The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I love picking up games! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89060-i-love-picking-up-games.html)

stiffler3492 Fri Feb 17, 2012 04:33pm

I love picking up games!

More importantly, I'm glad my assignor can call me and I'm available to take the game.

Word to the wise, be available and agreeable!

fullor30 Fri Feb 17, 2012 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 825209)
More importantly, I'm glad my assignor can call me and I'm available to take the game.

Word to the wise, be available and agreeable!

Nightmare on Elm Street..........Freddy!

stiffler3492 Fri Feb 17, 2012 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 825232)
Nightmare on Elm Street..........Freddy!

Haha I think he called me three times today. Once for tonight and then twice about games on Monday morning

Welpe Fri Feb 17, 2012 09:19pm

I've only had to tell my assignor no once when he called me in a pinch and I was at the airport waiting for a connecting flight home. Being able to tell him yes almost anytime he calls has gotten me numerous extra games.

JugglingReferee Fri Feb 17, 2012 09:58pm

Although it was football, I worked a provincial bowl assignment because someone was actually late for such a game, and I had my gear in my trunk.

BktBallRef Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:18pm

I have never refused a game.

I have never turned a game back in.

Welpe Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 825282)
Although it was football, I worked a provincial bowl assignment because someone was actually late for such a game, and I had my gear in my trunk.

I always pack my grey shirt when I work a subvarsity game in hopes that they need me for the varsity game. Doubt it will ever happen but I'm ready.

DRJ1960 Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36pm

Trifecta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 825290)
I always pack my grey shirt when I work a subvarsity game in hopes that they need me for the varsity game. Doubt it will ever happen but I'm ready.

A few years ago.....Worked Middle School / JV boys DH... Varsity refs in fender bender.... Trifecta.:)

jTheUmp Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:16am

+1 to available and agreeable.

My first season I picked up about 10 games on a "night before" or "day of" basis.

It got my on the assigner's good side, and now I haven't had any "last minute games" this season because I've already been scheduled almost every day.

I did have to turn back one game this year during football season, but that was because I had the opportunity to work a college game, and my assigner was happy to find a replacement for me.

The_Rookie Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00am

I review the master schedule from my assoc. and communicate with the assignor what games work well with my demanding work schedule...He appreciates that one less ref to worry about and games covered:)

Publius Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:03am

You guys who like working would have really loved the old days, when you didn't have to depend on assigners to offer you games. You just went out and got what you wanted, where you wanted, when you wanted.

Ever since leagues went to assigners, my work has been cut by a third because I'm not willing to elevate last-minute games above the rest of life--what you guys call "being available." I never had to before, even though I worked a lot more, because I filled my schedule well in advance. My motto with assigners is, "If you wanted me to work that game, you should have offered it to me in the first place."

Because the majority of officials were too lazy to work to get better and/or fill a schedule on their own, leagues got frustrated and made officials join associations, with mandated training and game assigners. It raised the bottom, but it ruined things for many ambitious--both at getting better, and getting games--individuals who didn't just sit around waiting for teams to call them.

Revenues are driven down and expenses are up since individual initiative was relegated to the scrap heap. I live in an urban area with dozens of schools within 25 miles, and scores more within 50. I NEVER went outside the 25 mile radius of my house before assigners decided "You need to take your turns working the longer-distance games like everybody else--if you want to get games from me."

Entire training sessions are now themed around "How to get more and better games by sucking up to the assigner and asking 'How high?' whenever he says 'Jump!" " They don't call it that, but that's what it is.

Assigners add considerable value for the teams and leagues that need officials, and for officials who aren't bright enough to recognize that most of a successful officiating career takes place off the court or field. For officials with ambition, assigners add nothing and take a lot away. They're a pox.

constable Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:28am

Refusing games cannot be avoided in some cases. Some of us work rotating shifts and have varied availability. I try to email my assignors my availability ahead of time so they work around that.

If I'm not available to work a game it is as simple as that.

JRutledge Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 825285)
I have never refused a game.

I have never turned a game back in.

Both would be impossible in our system as people ask us to work games all the time at the same time as other games. And when weather becomes an issue turning back games or refusing to work games is also common. Of course I would not make a habit to turn back games, but it happens for all kinds of personal and professional reasons.

Peace

Adam Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 825417)
Both would be impossible in our system as people ask us to work games all the time at the same time as other games. And when weather becomes an issue turning back games or refusing to work games is also common. Of course I would not make a habit to turn back games, but it happens for all kinds of personal and professional reasons.

Peace

I don't make a habit of either. Locally, we only have one HS assigner, and the ms assigners all work through arbiter as well, so we don't get double booked.
Due to family issues, I had to turn some back last week, but stuff happens. I've volunteered to do doubles and even triples this year, and been quick to respond.

JRutledge Sat Feb 18, 2012 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 825421)
I don't make a habit of either. Locally, we only have one HS assigner, and the ms assigners all work through arbiter as well, so we don't get double booked.
Due to family issues, I had to turn some back last week, but stuff happens. I've volunteered to do doubles and even triples this year, and been quick to respond.

The Arbiter has definitely changed things for sure. Not much of an issue at the HS level anymore with conflicts and double booking as every assignor in the Chicago area are tied into the same system to view who is open and closed dates. That does not include college or other levels so that is where the conflicts can come into play here.

Peace