The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm just kind of surprised that nobody has commented at all on Game 1 of the NBA Finals. There were definitely some interesting moments from an officiating standpoint.

Kenyon Martin's putback/slam in the 2nd quarter that looked a whole lot like BI from where I was sitting.

Then back-to-back block/charge calls, each of which appeared to me to be wrong, both in the 2nd quarter within about a minute of each other.

The first was an offensive foul called against SA after the dribbler had faked two guys right out of their shorts. He then drove to the basket from the C's side of the court. The third defender came over to help, but his feet were definitely on the RA circle. The Lead official then called the offensive foul. First of all, it seemed like a bad call b/c of the RA consideration. And second of all, why did the Lead make the call in the first place?

Then on the other end of the floor, SA was called for a block, when it sure looked like the defender was in perfect position, outside the RA and took the contact right on the torso. Lead again called that foul, but at least it was in his primary.

Anyone have thoughts?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Easy calls to make from the sidelines!

AK ref SE
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The first was an offensive foul called against SA after the dribbler had faked two guys right out of their shorts. He then drove to the basket from the C's side of the court. The third defender came over to help, but his feet were definitely on the RA circle. The Lead official then called the offensive foul. First of all, it seemed like a bad call b/c of the RA consideration. And second of all, why did the Lead make the call in the first place?

If we're thinking of the same play, I didn't think he was in the RA. But the quick replay didn't really make it clear. However, I did question whether the defender was set before the shooter left the floor. Joey Crawford was the L. It was definitely bang-bang.

Incidentally, I attended a camp with Joe DeRosa about 12 years ago. He was working the game as well. He only worked 2 years of HS before moving up to D1, and was in the NBA by his 6th year. Talk about the fast track!!
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Guess What Chuck?

There not even talking about the NBA Finals in New Jersey!
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I'm just kind of surprised that nobody has commented at all on Game 1 of the NBA Finals. There were definitely some interesting moments from an officiating standpoint.

Kenyon Martin's putback/slam in the 2nd quarter that looked a whole lot like BI from where I was sitting.

Then back-to-back block/charge calls, each of which appeared to me to be wrong, both in the 2nd quarter within about a minute of each other.

Then on the other end of the floor, SA was called for a block, when it sure looked like the defender was in perfect position, outside the RA and took the contact right on the torso. Lead again called that foul, but at least it was in his primary.

Anyone have thoughts?
Hey Chuck, the problem here is the NBA's conspiracy to keep the finals a complete secret. Which is why they decided on San Antonio vs NJ.

Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Anyone have thoughts?
Hey Chuck, the problem here is the NBA's conspiracy to keep the finals a complete secret. Which is why they decided on San Antonio vs NJ.

Sheesh...NJ's gym is walking distance from Central Park West (4-5 miles, but you can bet no one from NYC will be walking)....that's pretty far out in the boonies according to the old New Yorker map (ah, well, they couldn't get the Knicks in...Joisey will have to do):

http://mappoint.msn.com

Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I only saw a quarter of the game and the few bang bang blarge calls I saw were definitely blocks but called charge. I was just curious as to whether they were called charge because the previous calls were called charge. I know that is what I have done in a few games under similar circumstances..
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to lettommybe
I'm expecting a 4-0. Spurs win the championship.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Red face

The NBA is STILL Playing???
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to lettommybe
haha,guess who's gonna lol in game 2
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lettommybe
I'm expecting a 4-0. Spurs win the championship.
Think you need to revise your "expectations" after last night.