The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 10:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I Think He Really Didn't Know

Yet another first. FB, white ahead by about 15-20 in the fourth quarter (that's late in the second half for those of you in St. Paul). Red shooting two.

White leaves a space open, and red brings a third player in to fill it. I send him out and coach protests. I tell him they can't have it, and before I can say why, he says, "not if they don't want it." "Coach, you can only have two in there."

"Whatever."

That was the first and last I heard from him.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 11:05pm
Back from the DL

"Whatever" is the new "F.U.," especially in the last decade or so.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 11:35pm
We don't rent pigs

If this is a hijack, say so and we'll move it somewhere else. On the subject of current "can't believe he didn't know that" as it relates to veteran officials: I have two from the same guy. 20 year veteran, more or less. Calling with him earlier this year, he called an intentional foul on a shot, counted the basket, cleared the lane, put the shooter on the line, and announced................. "One shot"

Last week, on his way to a game, he called me with a rules question: "What's the deal with point of interruption?" I told him to be more specific, then had to kinda pry the details of the question out. I finally told him, "Double foul in the post, give the ball back to the offense where the ball was, not near the spot of the foul. Does this answer your question?" He said that it did. I could sort of hear him as he passed this information along to whoever was on the other end of the argument/discussion. Apparently he hasn't quite mastered that hanging up the cell phone thing.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 02:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I think in this case, it was the new "bull sh1t." I don't think he believed me, but I also don't think he was about to challenge me directly. He's been stung by that bee once already this year. Whether he believed me, I don't care, but he chose more wisely this time.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I think in this case, it was the new "bull sh1t." I don't think he believed me, but I also don't think he was about to challenge me directly. He's been stung by that bee once already this year. Whether he believed me, I don't care, but he chose more wisely this time.
You are too nice. I either ignore these type of coaches and don't bother trying to explain calls/rulings to them or simply let their players violate and then penalize them. It is far more effective.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 07:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm What You Call An Expert, I Have Two Daughters ...

Quote:
"Whatever."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
This is not the whole story. "Whatever" is only properly used by female coaches, under the age of thirty-five, and they must roll their eyes while they are making this statement. Without the eye roll, the statement is meaningless.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 08:33am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

"Whatever."

That was the first and last I heard from him.
Sounds like he was channeling a teenage daughter of his.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

I wacked a youth coach last weekend for the whatever accompanied by the two handed overhand "get away from me" wave. He called me over to ask me a question, I got two words onto my answer and I got the whatever.

If you ask for my time I'm happy to to give it to you, but you'd better be respectful.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is not the whole story. "Whatever" is only properly used by female coaches, under the age of thirty-five, and they must roll their eyes while they are making this statement. Without the eye roll, the statement is meaningless.
+4 (from each of the girls in my house)
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:10am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I wacked a youth coach last weekend for the whatever accompanied by the two handed overhand "get away from me" wave. He called me over to ask me a question, I got two words onto my answer and I got the whatever.

If you ask for my time I'm happy to to give it to you, but you'd better be respectful.
Ah the dismissive wave, nothing will kill communications with a coach faster.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post

The two handed wave in that situation is likely going to bring a serving of tea at any level.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You are too nice. I either ignore these type of coaches and don't bother trying to explain calls/rulings to them or simply let their players violate and then penalize them. It is far more effective.
I had responded to his loud, "Don't push him out of there." I looked at him to make sure he was talking to me. He ran right through my warning last time I had him, but I had a feeling he needed to be addressed to prevent his frustration from boiling over. I'm willing to entertain the idea that I should have ignored him, though.