The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shooter can't shoot (re-enter later?) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89206-shooter-cant-shoot-re-enter-later.html)

youmakethecall Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:55am

Shooter can't shoot (re-enter later?)

NFHS - A1 fouled but can't shoot FTs due to being injured. Sub shoots free throws.

Can A1 EVER return to the game?

Can A1 return to game immediately after sub makes both FTs?

Can A1 return to game immediately after sub makes both FTs and timeout is called?

mbyron Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:57am

1. Yes
2. No
3. No

A1 was subbed for, and so by rule must sit until after the clock runs.

"Must sit a tick, need not play a tick."

youmakethecall Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:09pm

Thx .. And I should have been more clear ... "withdraw" below could imply A1 is done for the game. Any rule book support to allow a withdrawn player to be temporary?

Rule 8-2: The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by the team captain or head coach.

Rob1968 Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youmakethecall (Post 825640)
Thx .. And I should have been more clear ... "withdraw" below could imply A1 is done for the game. Any rule book support to allow a withdrawn player to be temporary?

Rule 8-2: The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by the team captain or head coach.

"Withdraw" is used to differentiate between the "five team members that are legally on the court at any given time" and other "bench personnel". See 4-34-1,2,3. It is not meant to infer the status of a team member, in regards to his/her eligibility to participate as a player.

Case Book 3.1.1 uses this simple definition of "withdraw."

bob jenkins Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23pm

Withdraw <> Disqualify

BktBallRef Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youmakethecall (Post 825640)

Any rule book support to require a withdrawn player to be permanent?

No. Absolutely nothing.

youmakethecall Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:52pm

Thx everyone for the quick responses. In summary, a "rules" coach (i know; purple winged dragon) could use this one to his advantage. And the "rules" official would allow it.

A1 hurt, can't shoot. A2 shoots. A1 has miracle recovery and reports to table and is allowed back in game after time has run off clock.

About right?

BktBallRef Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youmakethecall (Post 825655)
Thx everyone for the quick responses. In summary, a "rules" coach (i know; purple winged dragon) could use this one to his advantage. And the "rules" official would allow it.

A1 hurt, can't shoot. A2 shoots. A1 has miracle recovery and reports to table and is allowed back in game after time has run off clock.

About right?

Yes, he could. But in over 20 years, I've never seen one do it.

youmakethecall Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:57pm

Happened yesterday to me. 18 years.

mbyron Sun Feb 19, 2012 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youmakethecall (Post 825655)

Your "rules" official should bear in mind an axiom of all NFHS rules in all sports: promote participation.

If no rule clearly and explicitly ends a team member's participation for the day, then that member may participate. Latching onto "withdraw" as possibly a synonym for "disqualified" is bogus and violates the spirit of promoting participation.

Adam Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:36pm

I wonder if the NCAA rule change sparked some creativity in some unscrupulous coaches.
If we see this more and more, we'll eventually see a similar change in NFHS.

APG Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 825731)
I wonder if the NCAA rule change sparked some creativity in some unscrupulous coaches.
If we see this more and more, we'll eventually see a similar change in NFHS.

Yup, the OP's scenario is why NCAA-M and the NBA have their rules regarding replacing a designated free thrower and/or jumper (NBA) the way they do. Wouldn't surprise me if sometime in the future, NFHS had discussions on adopting a similar rule.

Scrapper1 Sun Feb 19, 2012 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 825736)
Yup, the OP's scenario is why NCAA-M and the NBA have their rules regarding replacing a designated free thrower

Doesn't the NBA rule differ from the NCAA rule in that the withdrawn player in the NBA actually can't return to the game? I know that used to be the rule. Not sure if it's changed. Perhaps that's the basis for the confusion in the original post.

APG Sun Feb 19, 2012 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 825744)
Doesn't the NBA rule differ from the NCAA rule in that the withdrawn player in the NBA actually can't return to the game? I know that used to be the rule. Not sure if it's changed. Perhaps that's the basis for the confusion in the original post.

Yes, he wouldn't be allowed back in the contest unless the injury was due to an unsporting act (FF2/punching foul) or if there's a FF1 call that also happened to be an away-from-the-play foul. In the case of a FF1 call with an injury, the offended coach would pick the shooter from any of the four remaining players on the court. If it's a FF2, then the offended coach could pick anyone including someone from the bench.