkBBK?? :rolleyes:

doubleringer Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:47pm

We had some discussion about this sort of action in my area over the last couple of seasons. It is my opinion, that if the T will not be shot and will not change the outcome of the game, assessing it is meaningless. In the OP, I'd say either ignore the coach or eject him, in this case it sounds like the coach earned an ejection. Having a T in the book carries no penalty and will be a joke to the coach.

Rich Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 827066)
Ummm no, sorry, never said it looked cowardly to fans just said it looks cowardly. #getitright

Could care less about being seen, well, unless its a camp setting.

Let me see, who shall I listen to Mr. George Tolliver or berserkBBK?? :rolleyes:

When I work in the NBA (with the amount of security they have), I'll walk proudly off the court. Until then, I'll jog off the court the same way, every time.