The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

fess up

With the season winding down, I was reflecting on some games and thought about my worst call/non call for the year. Hands down, everything a distant second, this has to be my worst call in several years.

BV, as new lead in transition, A1 driving to basket on breakaway, B1 catches him and fouls him before he can get an attempt off, I blow whistle he takes one or two more dribbles and makes layup. I half heartedly bang it home, count the basket and we're shooting one. Just horrible. Coach surprisingly didn't complain that much nor did crowd. It just sucked, I don't know why I did it and knew the second I did, it was the wrong call. Really a tough conference where I just get a handful of games and always get pumped up with the assignments.

There I've said it.......what say you?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:05am
Archaic Power Monger

I have an entire doubleheader on a Friday before Christmas I'd rather forget even happened. I was working with the subvarsity assignor in my chapter and the varsity assignor and chapter secretary were both observing.

I made numerous mental mistakes, missed some very obvious fouls and as a crew we lacked any kind of consistency. Admittedly, the level of play was not very good either but I let my officiating fall to that level instead of rising above it.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
With the season winding down, I was reflecting on some games and thought about my worst call/non call for the year. Hands down, everything a distant second, this has to be my worst call in several years.

BV, as new lead in transition, A1 driving to basket on breakaway, B1 catches him and fouls him before he can get an attempt off, I blow whistle he takes one or two more dribbles and makes layup. I half heartedly bang it home, count the basket and we're shooting one. Just horrible. Coach surprisingly didn't complain that much nor did crowd. It just sucked, I don't know why I did it and knew the second I did, it was the wrong call. Really a tough conference where I just get a handful of games and always get pumped up with the assignments.

There I've said it.......what say you?

In the back of your mind did you think that maybe B1's foul was an IPF?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Pull The Head Out!

GV about three weeks ago. I'm tossing at the beginning of the game, we have a new ref and this will be his first 3man varsity contest. I toss and the ball is immediately tied up just outside the circle. Neither partner whistles the held ball, so I quickly put my whistle in my mouth and blow. Show two thumbs up and say let's jump it up again. Original jumpers get back in position and I toss again, game gets started. During a timeout in the first quarter I hear a "psst" behind me, look over and see my friend, state tournament ref. I walk over and he quietly asks me if I know what I did wrong. I smile and say you mean the 5 fouls I've missed so far? He says no, on the second toss you blew it! Right then it hit me, *&^&* *(&(&*( *&*(&)(* I was supposed to have the two players that tied the ball up jump the second time! Poop!!! I've read about that situation on here about 10 times and passed the test question on this each time, but the first time it happens to me in a game do I remember? Dang that can ruin your day!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

First JUCO game of the year I had my first ever blarge & it was my fault (C) although I still believe I had the right call
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:58am
TODO: creative title here

For me, it was last Friday, hands-down.

Situation: boys 10th-grade/JV doubleheader, between two of the best programs in the Twin Cities.

The ominous signs first appear on Tuesday, when I email my partner to confirm the details of the game time and location. I receive a one-sentence response: "I show up dressed and on the court, so don't look for me in the dressing room"

Gulp.

Partner shows up about 9 minutes before tipoff, leaving us virtually no time to do a pregame.

Double Gulp.

The first game is very fast-paced and physical... the second game is a step above the first game in both respects... both games were faster then I'm used to, and I was having a very hard time making calls because of the speed and athleticism of the players. I never could get into a good rhythm the entire night, and it seemed to be painfully obvious to everyone in the gym that my partner and I were outclassed. I lost count of the number of instances where there was foul-level contact that I "passed" on because I couldn't get the whistle blown or couldn't figure out what to call. (and before you say "not all contact is a foul"... this contact was definitely a foul... I just kicked it... more times then I can remember.)

I was never so happy to be done with a doubleheader as I was that night.

Luckily, I got to get back to the gym on Saturday with another boys 10/JV doubleheader. The games was just as quick and athletic, but I was able to keep it in control, and my partner was MUCH MUCH better.

I just wish I could figure out what I could've done differently on Friday.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:12am
This IS My Social Life

Since It's Time for True Confessions

Quote:
. . . worst call/non call for the year . . . this has to be my worst call in several years.
Partners and I have been totally nailing every game, both V and sub-level this whole season...then IT happened.
Boys' 2-man frosh game, 5.3 seconds to go with team down by two with ball OOB needing to go the length of the floor past the defense who has been hacking away all game long up to this point. Break at a timeout to review coverage with partner -- good to go.
Ball inbounded. As trail, I'm responsible for throw-in under pressure; defense guarding the potential receivers of the throw-in; dribbler maintaining inbounds status while dribbling and tightroping up the sideline past both benches with screaming coaches; keeping an eye out for a hack-prone defensive team potentially hammering the guy all the way down a picket fenceline the length of the court; the fall-away, out-of-control three-point jumper with the shooter falling backwards out-of-bounds after release, the defense with a hand up in the shooter's face; the clock; and the horn.
Only lost track of one thing. With the scoreboard on the opposite side of the court, I had no visual awareness of the precise time elapsing, only the count in my head. The fans and the bench were screaming so loud the last thing I could hear was the horn.
Shot somehow swished through; gym goes nuts. Home team yelling "It counts! It counts!" Visitor players signalling, "No good! No good!"
I "thought" it was good, but sure would've liked to be able to give a 100% sure ruling, as time shifted immediately afterwards into slow motion.
Hoping my partner could be of some definitive assistance, I dart over to where he was on the other side of the court at the low post with nothing whatsoever to do while all this was going on. A kind of blonde-deer-in-the-headlights look accompanied his response, "Go with your first inclination--I couldn't tell for sure; it was out of my area."
I did and banged it "Good!"

The parents running after us into the lockerroom might have been a clue. The AD successfully body-blocked them from chasing us down. He, we, and the retired AD in the lockerroom shared our amazement over how close it was.
Anybody detect one further step I could have taken for confirmation which I forgot to do?
Signing the scorebook signed for the JV game, the timekeeper, an alumni from back when I used to play, remarked when asked about it, "I wished you'd have come to me. It was close. But it was no good."
Lessons learned registered in notebook. Measures instilled so as to prevent likelihood of that happening again.
Recovered nicely from it since then. But it still serves as a memorable blip on the screen of an otherwise great season.

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 11:56am.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Sometimes the most important benefit of a pregame is the process of getting us into the proper mindset for a game. Yeah, you go over various things that need to be addressed; double whistles, OOB lines, blind spots, etc. But you've also mentally prepared, which is just as important as warming up your body.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 11:19am.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Situation: boys 10th-grade/JV doubleheader, between two of the best programs in the Twin Cities.

The ominous signs first appear on Tuesday, when I email my partner to confirm the details of the game time and location. I receive a one-sentence response: "I show up dressed and on the court, so don't look for me in the dressing room"

Gulp.

Partner shows up about 9 minutes before tipoff, leaving us virtually no time to do a pregame.

Double Gulp.

The first game is very fast-paced and physical... the second game is a step above the first game in both respects... both games were faster then I'm used to, and I was having a very hard time making calls because of the speed and athleticism of the players. I never could get into a good rhythm the entire night, and it seemed to be painfully obvious to everyone in the gym that my partner and I were outclassed. I lost count of the number of instances where there was foul-level contact that I "passed" on because I couldn't get the whistle blown or couldn't figure out what to call. (and before you say "not all contact is a foul"... this contact was definitely a foul... I just kicked it... more times then I can remember.)

Luckily, I got to get back to the gym on Saturday with another boys 10/JV doubleheader. The games was just as quick and athletic, but I was able to keep it in control, and my partner was MUCH MUCH better.

There's an old saying that it's better to get to a level a little late than too early. Do you feel like you, personally, are ready to be working games like this?

That said:

I've worked boys games involving some of the top teams in the state -- most all of those are worked 3-person. I frequently show up early to watch the sophomore (essentially, the JV) game that's played before us. Worked 2-person, those games always look a lot harder to work from the stands than the varsity games feel from the court.

Of course, about 6-7 years ago, we worked those varsity games 2-person and while I felt I had no problems with the pace, it was just a lot of running up and down the court and getting the fouls we felt we needed to get.

If you feel you missed a lot of fouls, that can lead to the perception that the game got "out of control." Sometimes getting those fouls can slow down the pace of the game and clean up the activity. Sometimes not, in which case you'll be shooting a lot of free throws.

The lack of a pregame sounds and your reaction to it makes it sound like it pushed you out of where you needed to be mentally to be on top of the game early. Don't let your partner distract you (if possible) from being strong and aware early in the game.

That said, you crawled back on the horse -- it's all you can do.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:46am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
I blow whistle he takes one or two more dribbles and makes layup. I half heartedly bang it home, count the basket and we're shooting one.
So....this was an NBE game?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:50am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sometimes the most important benefit of a pregame is the process of getting us into the proper mindset for a game. Yeah, you go over various things that need to be addressed; double whistles, OOB lines, blind spots, etc. But you've also mentally prepared, which is just as important as warming up your body.
100% agree... earlier last week I was late getting to a game site due to a work emergency at my "real job", arriving 16 minutes prior to tipoff while still needing to change clothes. I had no time to mentally prepare, and I could tell my game suffered for it. Luckily, it was a 9th grade game, so nobody really noticed.

My standard is to arrive 40 minutes prior to tipoff (most of my partners show up about 30 minutes early, so I'm usually the first to arrive). That gives me time to change, clear my head of any 'regular day' distractions, stretch, and pregame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
There's an old saying that it's better to get to a level a little late than too early. Do you feel like you, personally, are ready to be working games like this?
Yes, I do feel like I'm ready. I had an off night but I know I can handle that level of play in general.

Quote:
If you feel you missed a lot of fouls, that can lead to the perception that the game got "out of control." Sometimes getting those fouls can slow down the pace of the game and clean up the activity. Sometimes not, in which case you'll be shooting a lot of free throws.
Looking back, the tone was set early... my partner passed on several rough play instances in his primary in the first few minutes, and I think I ended up with the brain block because I got stuck in "he didn't call it earlier, can I call it now?" mode. I won't let that happen again.

Quote:
The lack of a pregame sounds and your reaction to it makes it sound like it pushed you out of where you needed to be mentally to be on top of the game early. Don't let your partner distract you (if possible) from being strong and aware early in the game.
Agreed. And this particular partner's name is certainly in my "not blocked, but strongly prefer not to work with" list.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Gulp.

Double Gulp.

IMO, anyone who consistently shows up that soon before a tip disrespects the game of basketball, the teams about to play and their partner. They make us all look bad. These are the folks that should find another avocation.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

True Confessions ...

Everybody: For your penance, you all must watch Nicki Minaj’s Grammy performance three times..
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 07:13pm.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

You heard the horn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
...the fall-away, out-of-control three-point jumper with the shooter falling backwards out-of-bounds after release, the defense with a hand up in the shooter's face; the clock; and the horn...
...and saw the shot go in, made a judgment about what happened when, and call it "good". It would have been great to have exactly what you wanted, but it sounds like you did an awesome job.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Everybody: For your penance, you all must watch Nicki Minaj’s Grammy performance three times..
...I'll skip confession.